PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ladies in their 50's

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Chloesue
Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:21
I am looking for female buddies in their 50's to join me in our weight loss journey.I am 52,married for 30 years.We have two daughters ages 25 and 26.We have been blessed with one grandson who is now 27 months old.
I have been on this WOE since January.I have lost 22 pounds.I am so glad that I have found this forum.It has given me the extra push that I need.As of yesterday I started riding my stationary bike again.I have set a goal to ride it at least 20 minutes a day for at least a week.After the first week I will see how I feel.If I am not too sore I will increase the time to 30 minutes.
Hope others my age will join me here.Will look forward to meeting you.
Nancy :wiggle:

MizSteaks
Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:02
I accept the bike riding challenge! WOOHOO! I need a push to get back on mine. How fast are we going to pedal? I like staying around 15 to 17 mph. Is that acceptable or shall we just go at our own speed? I will TRY for 20 minutes tomorrow. It's been a couple months since I've been on mine and my knees are a problem right now. But...no excuses! Thanks for the 'push'...I needed it.

Hey...great 'given' name you've got there Chloesue! Us 'Nancys' have gotta stick together!

Low Carb Pedal Power!!
Nance

You know...we could have our own excercise thread geared to working around aching joints and call it the Pedal Pushers or something. Just another random thought. My brain is short circuiting today!

Chloesue
Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:13
Hi Nancy,
It's great meeting you.Glad you want to join me in riding our stationary bikes.To be honest I don't even know how fast I am pedaling.I got my bike at a yard sale last year.I still need to figure out how to take the cover off of the area where the battery goes.Until then I just pedal away and go for 20 minutes.
Chloesue is the name of one of my cats.It's always hard to pick a good username so I thought that I would give the name of one of my cats a try and it worked:)
Good luck with riding your bike.
Nancy

MizSteaks
Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:31
Well it doesn't matter how fast...what matters is the DOING it right? Thanks for getting me motivated. That's what I was hoping to have happen on here!

Nancy to Nancy
G'Nite!

MizSteaks
Sun, Jul-27-03, 11:31
Whew! I had forgotten how GOOD it feels to move! Thank you Chloemae for getting me up off my duff. Did 20 minutes this morning and that added up to 4.8 miles!

Have a great day!
Nance

Chloesue
Sun, Jul-27-03, 11:58
Nance,
Hope others join us here.It would be nice to have a few others join us in our exercise and being accountable to others.
I have riden my stationary bike for 20 mintues both Friday and Saturday.I just started riding it again on Friday so I am doing really good so far.
Haven't ridden it yet today but I will :wiggle:
I have noticed that I seem lighter on my feet now that I am exercising again.I did some shopping at our Super Wal-Mart already today.It was nice to walk around the store and get some walking in also.We have a huge Super Wal-Mart.I was all over the store so I am sure I got a lot of walking in.I would love to get a pedometer.Do you have one?
Keep up the good work on riding your bike. :thup:
Nancy

RoseTattoo
Sun, Jul-27-03, 15:36
Hi, I'm 53 years old, with two young children (through the miracle of adoption). My issues aren't as much with weight as with very high cholesterol/triglycerides and a terrible familty history of heart attack, stroke, and vascular dementia. So I'm low carbing as a way to try to prevent these dire things. Anyway, I would love to be part of an exercise support system, because that's what I find the hardest. It's nice to meet you and hopefully we can all motivate one another. :)

Chloesue
Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:57
Hi,
Shall we call you Rose? I am Nancy and our other exerciser is Nance.

Congratulations on adopting your two children.How old are they?Please tell me about them.

I am the grandmother of a 2 year old grandson named Jeremy.I stay very busy during the week taking care of him while his parents work.Some people mistake me for his mother when my hubby are out and about with him.That is a good feeling since I will be 53 in a few months but still feel much younger.

Nance and I are both riding our exercise bikes for our daily exercise.I am riding mine 20 minutes a day.I started riding it again on Friday.I am a little sore today but know I need to keep riding it regardless.

What kind of exercise will you be doing?

I will be looking forward to getting to know and cheering you on with your exercise :wiggle:
Nancy

MizSteaks
Sun, Jul-27-03, 19:51
Hi Rose! Boy! I bet you tired of people commenting on how tiny you are, don't you? My sister is almost exactly your size and she HATES it! To see the two of us together is almost comical. We not only are totally different sizes but we LOOK nothing alike! LOL!
I rode my bike for another 10 minutes this afternoon cause it made me feel so good to do that 20 minutes this morning. Bless Nancy (Chloesue) for issuing the challenge. It sure got me up and going!

Have a terrific evening Ladies!
Nance

Chloesue
Sun, Jul-27-03, 20:43
Nace,
Way to go on riding your bike for 30 minutes today!!!
Are you sore at all?Today I am rather sore from riding the bike.I am just not used to it.I rode it the 20 minutes again today but it sure was hard.
Hope the soreness goes away soon.
Nancy

RoseTattoo
Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:32
Good morning, Nancy and Nance. Congrats to both of you for such strenuous exercising. :) I have a bad knee, so my aerobic exercise is limited to walking. But I walk very briskly for about 3 miles a day. It's been much harder lately because it's so hot and humid here. But it's getting to the point where I am desperate to go wakling if I've missed a day, so I guess that's good.

I'd like to get some weight-bearing exercise in, too. It's just so boring! But I know I have to do it--so if you two could gently "force" me, it would be great. :lol:

My children are 14 and 7. The older child is Dominican, the younger is Mexican. They keep us hopping...but I have to admit, on occasion I've been mistaken for their GRANDMOTHER. Grr. So obviously I have to do more to keep in shape, LOL. Yes, I'm tiny, but preserved, like a lemon. :lol:

Anyway, I hope you two have a wonderful day.

Leidon
Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:47
Hey Ladies!

Congrats on your exercise programs!

I have just started my new WOE and happened across this website and this forum. Glad you have started this tread, just what I was thinking of the other day. Reading your posts have inspired me to get up and do something!

I am soon to be 52, ugh!, and really having a hard time getting up from this desk and start walking or any exercise.
I find my self at the computer at least 10 hours a day, and my butt shows it!!! :lol:

I have a treadmill right here behind me in my office at home, but it has stuff stacked or hanging off of it! I NEED TO GET IT CLEANED OFF! I did go for a walk yesterday, about 1 mile, and boy I was totally out of breath! What happened to the spring in my step???? :cry:

Well I am gonna try and get off here (GET UP!!!) and clean up that treadmill! Wish me luck! :agree:

MizSteaks
Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:45
LOL Leah!! Thank you for my first laugh of the day and welcome to the group!!! I love your 'touring' quote!! I WISH I had a treadmill so maybe if you cleaned yours off I could come use it too? (Did that work? LOL!)

Rose, I also have bad knees which is WHY I choose the excercise bike. I can set the tension for whatever is comfortable and I can peddle at any speed that feels good. Right now it is no tension and about 14 mph felt good yesterday. I live in the country and have unlevel dirt roads to walk on which is not safe with bad feet and bad knees. :(

Chloesue I am a tiny bit sore but (YEP..that's where! The BUTT!) not too bad. Might have to put a pillow under me today to manage but will give it a go. After all, a deal is a deal! My leg muscles seem fine today so that's good.

Have a glorious, heart pumping day today!
Nance

Leidon
Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:21
Nance,
Glad I gave you your first laugh of the day!!!! :p

Well I will have all you know that since I posted earlier, I did get off the computer and started cleaning off the treadmill. Whew, that was exercise in it's self. I had to clean out the closets first to have a place to put all the stuff in. Why do I keep all that stuff anyway....clothes that don't fit, boxes and boxes of just plain stuff!!!! (note to self: either have a garage sale or sell it on ebay!!!)

Actually I had to clean the whole "office" room (where the treadmill is) because the cable co. was coming this AM to hook up Cable Internet Access, so there was no way a person could get around in there if they wanted. I finally got it all cleaned up and you can actually get to the Treadmill.:cheer:

Oh yeah Nance, the quote is because my hubby and I ride a Goldwing Motorcycle which is the love of our lives! We just love it. But even if we are lost for real, we just saying we are touring!! It's a nice quote for life also. :spin:

So here I sit at the computer again :nono: with the treadmill just behind me, all cleaned off and saying "Leah come on, get on, it will be just fine"...

Ok, here I go, I'm getting off the computer and on the treadmill :yay:
Will let you guys know later how it went!

Leah

MizSteaks
Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:00
Go! Leah Go! YEA for Leah!! WOOHOO...moving, she's moving!! LOL!

Sounds like the treadmill gave you an excuse for more excercise than you planned on! And...can I say that I am terribly jealous of anybody lucky enough to have cable access?! There is no chance for me here in the country. Have old telephone wires and dial up access...can you say sloooooooow?! One of the drawbacks of living here on 'Heaven on a Halfshell'.
The bike sounds like fun and getting lost/touring sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day. That is as long as you find your way back home eventually!
So glad you've joined us here. Look forward to really getting to know you. I look forward to really getting to know ALL of you!

To successful low carbing!
nance

Chloesue
Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:58
Leah,
Did you ride the treadmill today? Just start out slowly and work your way up.

My stationary bike was also used for hanging clothes.Since Friday it has been cleared off and used.I rode it 20 minutes on Friday,20 minutes on Saturday,20 minutes on Sunday and 25 minutes today.

I finally figured out how to take the battery case off.The only problem was that I didn't have 4 double A batteries to put in it.Will get some tomorrow then I will know more what I am doing on the bike.It logs both time and mileage.

I had a thought about the mileage.have heard of people using a map and logging the mileage on it as to how far they ride then seeing how far it takes them on a map.Thought that might be fun.All I know right now is how long I am riding but not the distance.

I've been enjoying all of our posts.Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Nancy

MizSteaks
Mon, Jul-28-03, 21:59
Nancy, that's exactly what I do on my bike! LOL! I know it is one mile from home to the golf course entrance, it's 2 miles to the high school (before the bridge was out), it's 3.9 miles to the grocery store...etc. It's really fun to visualize where I am progress wise. I even do it another way. I have over 1000 miles on this bike and I have made 'road trips' all over the state using the same method.

You know what would be fun? See how long it takes us to peddle...or in Leah's case, walk....to each other's house! You guys game for that? Or to each other's state or something to make this some FUN! Got any ideas along those lines?

Happy huffing and puffing! :yay:
Nance

Chloesue
Tue, Jul-29-03, 04:29
Nance,
I really like your idea of seeing how long it would take to peddle where each other lives.

I live in the southern most part of West Virginia in the mountains.There would be a lot of huffing and puffing up and down the mountains :lol:

Please tell me where you live Nance and Leah so I can check it out on a map and on a mapping site for distance.

Hope everyone has a really good l/c day.Since Friday I have done really well.

Nancy

MizSteaks
Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:51
Good morning Nancy! Looks like we're the only ones in the Lounge today. Sigh. Too bad. I was hoping we could get more people involved here. I won't give up though...this is too great a site to not make it work. I feel awful when I look at the threads and I was the last one to post on almost all of them!

Nancy I live Southwest of Portland, Oregon right up by the Washington border. If you can find Beaverton on a map, I am another 11 miles due west from there. Afraid I won't be joining you on the bike ride for a few days though. My butt was sore yesterday from a darned old boil! Just canNOT sit on the dinky little bike seat until it goes away as it is right where it hits wrong. LOL. I'll have to walk beside you to a Leslie Sansone tape today and tomorrow at least...but by gosh..I'm MOVING!! :D
Have a terrific Tuesday!
Nance

GalacticGa
Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:05
Hi Nancy,

I'm 54 and pleased to be here. I knew it was time to lose weight when I saw pictures of myself at my daughter's wedding--Yikes!!

I'm just starting induction and there's so much to learn. (Years ago I used to do Stillman and I'd eat the cottage cheese with corn chips. No wonder I never lost much weight.) Now, I've read the Atkins book cover to cover and I'm going to go clean out and re-stock my pantry. I'm READY!!!

I've been on HRT for years and my doc said it was time I should start to get off it, so I've been lessening my doses. I'll be looking for support and helpful tips in that category, for sure.

All I can say at this point is, it's great to be here and I'm SO looking forward to feeling better and lighter!

Rian

Chloesue
Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:19
Rian,
It is so nice having you join us.Good luck with Induction.It isn't all that hard.Some people try to make more of it than it really is.
I've been on this WOE since January.I've lost 25 pounds with many more to go.The last 2 months I have gone up and down the same 3 pounds.I am getting serious again.I found this forum a few days ago.It has been such a motivation factor for me.
Nance and I are doing a challenge to ride our stationary bikes.That keeps me really motivated.
You have done the right thing by reading the Atkins book before you started Induction.I did the same as you and got rid of lots of foods that we didn't want tempting us.
If you have any questions ask away.Jump right in and make yourself at home.We will look forward to getting to know you.
Nancy

Chloesue
Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:23
Nance,
So sorry that you have that nasty boil and can't ride a long with me.Believe me I know how you feel.It's been years since I have had a boil but I was fortunate to not have one where it must hurt to just sit down.

Good for you for walking a long with Leslie Sansone.How did you do?

I have a Richard Simmons Sweatin to The Oldies exercise tape which I love.Haven't done it in awhile.Thought I would concentrate on riding my stationary bike now.It seems to be a harder workout than Sweatin To The Oldies.

I forgot to buy the batteries for my bike when I was out today.Will get them as soon as possible since I know having the odometer etc..will make the bike riding more pleasurable.

Nancy

RoseTattoo
Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:13
Hiya, everyone. You all sound as if you were making tracks today. :) I love the idea of charting how far we bike/walk, to see the distance we cover. I'm in eastern Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia, should anyone want to come this way. :lol:

Chloesue, I love Sweatin to the Oldies! But unlike you, I can't even do the whole tape, let alone wish for more vigorous exercise. I walked my 3 miles last night, and today brought my son to the science museum, which is vast and includes climbing LOTS of stairs, so I feel fairly well worn out. But I MUST do my Pilates tape one of these days. :)

Food went well today, except for the hot dog minus the bun that I ate by default at the science museum (it was the least toxic thing there) :daze: Must get enough veggies in tonight.

Have a good evening, ladies. :)

mizholly
Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:53
greetings all!

I'll be 53 in December and feeling better all the time. We've been LC'ing for 4.5 years and exercising regularly for longer than that. Soreness is always a surprise, but that's what comes of trying something new. It really does go away - just don't stop doing what you're doing.

Right now DH and I are doing 3 days of 4+ mph walking and 3 days of nordic trak/exercise ball (hopefully to incorporate the strength training thing) - we call those our torture days.

I'll be honest though, some days, all of this really wipes me out and I drag my butt through the rest of the day (whining and moaning as needed :-). But, little by little, I do feel stronger and more able. Hellzbellz, I can even do some pushups, can you believe that??

So, we'll keep on doing what we need to - we all have choices, and this is a much better one, don't you think?

Stay well and keep smiling, it really does help.

Holly :roll:

MizSteaks
Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:19
Wow! What a great surprise to stop in here and see new faces! Welcome all to Chloesue's excercise thread! It's a lot more fun to excercise with friends than to try to go it alone. :D

I struggled through just the mile tape today Nancy. Sigh. Between plantar fasciitis (sp?) in left foot and both knees giving problems it makes it tough. But by darn I'M tough too! I think this might be a cyst instead of a boil. It comes back in the same place about every 3 months for the last 12 years!! If I wasn't so embarrassed by it...and it seems unimportant somehow...I would tell the doctor about it.

I cannot go clear down to induction levels without my creatinine levels going wonky (kidney function). I can only go down to about 60 carbs per day so I am in a 7 month stall. But the weight loss is secondary to me. I just want the good health and that I'm getting!! I have another Dr appointment in a couple weeks and we'll discuss whether I can go lower. I'm a heart by-pass/kidney failure survivor so have other problems besides the weight.

Keep up the good work ladies!! Let's hope some of the guys stop in and join us. We can bike/walk/skip our way across America!!

Blessings to all,
Nance

RoseTattoo
Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:54
OK, I'm going to the gym and I'm going NOW. :angel: Right after I post this, I mean. :lol: I will walk three miles on the track and then try the Nordic-track type thingie (forget its name) for at least ten minutes. Then I will lift my pitifully light weights and do some crunches. And if I bail out, you all are invited to scold me to your hearts' content. :nono: :lol:

MizSteaks
Wed, Jul-30-03, 12:12
Hi guys! Sorry I'm so late this morning but 'puter keeps crashing! :(
I bit my lip and rode the bike, boil and all! I decided that if I let every little pain or problem keep me from excercising I would probably never move again! LOL! SO...I only lasted for 8 minutes but that was better than nothing. I think it was almost 2 miles.
Y'all have a good day today...gonna post this quick before I crash again!
Nance

Chloesue
Wed, Jul-30-03, 20:31
I just wrote part of a post and lost it.Hope I can remember what I wrote,lol.

I rode my stationary bike 20 minutes today.I bought the batteries for the bike but the odometer still isn't working.My hubby said that he would look at it tomorrow.

Wish I knew how far I was riding it when I ride it 20 minutes.Do any of you have a rough estimate of how far I would be going in that amount of time.I know I really feel it when I peddle away.

Nance.....You did really well walking the mile yesterday.Then you managed to ride your bike for 8 minutes today.Way to go.Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your computer.

Rose...How did it go for you at the gym today?

Nancy

MizSteaks
Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:57
Nancy, here's an idea. Count how many revolutions your right foot goes around for one minute. I'll do the same number of revs on my bike and see what the odometer says. How's about that?

I stopped using my second bike when the odometer broke on it. I LIKE knowing those silly little things...it makes it more FUN!! LOL! This bike is a cheapy that will not last too much longer, but so far everything works unless I work too hard. Then I slip the belt and come to a screeching halt until hubby can overhaul it. Makes me slow down a lot more than I like to.

Here's something interesting that I got in an email from RealAge today:

Quote...
Engaging in low-intensity exercises not only will burn extra calories, but it also may safeguard your heart.
A recent study compared the effects of different kinds of exercise on the cholesterol profiles of older women. After several weeks, heart-friendly cholesterol changes were observed in the women regardless of whether they performed high- or low-intensity exercises. The heart benefits depended on how long, not on how hard, they exercised.

RealAge Benefit: Exercising regularly can make your RealAge as much as 9 years younger.

End quote...

Hope they don't mind me sharing tht since I gave them full credit for it. Thought it very pertinent to this thread.

Nite all!
Nance

Leidon
Wed, Jul-30-03, 23:42
Hey Ladies!!!!
Sorry I haven't checked in with you in a while. It looks like you are all doing pretty good.

I like the idea of charting how far it is to each others home. I suppose I better get walking more, cuz at the rate I'm going, it will be a very long time before I would get to see each of you! :lol:

Well the last two days around here have been very trying. We got the modem cable set up to my computer (Mac), then we had to network hubbies PC into the system, which meant going to buy Ethernet Card, and a router!

Needless to say, I was busy the whole time searching websites to get info on how to hookup all this "techy" stuff! For some reason, during my glorious ( :lol: ) 50's, I can no longer remember things!!!! :cry: It is awlful, do you guys have that problem too????? I waste more time trying to remember where I put something than I do anything else during the day!

But I got it all hooked up and luckily hubby and I are still together (we both have our own ideas on how to do things!) :lol:

I did get on the treadmill for about 15 minutes yesterday, but have to figure out how to get some kind of laptop stand to hook on the bar rail...so I can be online while I'm exercising!!!! :agree:

What an invention that would be (is there such a thing out there already?).

Well for those that are charting "exercise trips", I live in Northeast Texas (Daingerfield), 64 miles southwest of Texarkana, and 100 miles east of Dallas. I live in the Piney Woods of East Texas!

So hop on those stationary bikes or whathave you, and crank 'em up! I will leave the light on for ya!

ps: Just finished my 1st week of induction, YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!! :cheer:

I will stop in tomorrow and check on you guys!

Chloesue
Thu, Jul-31-03, 04:43
Good Morning Ladies,
Wanted to check by for a quick hello before my grandson arrives.

Nance...Thanks for the suggestion to check for how many rotations my right foot makes in 1 minute.I will try that today and let you know.Thanks for the Real Age tip.I get receive those tips in my e-mail box plus a few others.When I come across some good ones I will be sure to share them with everyone.

Leidon...Congratulations for getting through your first week of induction.How are you feeling after the first week?Friday will make one week that I have really stuck to this WOE without little side trips a long the way.I feel pretty good.I'm also not as sore as I was the other day after first starting riding my bike.
I am nodding my head in agreement as to how my memory is slipping too.I know my daughter Kimberly gets aggravated with me when she asks me questions about a previous tv show's episode and I tell her that I don't remember what happened.I am hooked on some of the reality TV shows such as The Amazing Race and Big Brother.You will find me on my bike during these shows.

I just heard on our local news that bottled water is a booming business now.I know for a fact if I am out and about I now buy a bottle of bottled water to drink instead of a diet soda.I drink so much water now that a bottle of diet soda tastes so sweet to me now.Glad I have gotten to the point that I would rather have a bottle of water than a bottle of diet soda to quench my thirst.Have any of you found this to be true for you also?

Hope everyone has a great L/C day.Keep up the good work:)

Nancy

MizSteaks
Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:04
Morning gang!

Nancy, I counted between 80 and 85 revolutions this morning and that was around 14 mph. I lasted a whole 10 minutes for 2.2 miles! Giving new meaning to the expression "no pain, no gain"! LOL! Maybe we need to pick a central point in the USA and all aim for it? Open for suggestions on how to do this!

Rose, did you make it to the gym yesterday? Way to go lady! We'll end up being the healthiest group on the site in a few months. Well,we have some catching up to do to some of our members...but that's a challenge also. I notice some are way ahead of us with their excercise programs. Hooray for them!!! We can use them as examples to copy.

Leah, my short memory is so short it is almost nonexistent. Especially for names and numbers. I can still remember my sister's phone number from 30 years ago but can't remember the one she has had for the last 5 years! And I call her often!! SInce the big surgery I also have a type of dyslexia wehre I transpose numbers and letters. (I'm not going to edit the one I just did! wehre=where!)

Off I go to the shower and breakfast. Temp is cooling off here to 90° to day so I am going grocery shopping.

Have a glorious, healthy, happy day!!!
Nance

Chloesue
Thu, Jul-31-03, 17:22
Nance,
When you counted the 80-85 revolutions in what amount of time was that?

I did as you suggested and counted my revolutions for one minute.I did 41 revolutions in a minute.My bike is set rather tight so you really pedal hard.I haven't found a place on the bike to loosen it up any.

I also lasted for 10 minutes.I try to do at least 2 or maybe 3 times on the bike for 10 minutes each.I have managed the whole 20 minutes at one setting but that is rather hard.

That's a good item to pick a place in the central part of the US.We could all go to Map Quest and do a route and find the mileage.Now what city should we pick?Any ideas as to what city is centrally located.I know they call St.Louis the gateway to the west.I lived in that area for 5 years.
Let's put our heads together and come up with a place.

Nancy

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:05
Chloesue, that was for one minute. My bike 'cycles' the information on the read-out screen every 30 seconds and I just multipied. Surprised I remembered how! LOL!

I like the idea of St Louis, MO! That sounds pretty darn central to me. LOL! I actually didn't bike today, but went for a fast walk down to the river...all-in-all about a half to 3.4 mile, but it is not level. There's one fairly steep stretch that had me huffing pretty good. I just bought the New Balance shoes the podiatrist wanted me to get for the PF and needed to try them out. I am amazed! No pain and no blisters...feel like having custom made slippers on!

Hope everybody has an ACTIVE day today with the best of LC eating!!

Be Healthy!!
Nance

mizholly
Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:04
Hey Nance,

Please tell me more about the new shoes - I wear New Balance too and I'd love to get some new ones. Not to be a dummy, but what's the "PF" that you needed the shoes for?

Thanks,

Holly

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:46
Sorry about the abbreviations mizholly! It's because 'plantar fasciitis' is hard to spell...and I don't know if I got it right that time! My podiatrist says it will heal by itself if I take good care of my feet...I refer barefoot to shoes, big no-no :(...so he recommended New Balance 735's. I went to a New Balance fitting specialist (check out their website and they will direct you to a specialist in your area) and they did not have those but gave me 734's. Can you say AHHHHHH!? They make me want to have them on ALL the time! SO worth the eighty dollars I had to shell out for them.

Good luck finding something comfortable to wear.
Makes all the difference at the end of the day.

Oh! And welcome to the gang if I have not welcomed you before! :D

Stay healthy!
NAnce

Leidon
Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:04
Ladies,
St. Louis sounds wonderful to me, my three sons and 3 grandchildren live there. I haven't seen them since last October! I also have a sister that lives there. I lived there for 15 years.

From where I live to St. Louis is: Total Distance: 622.13 miles
Total Estimated Time: 10 hours, 24 minutes (Driving!!!) :)

Let's see if I walk 3 miles a day.....it will take me 208 days to get there. (29 1/2 weeks or about 7 months from now) OMG, that would be around March of 2004!

How about if we all do real good (I havent been on the treadmill in 2 days) on our diets/exercise we could all plan on meeting in St. Louis for a get-together!!!!!! It will be our mini goal and we could celebrate. What do you guys think??

Here I am saying all this, and I'm having a hard time getting off the computer to hop on the treadmill for more than 15 minutes!!! Right now I'm trying to figure out why hubbies printer is not working since we went on a network!!! (does using what brain cells you have left, count as burning calories????)

Nance....sounds like you got yourself a good pair of shoes. I really need some too, and for $80 they better be real comfortable!!!

Gotta run (well, not actually run....walk that is)
Hollar at you all later!!!

"Meet Me In St. Louis!"

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:27
Leidon(Leah),
Which do your prefer we call you?

I lived in the St.Louis area from 1985-1990.We lived in Florissant.Where did you live in the St.Louis area and where do your sons and grandchildren live?

I'm going to go to Map Quest and map out a trip so I will have the distance and driving time to print out.

Will be back later and let y'all what I found out about my journey.

Nancy

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:41
My Trip to St.Louis:

I am 610.83 miles from St.Louis
10 hours and 5 minutes driving time

Once Nance plots her mileage(I am afraid that she lives further from St.Louis than Leah and I do) we start our trip.

We need to pick a starting day so we can all start our journey together.

This should be fun:)

Nancy

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:44
I forgot to tell how long it would take me to get to St.Louis.If I average 4 miles a day on my bike it should take me about 5 months which would be January.The month of January in St.Louis is very cold so I better hurry!!

Nancy

mizholly
Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:51
Oh my ...

Hope you'll all wait for me. Our trip is nearly 1500 miles, looks like we might make it for Thanksgiving ... 2004

Howz bout we meet in Albuquerque ... tee hee :-)

One step at a time, eh?

Holly :lol:

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:50
LOL! I haven't had this much fun in years gals! I will try to find time to do the map quest thing. For now I have to go rearrange freezers. We have to pick up our beef tomorrow and there's over 2,000 pounds of it! You guys should come to my house and we'll BBQ!!! LOL!

Oh! I walked this morning AND did my Oxycise tape this afternoon! It feels so good to get back to moving again! I stay active on this five acres, but it isn't like sustained activity that does the most good.

Blessings All!
Nance

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:45
HOLY MOLY Guys! I have to peddle my arse 2,110.32 miles! Am I going to be in good shape or what after all of that?!! LOL! I figure I can do at least 5 miles a day so that makes it...ready?...422 days or until October 1st, 2004!! Yikes!

Guess I'd better get started! LOL!

Nite all!
Nance

RoseTattoo
Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:24
Not fair. You all are cycling, and I'm just walking. It will take me years to get to St. Louis at this rate. :lol:

Just kidding. I think you women are super. I wouldn't have the stamina to get on an exercise bike. Walking fast is about as much as I'm up for these days. :)

I found a personal trainer at the gym who has a reasonable fee, so next week I'll start working with her. She has a bad knee too, so we'll be in sync. By the time I get to St. Louis, I should look like Ms. Bodybuilder, right? :lol:

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

Chloesue
Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:59
Sorry Nance,
I was afraid that you were going to be further from the rest of us to St.Louis but I didn't realize it was going to be twice as far.

Would you like for us to change it to maybe Kansas City MO or some where more central to all of us.I would need to get my Atlas out later today and try to find a more central place.In what area of Oregon do you live?

I am down 4 pounds this week after weighing this morning.I am so happy,happy,happy!!! :yay:

Nancy :wiggle:

MizSteaks
Sat, Aug-02-03, 22:05
Good evening gang!
I don't mind having to travel 2 or 3 times further than everyone else. It is just going to take me longer and make me work harder. That is the kind of challenge I need to get me going.

If, however, you want to make this fair for all comers...bikers, walkers and those who cannot excercise to our capacity...maybe we need to change the goal?

Chloesue, this is your thread. What do you think we should do? Maybe have two challenges going? The one we are getting ready to start and maybe another one that is just time spent moving...see who can spend the most time? I just don't want anybody to feel left out of the fun here! :)

It's just a thought after reading Aleka's post over on some of the other threads.

Have a great weekend!
Nance

Leidon
Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:55
Hey Girls!
First I want to say, this is so much fun!

I have to deduct a day from my schedule arrival time in St. Louis. I didn't get on the treadmill today, hubby and I went motorcycling instead!!! And it was hot...about 97 degrees! We had a wonderful time though with the chapter we ride with. I probably sweated off another 5 pounds though.

Nancy.....My real name is is Leidon (pronounced Lee-ah-dawn) but most people don't know how to pronounce it so I just go by Leah....its easier! I lived in St. Louis around 1975 till 1983. My first husband and I lived in Glasgow Village, I'm sure you know where that is. We hung around alot in Florrisant though. I have two sons that live in St. Charles (and also the Grand Kids) and one lives in Florissant. My sister lives in Lake St. Louis.

I would love to plan our exercise trip to anywhere.....I just love to travel (why we got the Touring Motorcycle...gonna be in Springfield MO at the end of the month for motorcycle rally and my screenname on AOL is "TxChikTraveler).

Where ever you guys want to go or do....I will be right there with you. I'm game for anything!!! I'm going back over the threads to see where everyone is from and write it down (senior moment, again) so I will remember...LOL!

P.S. weighed today...lost 7 pounds!!!!! And I promise I will do better on the "exercising"!

Leidon
Sun, Aug-03-03, 00:17
Silly me....it says where everyone is from on the left side of the post under your name...duh!!!!!! :confused:

So far we have....
1) Nancy (chloesue) in West Virginia
2) Nance (MizSteaks) in Oregon
3) Holly (MizHolly) in (might of missed when you posted exactly where) Desert?
4) Rose (RoseTattoo) in Pennsylvania
5) Leah in Texas

Right? Wow we are spread around a bit....

Get the maps out and decide a meeting point... :read:

Ready.....Set......Go!!!

Check with "ya'll" later!!

mizholly
Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:21
Happy Sunday!!

:yay: Why so happy? DH and I have chosen Sundays as our one day off from formal exercise and (ugh) sweating.

Anyway ... Leah, I'm in Tucson, Arizona - just about a million miles from everywhere ... so here's a thought.

Howz 'bout we have a 100 mile club? We can pick a day to start and head out. Everyone that finishes wins. Of course the real "jockettes" among us will simply have to sit around and twiddle their thumbs until us slow pokes catch up ... but, it could be fun and good motivation.

DH and I currently walking the mall for 3 days a week (figure about 2 miles per day) The other 3 days we Nordi Trak and Exercise Ball - it's about 2 miles on the Nordic Trak, but it sure feels like 5 miles UPHILL!! When we're "good", which is more often than not, I guess we do an average of 2 or 3 miles a day, six days a week at approximatel speed of 4 mph.

Stay well everyone and keep on tracking!!

Holly

MizSteaks
Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:43
Good morning Leah and Holly! Day off for me here too. That makes 2 in a row...oops...better NOT make this a day off. That's how I get off track.

I don't care how we do this challenge really. It is just such great fun to have other people to do it with! I think maybe we need to get a sidecar for your bike Leah and then Aleka could go with you! She wants to join and fractured vertebrae from osteoporosis makes it impossible.

That mall walk with your hubby sounds like fun Holly. My hubby seldom every goes for a walk with me since he walks miles and miles every day on the construction sites. Some of the buildings he builds cover 5 to 10 acres so he is not interested in more walking when he gets home!

Off I go to climb on that bike! At least Mt Vesuvius (the b*tchin' boil!) has settled back down for now so it doesn't hurt QUITE as bad!! For now I just hang that cheek off the edge of the seat and thank my stars I don't have to worry about steering! :D

Have a glorious Sunday!
Nance

Chloesue
Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:24
Good Morning Ladies,
Sure was nice to see all of the postings on here this morning.Looks like we are all ready for a good challenge.

Since we are just starting out on our first challenge I like the idea of who can travel 100 miles the fastest.That would keep us all motivated and on track.

After that challenge we could then see how we did and then maybe go on to a longer challenge like maybe some where centrally located to all of us.

When do y'all want to begin this challenge? Any day is fine with me.I haven't taken a day off from riding my stationary bike since I started riding it 9 days ago.

Who all wants in on the challenge??

Nancy

Chloesue
Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:33
Just read Holly's post again.I sort of jumped the gun.Previously missed the part about whoever finishes the 100 mile challenge is a winner.I like that idea so others may want to join us.This might be a great push just to get others moving.

We can encourge each other a long the way but not be so concerned about who finishes first or last.Everyone that finishes is a winner.

I am also going to plot this as a virtual trip since I know a nice town about 100 miles from us that we frequent quite often.

Nancy

Chloesue
Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:41
Leah,
Weigh to go with losing 7 pounds.That is fanatastic.I lost 4 so we are doing really well!!

Would love to see another good loss this week.I am tired of being around the same weight the last 2 months.It was nice to see my precentage lost go up to 29%.I am almost one third of my way to my goal.

What a small world to know that you have a son that lives in Florissant.I really don't miss the summer heat there.Back when we lived there we experienced a really hot summer when we went for days with the temperature in the lower 100's and the night time temperature rarely getting below 80.
Here in the mountains of West Virginia our summers are mild.We rarely get above 90.

Since you had a good loss now you need to do better with exercise.I know this challenge will be just what you need:)

Nancy

Chloesue
Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:46
Nance,
Aleka is welcome to join us.About 16 years ago I took a nasty fall and experienced a compression fracture of a lower vertabra so I can empathize with Aleka.A fracture of that sort is so very painful.It helped me to move around but I couldn't walk too far before my back would start bothering me.So glad those days are behind me.I still have to watch how I treat my back.I'm not suppose to do any heavy lifting or sudden bending.

How long ago did Aleka suffer the fracture?Would she mind if I went to her journal and dropped her a few words of encourgement since I know what she is going through now?Let me know plus I would also need to know her journal location.

I need to get some of my bike riding in earlier in the day today.Yesterday I was gone most of the day and ending up doing most of my riding in the late evening.That was a little too much in such a short amount of time.

Nancy

mizholly
Sun, Aug-03-03, 10:03
Just one more thought ...

Howz about we do a "time spent moving" thing. Set a start date (tomorrow?) and let's see who spends the most time at it between now and the end of the year.

Time may be more important/relevant than distance since so many of us are doing different things at different speeds and so forth.

Okay, that's my vote .. a "time moving" challenge.

Opinions please ....

Holly

Leidon
Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:31
G'mornin' everyone,

Im ready. I am making a form so I can write down, time spend,distance, etc.

If we do the 100 mile thingy... heres where I could go,
Traveling:
1) West - Dallas (can visit sister, shop!)
2) North - Broken Bow, OK (beautiful scenic area)
3) Northeast - Arkadelphia, AR
4) East - Shreveport, LA (visit casinos!)
5) South - Lufkin, TX

I checked over my treadmill for the trip...Its rearing to go.
Im ready to start when ever given the "go"!

TxChikTraveler on the "go" again!!!

MizSteaks
Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:57
Leah I just popped over to the Senior Support thread and invited Alerka over to ride with you! She has osteoporosis and sees her doctor tomorrow for another fracture... :( I don't think she should have to miss out just because moving is hard for her right now...right?) I also invited Azraelle over even though he is the opposite gender. A man or two isn't a problem, is it ladies? If it is, we'll encourage the guys to start a challenge of their own...maybe an Iron Man challenge or something. I certainly don't mind making this coed, but this is Nancy's call.

I like the direction the thinking is going here! It's effort put forth...not distance covered that counts. Let me know the final decision and I'll be right there with ya! :)

Breeak time is over...back to pruning the hedge. My REAL excercise for the day! LOL!
Nance

Leidon
Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:41
Nance
The more the merrier! This is gonna be fun.

I just figured out how to do the Buddy List thing on here, now I will know when everyone is online.

Is there a way to find out, through the BuddyList, where the person is on the forum??? I just found the "Chat" room on here too...kewl.

Gonna go and work in the yard a while. Just bought a bird bath and need to set it up and gonna plant some flowers/plants around it. Our yard is so bare...the grass barely grows...its been so hot here.

That will be my exercise today too! LOL

Catch ya'll later.

MizSteaks
Sun, Aug-03-03, 15:01
Whew! I've certainly gotten my excercise! Got the hedge pruned, pruned a huge bush that was bothering me, drove truck for the neighbor to get in hay, mowed the front lawn with the little lawn mower, not the riding one :), got the roast in for dinner with the kids and did a blitz krieg cleaning of the house! Huff...puff...puff...splat! That's me hitting the wall! I'm pooped and need some recupe time! :D

Leah, I told my hubby what we are doing and he got the biggest kick out of how my attitude has changed in the past three weeks. It all has to do with finding this forum. I have to steal my minutes on here but I sure am having fun learning my way around! When you learn all the ropes here, you an teach the rest of us, okay?!

Have a good afternoon and evening!
Nance

Chloesue
Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:21
Hi All,
Guys are welcome to come and join us.We middle agers need to stick together.Notice I didn't say elders or seniors,lol.

It will be fun to encourage each other.

Sounds like Leah and Nance have been busy both inside and outside of the house.We had a rainy day here today.Our temperature is already down to 66 which is quite pleasanat.

I am still trying to find my way around the forum.I need to figure out the buddy list and add all of you.

I already rode my stationary bike some today.I went to K-Mart and looked at their one and only stationary bike.They didn't have it on display so I wasn't really sure what it was like.Not sure if it would be hard to put a bike together out of the box.Do any of you have any thoughts concerning that?

My hubby looked at my stationary bike and said that the battery department isn't corroded so he isn't sure what the problem might be.For now I am just guessing with Nance's help how far I am traveling.

Nancy

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:34
Huff, puff, pant, whew! Just got my 20 minutes in on the bike so I could sign on and say "Good Morning Gang"! What a motivator! Can't sign on and come to the website without riding first! LOL! Rode slower this morning...12 mph...which ended up being just 4.2 miles but was comfortable.

Nancy, I hope you get the bike situation solved to your satisfaction. I worry only because having to pump that HARD on yours might cause some injuries.

I have a much quieter day planned today than that phrenetic mess from yesterday! LOL! I did those with ease years ago, but they take their toll on me now. Now I have to space them out with some sloooow days in between!

Good luck with the low carbing and the moooooving today!
Nance

mizholly
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:50
We're off to the mall - hooray for us :cheer:

[By way of explanation ... for those of us who live in the western desert, outside exercise at this time of year is TOTALLY out of the question ... even way to hot at 7 in the morning. So, our local shopping mall opens its doors at 7 for the walkers in the community. The stores are all closed, but we get the run of the place (so to speak). Great fun - window shopping at mach 5, always something different to look at and of course, I've got great company :p ]

Suggested to hubby that we add another lap (we do three times around the mall now) - he's all for it. Every little bit helps, eh?

Ever Onward,

Holly

Leidon
Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:44
Good morning/afternoon everyone,

Wish I had a mall real close to walk in, we live about 36 miles from nearest mall. So for now my treadmill will do, unless I get out and walk outside. But with the heat, dont think I should do too much outside, unless in the early AM (don't get up till 9 though! LOL) or in the evenings. Guess the heat here is not as bad as Holly though!

I just did a short 10 minutes on treadmill, after not being on it after a couple days, it wears me out, hurts the back part of my legs. And smoking cigs. is not helping either. I have decided to try and give that a try too (stop smoking), but its hard when DH smokes too!!! I guess I will take one thing at a time!

I will try and get some more walking on the treadmill in later this evening.

Catch ya'll later, gotta run (drive that is!!!) :) to the store. Will check in with everyone later.

Happy Exercising and Low Carb'n!!!!

RoseTattoo
Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:22
Great going, everyone! Even this nasty summer isn't slowing you guys down--that's terrific!

I tried to get out for my walk today, turned the corner, and--it started to rain. Ran back home. About an hour later, the sky cleared, went out, turned the corner, and--it started to pour. Thinking the third time would be a charm, I went out...you guessed it. :lol: If hubby gets home early enough, I'll go to the gym tonight. If not, I suppose I could always run up and down the stairs. :wiggle:

So while all of you have made it to Kansas City, I'll still be in the vicinity of Cleveland. :roll:

See you all later. :)

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:17
LOL! I can always count on my spirit being lifted when I come here! You gals are a hoot!

I just tried doing a mile with my daughter to the Leslie Sansone walking tape. We were doing pretty well when my grandaughter walked in front of me and I ended up kicking her and hurting my little toe! LOL! Then we lay on the floor in giggles for about 5 minutes! Does that count as excercise?! Fortunately we're both okay and the toe will heal some day. I also finished the 5 miles on the bike. That's my goal for each day...a minimum of 5 miles. Not too long ago I was doing almost 20 a day...funny how fast we fall out of shape. :(

I may have time to check in later this evening. If not...see ya tomorrow!! ONWARD! LOL!
Nance

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:40
Sure is nice seeing everyone stopping by and checking in.

My hubby and I went out looking at stationary bikes today.Think we have given up on the one I have.Only paid $20 for it at a yard sale last summer.When I get the new one I think that I will put the old one out in the yard with a sign saying that it up for grabs for anyone that wants it and see what happens.

I am going to get a stationary bike that is on sale at Sears.Since our trunk is so small we are going to use our daughter's SUV to pick the bike up tomorrow.Sure hope they have it in stock.

I have ridden my bike for 20 minutes today.I may ride it some more a little later.

Can't complain about our weather today.It's been in the mid 70's and sunny with a nice breeze.Now they are saying that we might have some severe storms this evening and over night.

Holly.....our small mall is about 5 miles from us.It also opens early for the mall walkers.They have an organized group of walkers that walk the mall every morning.How far do you walk when you go 3 times around?Did you make it 4 times around this morning?

Leah....My daughter Kimberly just bought a treadmill.I got on it for the first time on Saturday.I did ok for my first time but when I got off of it I felt like I was still going.Do you ever get that feeling?Good luck with quitting smoking.Your lungs and general health will thank you for it.Let us know how you are doing.

Rose......Your rainy weather sounds like what we have had this summer.I really can't complain though since we have been averaging days in the 70's instead of the 80's.It has been a rather mild rainy summer here in the southern part of West Virginia.

Nance......Sorry to hear that you hurt your toe when your granddaughter walked in front of you.How old is your granddaughter?Sounds like something my 2 year old grandson Jeremy would do.You did really well riding 5 miles on your bike today.

Nancy

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:43
Our Challenge

Thought I would bring the challenge up again since we should be starting on it soon.

Do all of you agree that we should first start out with a 100 mile challenge with the main focus of just reaching the 100 mile goal?

Any suggestions on when we should start?I will be getting my new bike tomorrow but then again I don't know how long it will take us to put it together,lol.

Let me know your thoughts.

Nancy

Leidon
Mon, Aug-04-03, 19:47
Hey everyone,
Well I just got home from going to the town where the mall is (36 mi away), and did some walking there. The only reason I was there was cuz DH wanted to go and get some paint mixed to paint our new trailer we built to tow behind our bike.

Not sure how far I walked but I was getting out of breath, so we decided to go eat at Jasons Deli! They have a wonderful "Atkins Special" meal. It consisted of a grilled chicken breast covered in cheese, steamed (?) vegs (cauliflower/brocolli) and a cup of cheese soup (not sure if I should of eaten the soup, but I did anyway...LOL) it was wonderful!!!! I had no idea that resturants would cater to low carbing folks!!! Now I have made it my mission to check all the resturants around our area to see if they have Low Carb meals!!! If so, I will tell the manager that I appreciate the fact that his place of business is thinking of the health of their patrons. If they dont, I will suggest that they should!

So now, I'm gonna go and put the tennis shoes on and mossey on over to the treadmill for thats yelling, "LEAH GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE AND HOP ON".

Nancy: I suggest we start the challenge as soon as you get your bike up and running. And the 100 mile goal is fine for me.

Catch ya'll later, after I get my self off the treadmill...wish me luck!!!

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:15
Nancy, I agree with Leah. Let's wait until you have your bike ready to go. Then we start. This other is just practice for the main event! LOL! BTW Congrats on getting a new one! WOOHOO! I had a really good one from Sears and loaned it to my GS to rehab his leg after he got the steel plate out of it. He broke it playing football...then he broke the plate...so he was laid up for about 3 months and his leg looked like a toothpick when he was healed. Well...the 3 GS's broke 2 pieces on it and my daughter made them buy GramCracker a new one. This one is a 99 dollar special that I cannot go nearly as fast on but it is really comfortable. DD has informed them that cannot touch it! LOL!

Grandaughter is 7. She was exercising with DD and I and we just got carried away! We had all 3 kids up strutting their stuff to gospel music...such a kick (literally!). I didn't make it quite the 18 minutes or one mile, but I put some more time on the bike until I got to 5 miles.

That low carb dinner sounds scrumptious! I hope more and more restaurants will get with the program. I see Applebees is offering Weight Watchers meals so there's hope!

Rose, your weather reminds me of that old song "Walking In The Rain"! Sure wish we'd get some. It would settle the dust here on Heaven on a Halfshell. They're combining wheat across the gravel road from us and the trucks go right in front of the property in and out...in and out...all day long! Hard to breath here! Just walk when you can or get one of the tapes and walk in your living room. It is really a good workout and tons of fun.

Speaking of hard to breath. I quit the cigarettes on October 5th, 2002 after ending up in the ER with a case of viral induced asthma. You know that picture of a fish out of water flopping around gasping for air?....That was me! Decided I was never again going to be in that postion and threw them away and quit cold turkey. Easiest thing I've ever done...must have been God having a hand in it because the first eleven million times I quit it was really tough! Hubby still smokes...just does it outside. My DD bought me a box of the patches and I never even opened them. I am not that strong so it had to be divine intervention. I still get the urge every once in a while and I take one of the 3 remaining cigarettes and 'pretend' puff on it 2 or 3 times and then I'm good to go for another month or two. Craziest thing I've ever heard of and it works for me.

You guys have a great evening and I'll see ya bright and early in the morning. To Moooooving!
Nance

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:57
Hi All--I'm temporarily laid up so I am going to try and be your--"" cheer leader "" ---o.k. Cloesus??? Here goes Gals- Rah Rah---Sis Boom Bah---Throw that fat away--Ha Ha Ha!!!! Never was a cheer leader, but the sentiments are sincere. Hi Miztakes--Thought I would stop by as you suggested. Go for it--All you Gals!!! --Have a Great day!! Aleka

mizholly
Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:41
Hi Aleka

Thanks for the cheer - we all need all the help we can get!! We haven't set the start date yet, so keep up the pep rallies! :cheer:

Sorry to hear about your injury - hope your feeling better soon.

Holly

Leidon
Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:50
G'mornin' Everyone

Wow we have our very own cheerleader :cheer:

Thanks Aleka for stopping by and giving us a cheer (?)! LOL
That was so sweet!

Last night I did another mile on the treadmill, and boy oh boy, does my back feels it. I am going to try and get some more "walking" in this am. (Have to be ready for our challenge)

Right now I'm trying to get all files ready - I have an unemployement appeal hearing tomorrow (3p.m.)...and I want to win this appeal sooooo badddd! My exboss did me wrong and I want to make it so hard on him. I have to get my witnesses and evidence all ready. The only thing I have to really concentrate on is being focused and CALM! (and believe me thats going to be hard for me to do! LOL)

Anyway I will give it a shot! So I have decided that while on my treadmill I will take out all my anger while walking. (hope that works)

I will check back in later with you guys!

"Exercise, Exercise......rah rah rah" :cheer:

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:11
Keep up the good work Gals!!!! Aleka

Chloesue
Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:15
Hi Aleka,
So ncie to meet you.Thanks for being our cheerleader.We need all of the support we can get.

Where in Illinois do you live?

I am anxious to get my new stationary bike this evening.Can't get it till my daughter Kimberly gets home from work so that we can use her SUV.

Have a good day everyone.Keep a moving!!!

Chloesue
Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:19
Leah,
Good luck with your unemployment appeal hearing.I will be thinking of you tomorrow around 3.

I had to go through the same process with a workmen's comp appeal.Had to get a lawyer.I worked in the kitchen of a nursing home.I was walking across a hall and it was wet.There wasn't a sign in sight about the wet floor.I slipped and fell.In the process I had a compression fracture of a vertabra in my lower back.What a painful injury that was.It took about 2 years to get that claim settled even with a lawyer.

Need to get off of here.Have some things to finish before picking up grandson at 2.

Nancy

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:29
Hi Chloesue---Thanks for the hello--I live in a small town in Illinois called Centralia. It is about 60 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri. A hole in the wall so to speak. Leah- Hang in there and when you get nervous--do some deep breathing. That always helps me stay focused on what is important. Good Luck!!! Aleka

MizSteaks
Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:08
Morning Ladies! I'm late! I actually slept in this morning and now I feel like I was dragged through a knothole backwards! I am sore and sluggish and don't care if I move or not!! Boy! That cheer was a welcome sight Aleka! Might get my blood to moving...and my butt...if I read it often enough! LOL! :D

I might have to take off today and go stay with my Mom for a few days. She's having some fairly major heart problems and I just don't like the idea of her not having family with her while Sis is out of town. If I disappear for a couple days, that will be why.

I invited Rosebud (Roz, our forum Moderator Mistress) and joizinew (Joyce in Tennessee) over here to join us. They are involved in a pedometer challenge on another thread that ties right in with what we're getting ready to do! I am going to go find a pedometer this morning if I can. It needs to be one that measures STEPS taken, not just distance. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it in a bit. If we are all keeping track of STEPS, it doesn't matter if we are riding bikes or doing treadmills...it will all register! Cool idea. The main thing is to get/keep our bodies moving as much as possible and I am ALWAYS looking for a way to do that that makes it FUN!

Will climb on the bike after having another cup of coffee and calling Mom... :)

Hope to see you all later today! Have a good day and KEEP THOSE BODIES MOOOOOVING!!! Yeehaw! LOL!

Later Ladies!
Nance

joizienew
Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:20
Hi there, I finally found my way here.....Congratulations to all of you who are jumping on those bikes and treadmills. I hope I am not too old to join you all, I'll be 64 in September. I am a walker and now counting steps. I also work out at the fitness center at my job two or three times a week. My favorite machine there is the stair climber. I do about 15 to 20 minutes on it. I started all this only about two months ago when I returned to low carbing. I am currently not losing weight but am told that I am losing fat and gaining muscle. I only wanted to lose about 15 or 20 lbs and have lost about 7 or 8. Any way you look at it, I have more energy, and am beginning to see some toning up. Anybody else here counting steps? When I started all this I was so depressed trying to accept all the nasty stuff that was happening to my body as a 'natural part of aging'. :cry: Ugh, then one day I just got up off of my bed where I was watching TV and got MAD! I decided to go down fighting, I'm just not going to take it anymore!!! :yay: I am feeling so much better about myself and that spills over into every aspect of my life. I am new to Tennessee and sometimes it gets lonely. I am living with my son who just turned 20 today. :bday:
Well, keep on truckin'.... :cheer:

joizienew
Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:53
Hi everyone, I posted something earlier that I thought was going to appear on this thread, however, I don't see it here and I don't know where it went! I did walk today and counted 5,000 steps. Less than yesterday but still good. Today is my day to work out at the fitness center where I do 15 to 20 minutes on the stair climber and then work with weights. I have a trainer (all free, provided by my employer) and he assures me that I am losing fat and gaining muscle. I try to trust him. :) I was over 165 when I started and now am stuck at 158. However, weight loss was never my prime motivation. Feeling sluggish and saggy were depressing me. That's just about gone now. I am inspired by everyone here, but I hope I am no too old to join you all. I'll be 64 in September. I have finally mastered my blister problem by using lifts and padding over my heels. :thup: I guess I just have strange feet or I walk weird. Whatever, these shoes were soooo expensive, so I guess they are good ones.

MizSteaks
Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:50
Joyce, glad to see you found your way over here! You are one of my main motivators Dearheart! If I can be as active as you in 6 years I will be ever thankful! Can you fill the others in on the pedometer challenge? It fits right in with what we are planning.

I just bought a pedometer today after reading part of the pedometer challenge thread last night! I am excited about ANYTHING that makes moving fun. I get bored and discouraged too easily I'm afraid if I don't have something to keep my interest up. :( That's why I am so thankful this group of wonderful ladies has formed...now I have FUN doing things that are good for me! :D

I found the pedometer at Big 5 Sports and decided to splurge and get the one that counted the most things! They had simple step counting ones for about $15, but I paid $24 for one that tells time, keeps track of total distance up to 1,000 miles (St, Louis here I come!), shows total steps and calories spent!! Other than the fact it is a little rough on the backside and scratches it is easy to get used to. Also the clip is VERY tight and it took both hands to get it clipped to my shorts! Can you guys tell that I'm getting serious about MOOOOVING?!! LOL!

Got to get off...another thunderstorm over head! Bye for now...KEEP MOOOOVING!
Nance

RoseTattoo
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:26
Glad to meet you, joizienew! Of course you're not too old to be here--it's great that you've arrived!

My exercise today consisted of one Pilates session. Can't count the steps on that, can I? :lol: However, I'm embarrassed to report that I'm now in a non-ambulatory state from it. And I did the "modified" version. :lol: So it may be awhile before I'm at full throttle again. Ain't age wonderful? :rolleyes:

I should begin work with the trainer tomorrow. She MAY take one look at me and send me packing--or is that just wishful thinking? :lol:

joizienew
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:46
Hey everyone,
I'm glad to be on board, although I'm still not quite sure what that means. I walked this a.m. and I guess I was slow today because I only did 5,500 steps. Then I went to the fitness center and did my work out. I got on the stair climber and did 20 minutes. (a great work out, much sweating). Well, the pedometer only registered about 10 steps. There was not enough impact on the stair climber to affect the pedometer, so I guess I'll just add the steps on that the stair climber counted. The thing is that I think each step should count as two because of the resistance. What do you guys think? The stair climber said I did 450 stairs. Oh, this is getting complicated. And what a surprise, I lost 1/2 pound. The heel pads I put in this a.m. slipped down into the shoes and I started some new blisters. :cry: I'm home from work now and it's only 8 p.m. I have 8,500 steps in so far, and that's not counting the stair climber at all. Pretty good I think. :yay:
I picked up an ice cream cake on my way home from work for my son's birthday. That's what he wanted. Now the big question for me is, "to eat or not to eat", "Yea that is the question", "Is it better to suffer the slings and arrows that I will sling at myself for eating some, or to abstain and harbour all that resentment that depravation brings?????". :rolleyes:

mizholly
Tue, Aug-05-03, 18:37
hey Joyce & welcome aboard.

Okay, here's the thing. If the cake is calling to you, have one bite and then say, "wow, that was good - I'm glad I did that" then walk away.

Harder than it sounds maybe, but you need to do it to prove to yourself that you can.

I remember the first time (in 4.5 years) that I was going to have a "bite" - daughter's wedding cake - had to do it for luck and all. I had one bite and walked away. I'd rather have steak, but that's me.

Hope you get that blister thing cleared up soon.

Stay well!

Holly :-)

Chloesue
Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:07
Good Evening Ladies,
Sure was nice to see all of the postings today.

I rode my stationary bike for 20 minutes today.Still don't have my new one.My daughter wasn't feeling too well when she got home from work so she said that she would take me tomorrow after she gets home from work to pick up the stationary bike in her SUV.Now that I have my hopes up about getting it I am hoping that Sears has the one that I want in stock.It's on sale so you never know.

Joyce....I want to welcome you here.You are never too old to join our group.Congratulations on doing so well with walking and exercising.I didn't know that time on a bike would count as steps on a pedometer.I've been wanting to get a pedometer but since I started riding my bike I was afraid that it would be a waste of money.Happy birthday to your son.Did you take a taste of the cake?

Aleka.....We lived in the St.Louis area for 5 years so I do know where Centralia is.

Here is wishing everyone a day withs of movement tomorrow:)

Nancy

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:29
Chloesue--Wow--what a small world it is--If you know where Centralia is then you must know Carlyle lake. We are headed that way one day this week. Our 8 year old grandson----our youngest---wants to go white bass fishing over there. So Grandpa and I are going to pack up a picnic lunch and take him out on our boat fishing for a day. Just hope it cools down a bit. The summer sun can be a tad hot for little ones and us young oldsters too. Ha!!! Hope you all have a good evening. Hello Mizsteaks. Glad to see your name again. Sorry to hear about your Mother--Do hope all is well for her soon. Lost my Mother about five years ago so enjoy all the time you have left with her. Time passes so quickly!!! Good night all--Will Rah Rah you all tomorrow morning!!!! Go Ladies--Go!!! Aleka

MizSteaks
Wed, Aug-06-03, 07:38
Good morning Ladies! :wave:

Joyce, did you have that bite of birthday cake with your son? Hope it tasted really good if you did! :yum: My son's birthday was last Friday. My baby turned the big 3oh! :daze: How did time go by so fast any way?

I think you should get credit for 2 steps for each step on the machine. I think that anyone who puts forth an effort like that should be amply awarded! :agree:

Rose, good luck with the trainer today. Hope you get a good one that makes working out fun. :clap:

Nancy, I'm sorry your daughter was feeling puny and you ended up not getting your bike. :( Hope it she feels better today and that you'll be riding it by tomorrow. I don't have a problem waiting for you so we can start together. :)

Aleka, you make a GREAT cheerleader! :cheer: Makes me smile just seeing you post. Have a great time fishing with that little one.

Already got my 5 miles in for the day! :thup: Took 23.5 minutes and was almost 2,200 steps! Climbed on the bike before I even had my coffee! Now I'm starving and will go eat but had to check in with my friends here first! :wave: Am I addicted or what? :rolleyes:

Have a marvelous day today!
Nance

joizienew
Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:22
Hey everyone, No, I haven't had the ice cream cake yet. My son was out till late last night and we haven't gotten to it yet. Unlike birthdays of the past when he was a little tyke and I was in complete control, he is now 20 and is being out with friends more than being at home. But I have decided to join him and his friends in enjoying a piece (small) of the birthday delight, as I believe there is a perfect middle ground where we can indulge, but not to the extent of making ourselves feel guilty, moderation is the key.
I had an inspirational thought last night while watching TV.... :idea: All the food commercials drive me crazy and they make those carbs look sooo tempting. The people in those commercials are all young and very thin...stuffing their faces with a million carbs Then I thought about the statistics on how Americans are sooo over weight that the clothing people are thinking of changing the sizing standard of clothes, and that obesity is really a serious problem in our culture.
That's the reality that the commercials are distorting. So what I do now is change that picture in my mind and replace those models with the real people I see around me every day. Now I can look at the commercials and say, "yes, all the over weight and very unhealthy carb consumers are calling me to joing them, I think I'll decline"....:nono:

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:39
Good morning Gals--Ok I'm late --Had a grandson here and breakfast to make and laundry to get started --so here goes--Ladies!!!!! Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah--Ride your bikes just where you are------Rah Rah sis Boom Bah!!!! Walk that walk to reach your star!!!--Ahem--I guess the star is upir final goal!!! Ha---Have a Great Day to all--Aleka

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:42
Translation--since I am not great at typing or computer--my misteak of "upir" translates into the word "your"---HA!!!!!!!!Aleka---How do you get the pom pom girl on your posts???? I am not computer literate--just fumble around alot. Help!!!!

MizSteaks
Wed, Aug-06-03, 12:21
LOL! Aleka you make the greatest cheerleader! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The easiest way for you to do the cheerleader is to hit 'post reply' instead of 'Post Quick Reply'. At the left of that posting space is a collection of 'Smileys'. Just click on the one you want and click in your message WHERE you want it. Voila! Happy cheerleader shows up when the message is posted to the thread.
I took a shortcut since mine don't always want to work. I printed the smiley chart out and now I just type in the html code. For example, if I want the cheerleader I print out a colon then the word 'cheer; then another colon and it comes out like this :cheer:

Joyce, I LOVE your mental image of those twits! I do the same thing to 'fool' my mind. If I'm getting ready to grab a pretzel, I imagine that I'm getting ready to eat a pitchfork. A piece of bread might translate in my mind to taking a bite out of an old mattress!! Makes me laugh at the stupidity of the image and the spell is broken...usually! Must be truthful here! :D I say this as I sit here with a used brick (piece of hard candy :eek: ) in my mouth. :nono:

You guys have a Wonderful Wednesday!
Nance

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:58
:cheer to you miztakes--hope it works---:cheer

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:59
It didn't work--Will try again

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:02
It says my Html code is off--Does that have anything to do with it??? I have smilies but no cheerleader!!! Aleka

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:05
my husband says we do not have Html--So guess you will just have to add your own cheerleader pictures!!! Sorry about that!!! Aleka

mizholly
Wed, Aug-06-03, 16:51
Aleka,

When you go to "post reply" - make sure the enhanced button is selected (it's just above the space where you type). Then, when you want to add something, using Nance's technique, be sure to type a colon immediately before and immediately after the word cheer. I usually just use the "clickable" list of smilies to the left of the typing space. There's also a thread somewhere on this site that's called "Testing" or something like that. You can try different stuff and see if it works

Hope this helps :)

We're all looking foward to your next cheer - thanks so much!!

Ever Onward,

Holly

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:22
:cheer:----:cheer:

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:23
Thank you Holly!!! I needed that:cheer: :cheer:---Aleka

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:24
Holly--you are an :angel:---aleka

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:25
Mizteaks you are an :angel: too!!!Aleka

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:26
:cheer: GO Gals Go!! :cheer: :cheer: Aleka

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:41
:cheer:-----

Chloesue
Wed, Aug-06-03, 20:24
Good Evening Everyone,
It's a little late when I finally have the time to get on here.Sorry that I don't have the time to respond the way I would like right now.Need to get to bed shortly.Had to get up this morning at 6 since our grandson comes by 7:30.So I will again be getting up at 6 tomorrow and Friday.

I rode my stationary bike 30 minutes today.Wanted to increase my time up to 30 minutes.I got my new stationary bike at Sears this evening but it needs to be put together.Will wait to do that on Saturday when our 2 year old grandson isn't around.Don't want a lot of little pieces around for him to bother.

I would like for those that will to say a little prayer tomorrow for my dad.My sister let me know today that my dad is having the treatment done tomorrow to freeze his prostate to remove the cancer.I will be at the hospital at 7 in the morning while the treatment is in progress.It's suppose to last about 2 hours.Hope to have a good report on how it went tomorrow evening.He is 77 and in pretty good health although he was also recently diagnosed with COPD.He was a heavy smoker for years but quit cold turkey 10 years ago.

Keep moving everyone!!

Nancy

Chloesue
Wed, Aug-06-03, 20:27
New site I read about today in the newspaper.

I wanted to let y'all know about a site I read about in the newspaper today.Its:
www.presidentschallenge.org

You sign up on the site.After you sign up you will have a place to log in your daily exercise and try to earn awards.They recommend 30 minutes of exercise daily so that is why I upped my time riding the stationary bike.

Let me know if any of joined like I did.It's another way to keep us motivated and moving:)

Nancy

ALEKA
Wed, Aug-06-03, 20:43
Hi lady friend--Will keep you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Will also remind his guardian :angel: to be present as well!! Love and prayers to you both!! Aleka

MizSteaks
Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:04
Chloesue, I'm adding my prayers for your Dad for a successful procedure tomorrow. Keep us posted when you can. We'll muddle through without you while you're gone and we can count on Aleka to cheer us on!

Sorry I didn't come back and make sure you understood my post about the cheerleader smiley. Glad to see that Holly got you set straight. I am almost computer illiterate so it was a stretch thinking I could tell somebody else how to do something on here! LOL! I have to do it my way because my smiley screen freezes so I don't bother with it.

Had company most of the day today so didn't get to move like I wanted to after my 5 mile ride this morning. Hope to double my steps tomorrow from a paltry 3989 today. The goal is to do at least 7000 I heard. I was barely half of that. :(

Need to go do my journal and then tend to the boy scout troop still eating crawdads in the dark in the middle of my driveway. What an interesting life it is here at Heaven on a Halfshell!

Have a glorious evening!
Nance

ALEKA
Thu, Aug-07-03, 07:01
Here we go!!!!!!! :cheer: -- :cheer:------------------------------------Time to rise and greet the sun---Time to ride or walk, or run!!!!!! ---------Go Girls!!!!! Do your thing now!!!!! Go Girls---- :Cheer:-----:Cheer: Aleka

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-07-03, 08:20
Good morning ALeka! If you hadn't been cheering me on, I never would have made it as far as I did! Thanks. :D

Only rode for 14 minutes this morning. Will catch another session this afternoon. My ginpy knee started throbbing and I had to back off a little.

Chloesue, I checked out the Presidnet's Challenge and the site was down. I will go back today and sign up! THank you for finding that and bringing it here for us! Hope your Dad is doing well today. :)

Hope everybody has an active day today! I'm going to try some new pectin today called Pomona Pectin and make some sugar free jelly! My daughter has used it and the jam/jelly turns out great! Thought I'd make some for Mom too so her sweet tooth doesn't throw her diabetes off kilter. The pectin company has a website ... www.pamonapectin.com

Off I go to journal and then get busy. See all of you later today! :wave:

Nance

joizienew
Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:39
Aleka, what a wonderful cheer girl! Thanks. I did go and walk for about 6,000 steps in paradise this a.m. The lawnmowers were buzzing and there were men with weed eaters buzzing also. I couldn't help but think about how 'not-peaceful' the park was with all that activity. But the lesson I got was: In order to have the beauty, peace and serenity there must be times of hard work, sweat and meaningful activity. It's a lesson in balance. I was inspired, hell, I'm stil inspired. :agree: I have walked for four days in a row so far this week and I think the pedometer is providing a lot of motivation. I am greedy for a big dose of those steps. :lol: Today is my day to work out at the fitness center, my abs are sore and those back muscles are also. I can tell where my weaknesses are, and I know I need to 'work' those spots. My fibromyalgia has been mild lately and easily remedied with an ibuprophen or excedrin. That's progress for me. I can get rid of headaches the way normal people do instead of going to the ER for a shot or spending three days in bed throwing up, and suicidal. Gotta count that as a huge blessing :angel: I'm walking in my sandals, and I feel great. No rubbing or pain.

mizholly
Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:55
Hey y'all,

We got our new pedometers and set them last night. Did our 4 laps at the mall this a.m. - found out it's actually 2.25 miles. I left my pedometer on when we got home and found that I had put on another 2 miles just working around the house!! Amazing.

I'm going to set one pedometer to use just around the house - I'm just curious.

By the way, the steps for the mall walk this morning were 5441 - not too bad :yay:.

Aleka, looking forward to your Friday cheer!!

Chloesue, I signed up for the Presidential thingie - I'm going to start the log probably at the beginning of our exercise week (Monday).

Hope everyone is well - keep moving!

Ever Onward,

Holly

ALEKA
Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:18
Cloesue--Hope all went well for your Dad. I spent my day at the dentist office and then to Red Lobster for lunch.. It is amazing how all of you float in and out of my thoughts. Said a quick prayer for your Dad and reminded his angel to be there for support!!!! How is your Mom doing Miztakes??? Hope better. The jelly sounds ssoooo good!! Wish I was there for a taste. Hi Holly--Working on the cheer already---not sure how long I can keep this up--but at least it does give my brain a work out--Ha---Joizienew--6000 steps!!!! :cheer:--way to go. If we look we find lessons all around us don't we??? Glad that your fibromyalgia is better. I have chronic lyme and understand what you are talking about. We'll just commizerate together and do our thing anyway---Right??? Hope you all have a wonderful evening. I'm going to my little grandsons closing at his Bible school tonight. Sure do love to hear the little :angel:'s sing!! Night all---See you tomorrow. Aleka

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-07-03, 20:39
Joyce, your outlook on life is so refreshing! It would do all of us good to take a REAL look at the world around us instead of the myopic view we often limit ourselves to. I am going to learn SO MUCH from you! So thankful I found you!

Aleka, That was a great cheer! You always bring a smile to my face! :D

I had fibromyalgia symptoms for several years so I am familiar with that type of pain. One of the postivie side benefits of the by-pass surgery was...the firbro disappeared! It ended up being just oxygen starved muscles! Thank you Lord!

Got back on the bike and did another 10 minutes for a total of 5.4 miles today. Also mowed the lawns the old fashioned way! Walked behind that mower instead of riding one! :lol:

My Mom is being referred to a cardiologist for her heart problesm but has to wait 6 weeks for an appointment. She is going to come up for a visit so I will not have as much time on here. Promise I will keep up with the challenge though! Just may not be able to check in every day. :( Mom doesn't like this computer and is a tad bit jealous of any time I take on it. I sure don't want to upset her now so I will stay off it pretty much while she is here...HOW WILL I SURVIVE???! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sweet dreams everyone!
Nance

Chloesue
Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:03
Wanted to stop by for a quick hello.Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and prayers for my dad.He came through the procedure just fine.When he was in the recovery room he was nauseous so his doctor kept him in the hospital over night.

It was a long day at the hospital.I was there with my sister and her daughter while my dad had the procedure done.My niece does not like elevators so we did a lot of walking up and down the stairs instead of taking the elevator.I didn't get any bike riding done today but feel like the stairs and walking I did today was a good substitute.

Hope to be a more active poster tomorrow.

Nancy

joizienew
Fri, Aug-08-03, 06:37
Hey everyone, it's a great morning...
Steaks, that was interesting what you said about fibro being oxygen starved muscles...I like that idea and I think it applies to my pain. Otherwise why would the symptoms lessen when I walk or otherwise work out?
Chlo, great news about your dad!

I just got up and haven't started my day yet. I'll be headed for the park again with my handy dandy little step counter ticking away. Oh yea, I tried the ground flax meal for a hot breakfast this a.m. I really love the taste. The only thing was I cooked it and probably destroyed the 'fat' stuff. Anyway, I am reminded that I need to slow down and read the directions first..Next time I won't cook...

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:44
Good morning---Meant to ask---Do we have any guys ??? Ok--Everybody-- ready????---:cheer:---Here we go now-----Walk & Ride& work those buns---Later on you have your fun!!!!! Do your Stuff now---Go Girls----- :Cheer: Do your stuff now_____ :smile: Have a lot to do this morning---My little grandson is here and it is my weigh in day---etc!!!! Hope all your days are Super!!! Aleka

Leidon
Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:22
Hey Everyone!

Sorry I haven't stopped in lately, but I have been soooo busy. First, I do hope that the Unemployment appeal I had Tuesday will turn out in my favor. I'm not sure what will happen....seems my boss had a completely different version of what happened than I did. He made up all kinds of stuff. It all boiled down to was that he got upset because I tried to correct him when he accused of having "relatives" in my office one day. It's a long story, but needless to say I got upset because he would not listen to the real facts (he only had hearsay) and he said I was "out-of-control" and he told me to calm down and I didnt! So he fired me!!! INSUBORDINATION It's amazing that even if you have evidence, witnesses and the whole shabang the "Commission" tends to believe the employer! I havent heard the outcome yet, but I bet they go with the employer.

Sorry to vent! Had to get it off my chest. Since I have been unemployed (3 months) I have been working from home. I am a computer graphic artist/typesetter....and also I am doing VHS tape and photo transfers to CD's/DVD's. I have quite a few customers right now, mostly family and members of our Motorcycle Chapter. So I do keep busy.

I am also now the scrapbook/Historian of our chapter, and found out yesterday I will also be handling the Newsletter for print and web. I like to keep busy, but I also like to have the steady income coming in! Enough of that stuff....

I did (wednesday) get on the treadmill for about 15 minutes...had to try and calm my self down B4 the Appeal Meeting. Yesteday, I did not get to "walk" but I did do good.....it was my nephews birthday, and I passed on the cake!!! YEAH to me!!!
I feel as though I do have control over something these days....my diet! It feels good, too!

Well enough of this rambling,
Everyone have a good "exercise"/low carb day.... check with ya later

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:46
AHHHHHHHHH! :wave: It's always so nice to sign in and see all of you! Makes mornings a lot more fun to look forward to, doesn't it? LOL!

Leah, vent away dear! It's best to get that anger OUTside the body where it can't hurt you then to keep it inside where it festers. That's what we're here for...to listen and support each other. And good for you to walk that anxiety off instead of reaching for some hc foods! :clap:

Joyce, you continue to be my inspiration! For someone who waited all these years for some 'me' time you are doing a wonderful job of taking advantage of the world around you. :thup:

Chloesue, I am so glad to hear that your Dad did well yesterday. Aren't prayers wonderufl thngs. Those stair walks sound like killer excercises to me. No need to worry about not riding the bike after doing all of that! :agree:

Aleka...another splendid cheer this morning! You're the best! :lol:

I woke up at 4...got up at 5 and had my 5 miles done on the bike by 5:30! Then an enormous breakfast and here to my 'family'! Have tons to do today. DD and the g-kids are coming for lunch again so need to start some soup for them. They love homemade soup and they are always so chilled from swimming lessons it hits the spot for them. Then clean the back bedroom and get it ready for Mom to come visit. Then if there is time...work some more on cleaning out the chest freezer.

Hope everybody has a terrific day! Hope Rose checks in...I hope she didn't get lost on her last walk!! :p

Stay HEALTHY!!
Nance

BKM
Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:36
This looks like my type of exercise group!

My exercise regime consists of walking, biking, golfing, roller-blading (you should see the neighbors when hubby and I put on our roller blades and protective gear and go out for a spin!!!!) -- somehow I never manage to do gym-type stuff.

So far today, I've walked a mile at lunch (lots of hills), climbed 4 flights of stairs (parking garage) -- will try to get in a 3-mile walk this evening with hubby and dogs (3 mini-dachshunds). It's getting so very hot (yesterday it officially hit 108F) that outside activity is getting uncomfortable.

And tomorrow I'm going up in a sail plane -- does soaring like a bird count as exercise????

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:45
:cheer:----Way to go Bonnie!!!! Sounds like you have all kinds of things that keep you occupied and exercising. Welcome to the group!!!! Aleka

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:33
Leidon--Was sorry to read about your experience in your hearing. Ex-Bosses have a way of getting under your skin at times. They especially like to do it at the most inopportune time. ie--at the hearing. Wouldn't you just like to smack some of those pious ones?? I know that doesn't sound nice but most of my life I spent trying to practice the golden rule and sometimes you just have to vent--not act on it!!! Anyway--you did great coming home- exercising and not soothing yourself with HC. :cheers: Way to Go--- Will say a prayer for you about this case. You never know---Judges aren't always taken in by smooth talkers. Let us know how things go and here's hoping a better, higher paying job comes your way!! Hugs to you!!! Aleka

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-08-03, 17:17
I have been kind of quiet with being gone all day yesterday and then being busy with my 2 year old grandson today.

On the spur of the moment my hubby decided that we are going to get away this weekend.We will be leaving in the morning for Maggie Valley NC.We will return sometime Monday.Our son in law is off of work on Monday so it worked out good for this weekend.Our daughter Karen doesn't work this weekend so she will be available to walk our dog.

I need to ride my stationary bike.Doesn't look like this will be the wekend to put my new bike together.Hope to get it done soon though.

Hope all of you have a nice relaxing weekend.Will check back Monday evening.
Nancy

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-08-03, 17:20
Bonnie,
Welcome aboard!!It's nice to have new ladies join us in our quest to lose weight and get fit.I need to get busy and ride my stationary bike.Was a busy day with my grandson but didn't get any bike riding done.
Nancy

mizholly
Fri, Aug-08-03, 18:30
Hiya Kids!!

Another day, another dollar ... or in our case, another mile, step and so forth. Did our mall walk - another 2.25 miles under the belt. Still trying to adjust the pedometer - almost have it knocked. Should be in time for the big 100 mile challenge.

Chloe - have a great weekend and forget it all for a couple of days, we all deserve that once in a while, eh?

Bonnie - welcome! Check in when you can and we'll give you a shove if you need it ... tee hee ...

Aleka, thanks again for your great inspiration. YOU go girl !! :cheer:

Off to a quick LC snack ... salami w/cream cheese, green pepper strips a maybe a little hunk of cheese ... Dinner's a nummy LC chili (she said modestly :-))

Hope you all have a good weekend [tomorrow's our day on the torture ball and Nordic Trak ... wish me luck}

Ever Onward,

Holly

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 19:12
Holly---Would you share that LC chili recipe with me??? Sure do Love Chili!!! Thanks--Aleka

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:04
Bonnie it's good to see you here sweating away with us! We don't care what type of excercise we do as long as we moooove the bodies! :D Hmmm....roller blades huh? Not in a million years would I try that even though it looks like such fun! I don't like pain and I know I'd spend some time on the ground! LOL!

nancy, you certainly need this weekend away. You've had a stressful week with your Dad and your grandson there. Go, relax and enjoy and don't stress out over the bike. We all need to take the deserved breaks without guilt.

I didn't make it back on the bike today.

Did get some deep cleaning done in the spare bedroom getting it ready for Mom to come. She did sound better tonight, but she is still weak and shaky and has no appetite. My time will be limited once she arrives so you guys will have to cheer each other on for me! You've got Aleka to keep you up and going! Isn't she a great cheerleader? Just don't stress your back out Honey!

Have a great evening and weekend everybody! :wave:
Nance

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:06
Bonnie it's good to see you here sweating away with us! We don't care what type of excercise we do as long as we moooove the bodies! :D Hmmm....roller blades huh? Not in a million years would I try that even though it looks like such fun! I don't like pain and I know I'd spend some time on the ground! LOL! :roll:

Nancy, you certainly need this weekend away. You've had a stressful week with your Dad and your grandson there. Go, relax and enjoy and don't stress out over the bike. We all need to take the deserved breaks without guilt. :agree:

I didn't make it back on the bike today. Did get some deep cleaning done in the spare bedroom getting it ready for Mom to come. She did sound better tonight, but she is still weak and shaky and has no appetite. My time will be limited once she arrives so you guys will have to cheer each other on for me! You've got Aleka to keep you up and going! Isn't she a great cheerleader? Just don't stress your back out Honey! :yay:

Have a great evening and weekend everybody! :wave:
Nance

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:46
Thanks for your thoughtful and kind remarks sugar--or should I say splenda??? Ha--Sounds like you are ready for Mom! Hope she gets a good rest at your place and naturally--you need first off to take care of # one or there won't be much left to take care of anyone else. Just a reminder!! We MOM"S have a tendency to take care of everyone else before ourselves which is great as long as we don't forget to include ourselves. (Took me a long time to figure that one out.) My Grandmother used to say- (You never really learn how to live well un til it is almost time to die.) What a sad saying Huh?? Anyway- Hope you have a good time with your Mom while she is there and when you get a chance--steal a few moments and ride like the wind!!! Ha!! Night Night--Aleka

4mrslucky
Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:50
Good Evening Everyone,
I will jump aboard the exercise train. I do a walking tape,2 miles, 3 days a week. I also do at home Curves exercise 3 times a week. I follow the Curves carb-sensitive diet. I am 60, we have 1 daughter, who has blessed us with 9 grandkids, 8 at home, one in college, out of state. We just moved 30 min. from the kids so we spend more time with the active family. "Kids are for the young," that is what my mother used to tell me. Isn't it amazing how much they really knew! :lol: I will start reporting on Sunday. My husband keeps our treadmill well dusted, along with a weight table and Gazzele. To much for my old bones. :yay: Have a great evening everyone. Susan from NW WA 180/171/145

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:04
Great to see you here 4MrsLucky!!! I'm hoping to get back on my Gazelle next week. I know what you mean when you say '''OLD BONES"" Mine creak at times--How about you?? Hope to see you tomorrow!! Aleka

mizholly
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:36
Hey Susan,

Welcome aboard - great to see one more "skinny-in-progress" :lol:

Stay in touch - we'll be here cheering for you!

mizholly
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:44
Aleka,

I'd be delighted, proud and happy to share the recipe ... as soon as I have it "written". Right now, it's just a "throw in a bit of this and that recipe" and that just won't don't for most low carbers.

For starters, get some canned black soy beans (if you like beans in your chili)

Nothing else particularly exotic, I also use cooked and drained ground beef, canned green chiles ... a bit of tabasco .. I found this great tomato paste that comes in a tube like toothpaste.

Okay, now I'll try to get the recipe into a "form" - that's the hard part. Making 'em up and cooking is easy - it's such a passion ...

Don't give up on me

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:50
Holly---I"ll keep watching for that recipe. I could eat chili year around. Do the black soybeans give it a funny taste?? Thanks for the comeback. Think you should be called Miz-christmas little Holly Berry!!! Aleka

ALEKA
Sat, Aug-09-03, 08:23
Good-morning!!!! It's Saturday----Are you Ready???????------Let's Go: Ready--Set--Here we go!-----Walk or Ride or start to roll!!!!! (Blades)--Do your thing throughout the day---Throw another pound away!!!!! ----Do your Stuff now---do you hear me????--Do your stuff now!! :cheer:---Have a Great Day---Aleka

joizienew
Sat, Aug-09-03, 09:31
Thanks again Aleka, how do you keep coming up with them!!!

Well, this morning presented another epiphany :idea: for me. I woke up early and decided, after a nice breakfast of Milled Flaxseed, I deserved a reward, a treat. :agree: I walked in the park every morning this week and I deserve a reward. So, I put on the TV and propped myself up all ready to 'take the day off' and enjoy my well earned reward. I flipped through the channels, waiting for that peaceful 'reward feeling' and guess what! It never arrived. :( Instead I grew more and more anxious and uncomfortable. Then I came across a kids show and an animated horse was singing, "Breathe in the fresh air, enjoy the sunshine, go out and breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the beautiful sunshine." Well, that horse was looking right at me! I jumped up, put on my shorts, and off I went to the park.
While walking I began to meditate on the subject of 'rewards'. My Saturday morning reward was no doubt self destructive. Not that there is anything wrong with kicking back and watching TV, but when you experience anxiety instead of peace, then it is wrong. I recalled how many times I have heard a patient, (drug/alcohol counseling) say to me, "But I work hard all week, I deserve to get drunk on Friday night.", or, "I worked hard all day in the hot sun, I deserve that six pack of cold beer" Self-destructive reward systems. I know that somewhere inside is the fear of success, and the need to self-destruct. Especially after doing something positive and healthy for myself.
So, I am now creating a list of healthy, positive rewards, and am examining closely how I 'reward' myself. Anybody out there got any ideas? I think a list of 'positive rewards' might be fun to create, :yay: along with another list of 'negative rewards' that I have gotten rid of. :nono: Another old 'reward' I've gotten rid of is that big old candy bar at the checkout line. :bash:

MizSteaks
Sat, Aug-09-03, 13:09
Joyce, your observations are so timely for me! Was just chatting with a couple of my friends about making lists of the 'old' comfort strokes and then making another list of new replacements. I have been doing that for the foods that represent 'comfort foods' for me and experimenting with recipes for that purpose. I find it is so much easier to fight a sudden craving when I already KNOW what that substitute can be. :p

One of my favorite comfort foods has always been mashed potatoes. I found a recipe for mashed cauliflower that is so good that I smile when the potatoe craving hits because I know I'm in for a treat. :yum:

I love your idea for starting a 'substitution' list! Why don't you start a thread about that and we'll see how many things we come up with. Actually I guess we first should do a search and make sure there isn't something already like that on the site. Wouldn't want to start a thread and have it moved out of here :nono:

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are so in tune with your body and emotions and mind! We are going to learn so much from you if we pay attention!

Okay...finally got on the old bike this morning and got my 5 miles in. T'was a tough ride this morning as I had already put in several hours cleaning and gardening. But...I'm breathing deeper and feeling better so it is always worth it! :agree:

Have a wonderful Saturday! :wave:
Nance

chrisews
Sat, Aug-09-03, 15:06
Hi, As I said on the other site, I am a 60 year old grandma of 4 1/2, 3 boys one girl and one unknown. I've got to really get with the program if I expect to see these kids grown up. so here I am. I walked about 1 mile today, I've been doing stationary bike 3 miles 3 times a week, and I just found some Leslie Sansone's tapes at thelocal thrift shop today, so I'm planning to start uning them. Where I live is very hilly, and it' s tough to walk , at least when you're out of shape. I've been locarbing for almost 2 years, and lost 40 lbs in the first 6 months, 5 lbs in the next 16 months. what's the problem. I believe at this point, it's lack of exercise, As we all seem to have, I also have problems with my back, and I admit that's been stopping me, but as I said, I've got to get with the program. Here I come. chris :wiggle: :wiggle:

joizienew
Sat, Aug-09-03, 16:19
Hey Chris, welcome. I know deep down inside we all have that little voice that keeps repeating, "exercise, exercise, exercise!!!" I know I used to say, "Yeah, yeah, but I'll do it later, I'm not ready". I had a million excuses. Then once I started with the walking, it took on a life of it's own. Next thing I knew I was going to the fitness center at work two times a week in addition to my morning walks. Now I have a hard time going without...Welcome Grandma. (I can say that cause I'm a Grandma also, but my grandchildren are in college)

Steaks, you are so supportive, you are a blessing girl...

mizholly
Sat, Aug-09-03, 16:34
Hey kidlets ...

Hope you're all having an energetic weekend. DH and I did our NordicTrak and torture ball this morning ... talk about sweat!! Some days are harder than others, but at least we did it.

Tomorrow's our day off from sweating, and truly THAT is one of our big positive rewards. Six days of being so noble and darn self-righteous, that "lazy day" sure is fine.

Another positive award is what we call our Saturday dawdle time. I love to sleep, I can do it for 10 - 11 hours a night. However, for the last couple of months I've been having my early-bird DH be sure to wake me up by 7. Then, come hell or high water (pardon my expression) we start our exercise, whatever it may be for the day, at 8. [It's just another small way to stay on track. ] We still get up at 7, but on Saturdays we're a little more flexible about when we start exercising (within reason). So, our Saturday dawdle is really a positive reward.

Nance, I'm with you. Good cooking is its own reward. I'm just really careful not to allow the food itself to become the reward, if that makes sense. I think that's probably what got most of us here in the first place. It is nice to know, though, that we have our little secret recipes to fall back on when all around us are jamming carbage down their gullets.

Welcome aboard Chris - we're all cheering for you!! :clap:

Talk to y'all soon!

Holly

MizSteaks
Sat, Aug-09-03, 21:01
Holly, I know exactly what you mean about the 'process' of cooking being as/more important than the end result! I love to be in my 'lab' trying new things. I'm always taking a recipe and changing it...and not always for the better! :lol:
Woke up this morning after having dreamed about making a low carb candy from cauliflower! I had passed by my potato candy recipe the other day and I guess that got the brain to mulling it over!
Holly you really are close to goal! Congratulations! That must be so rewarding to see the weight loss and know that all of that 'sweating' has paid off. It is examples like you and Rose and Joyce that keep the rest of us hustling our butts too!

My legs are really tired tonight along with the old back. I might have to take some time off tomorrow and go down to the river and meditate. That's the most peaceful place I know that's close enough to walk to easily. I'll think of all of you while I'm there...that I KNOW!

Nite all! :wave:
Nance

mizholly
Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:17
Okay Steaks,

You've piqued my curiousity - "Potato Candy"???? Tell, me more - maybe we can cook up a LC version ... ideas a-cookin'. By the way, cauliflower candy might just be pushing the envelope .... tee hee. :-)

Holly

joizienew
Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:13
My old recipe for potato candy: Take a 'blob' of left over mashed potatoes, mix in powdered sugar with your hands, (this is the fun part because the powdered sugar brings out liquid in the potato.) Keep mixing until you have a big blob of dough that is smooth and dry enough to roll out. Roll it out flat and spread with peanut butter. Roll up the whole thing into a 'tube' and chill. Cut slices after it's cold. These are so pretty, look like brown and white pinwheels. Kids love this stuff and I recommended it as something to make with them when there are mashed potatos left over. (not that we would ever eat such things.) This is not a dish for low carbers for sure, but most of us have families that don't low carb and especially like to have fun with the grand children...

MizSteaks
Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:54
Well, so much for 'mediatating at the river'!! :lol: We've been busting our fannies remodeling a huge tree on the patio. I am dragging right now and the river is the furtherest thing from my mind. Relaxing here with friends is the perfect break! :lol: One more pickup load to the burning pile and we'll have the mess cleaned up. Jimmy has friends here right now so I snuck off to long on here. Am I addicted or what?

Joyce that's exactly the potato candy recipe I use! We sometimes used melted choclate and chopped nuts instead of peanut butter though. I just was dreaming about the mashed cauliflower being so much like mashed potatoes and the old unconscious took it from there!

Not going near the bike this morning...got my excercise in BIG time working outside. I even got the other hedge on that side of the house all pruned and the laurel bushes too. Raked all of that mess up and then we messed the whole thing up again by working on the tree! Dingbats!

Good luck house hunting Joyce...you deserve it!

Everybody...have a grand day!
Nance :wave:

joizienew
Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:07
Hey everyone, I just ran across an old software program I had for years and just quit using it. It's called 'cooking light' by Sierra. I installed it and have been entering some of the recipes I have been collecting from this forum. The program does all kinds of things with ingredients and lets me try substitutes to see if I can lower the carbs. It also has the option to search for low carb recipes like recipes with 0 to 10 carbs, then 10 to 20, and so on. It's cool. What a treasure and it was right here under my nose all along. I made the fudge today and I need some one to slap my hands for reaching into the fridge for more, more more. Well, it should be gone by monday and if it's not I'll take the rest to work to treat the guys. Then I'll refrain from those sweet treats until next week-end. Aren't week-ends fun?

MizSteaks
Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:17
Joyce that is exactly the type of program I would LOVE to have! One of the things I love doing in the kitchen (my lab! :lol: ) is trying to reduce the carb content on different recipes. Also, one of my biggest complaints about the low carb cookbooks is they don't put the carb count for each item right beside the item. That way if I have to make a substitution, I have to completely refigure every single ingredient! They should make it easier for us! JMHO. :lol: Oh! Can I be jealous of you, you lucky lady?!!

Nance

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:23
Helllooooooo? Where is everybody?! I thought today was the day we were starting our challenge? Guess maybe all of you are having the same type Monday I've been having....like trying to pick ball bearings up on an incline with baseball gloves on both hands! Sheesh! Well, the nice thing about being our age is we can put things off if we want to and blame it on age! :lol:

Chloesue, hope your weekend away was restful. You sure needed it.

Joyce, I hope you're out looking at houses to buy instead of at work or thinking negative thoughts! I'm so excited for you!

Aleka, how's the back? Sure missed your morning cheer here. I hope if you excercised it was very gently. :nono: You have to be nice to youself Sweety so you can heal.

To all of the roller bladers, bikers, 'treaders' and walkers....hope today is a good moooooving day! :lol:

Later gang :wave:
Nance

BKM
Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:35
I guess I missed it somewhere, what is the current challenge?

Today: I've walked a mile (lunch) -- lots of hills. Too hot to do any more right now (current temp is 97F).

Trying to drink more water (which means less diet Coke :nono: ).

And if it cools off tonight we'll walk a couple of miles ... hubby needs his lottery fix and the 7-11 is a nice 3.5 mile stroll. Though he gets more exercise than I, he ends up carrying one of the dogs (who has a deformed foot and really shouldn't be taken on long walks).

jesdorka
Mon, Aug-11-03, 15:02
i just noticed this exercise challenge happening here & i too need to get back to regular excersize. it has been several months since i've done any regular exercise. i was on vacation most of july and did alot of walking but this was offset by poor food choices (too much ice-cream justified b/c it was so hot!) i went back on atkins induction last wednesday and have been trying to tell myself "get back on your exercise program". so by joining this challenge i will have to and be accountable (to the group and myself) my routine consists of mon-fri 45-60 mins of leslie sansone's tapes or dvd's, 10-15 mins of stationary bike and then after breakfast a 30-60 min walk. sat a 30-60 min walk. sun is a rest day! my goal is to make this a habit, no excuses. i know i feel so much better when i eat lc and exercise.
i start tomorrow morning :yay:

mizholly
Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:57
Hi Y'all,

I be here ... checkin' in. It's been a tired, lazy Monday. We did our walk this morning, but we've both been pooped all day - where's all this energizing that's supposed to come from exercise, eh? It's hotter than heck here and with all the Presidential excitement [Mr. Bush paid a visit to our fair city this morning] I guess it all takes a toll. :daze:

Looking forward to starting the challenge, as soon as we do the "vote" to see what it should be: total miles, total time, mutual meeting point and so forth.

Till then, I think it would be great if everyone just checked in with a brief rundown of their exercise for the day. Of course, any good gossip to share is always a good thing .... tee hee :lol:

Okay, back to work ... stay well

Holly

joizienew
Mon, Aug-11-03, 20:05
Hey everyone, I'm ready and waiting to join the challenge..What is it again? Duhhh,

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-11-03, 20:34
Good Evening Ladies,
I've been missing in action a few days.Thought that I had posted that I was going to be away for the weekend but looking back at the posts it looks as if I forgot.Sorry about that.Don't want y'all to think that I have forgotten about you.Hubby and I decided to take a spur of the moment trip out of town together.What a wonderful relaxing time we had.Did plenty of walking.Would have done more if the weather had cooperated.There was plenty of rain just like at home.Now that I am back home and refreshed I am ready to start our challenge.

Since I was sitting in the car for 4 hours during the ride home I decided that I better get on my bike this evening.I rode it for 20 minutes.Still don't know how far I went.We were going to put my new stationary bike together over the weekend but went away instead.

I think that we should start out small and everyone aim to make it 100 miles either by whatever exercise method we each choose.We could post every day how far we went that day and the total distance are gone since starting.Since we are in the organizing stage maybe we should start this challenge next Monday.Remember this is a challenge against ourselves.Whoever finishes the 100 miles is a winner.We will cheer everyone on until we are all finish our 100 mile destination.

We could start a list and everyone add to it that wants to be included.

Nancy

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-11-03, 20:37
100 Mile Challenge

Participants:

Nancy:West Virginia

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-11-03, 20:39
To be added to the challenge Copy and Paste the above messege and add your name and location to be added to the challenge.

If it is OK with everyone we will sit the official start date on Monday August 18th

Nancy

jesdorka
Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:08
100 Mile Challenge

Participants:

jesdorka: yukon, canada

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-11-03, 22:47
100 Mile Challenge

Participants:

MizSteaks: Oregon

joizienew
Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:18
100 Mile Challenge

Participants:

joizie: Tennessee

BKM
Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:29
tried to add my name to the above list, can't edit the page (no permissions) -- so please add my name (Bonnie)

Thanks!

guess I could have read the directions before I jumped in ... :nono:

joizienew
Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:06
100 Mile Challenge

Participants:

Bonnie: Austin, TX

joizienew
Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:08
Bonnie, I added your name. You could do it in the future by: highlight, right click, choose 'copy'...then go to the post quick reply window, right click and choose paste. You can then add whatever you want and post it.

Chloesue
Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:39
Just a quick hello before it's time to pick up my grandson for the afternoon.This is going to be a busy afternoon.Our grandson is 2 and a preemie.He is a little behind with his speech development due to being a preemie.On the 21st he will start a special pre-school for children with developmental needs.He will attend on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
This evening I will be attending a meeting with my daughter for the parents of the pre-schoolers.Since my son in law works evenings my daughter wanted me to attend the meeting with her.The meeting will be held about 40 miles from us so I will be gone most of the evening.

Just wanted to let y'all know that I will be gone but wanted to check in and let you know that I am so pleased to see the response to our 100 mile challenge.It should be a lot of fun.Can't wait to get my new stationary bike put together.

Nancy

jesdorka
Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:53
although i know the official challenge doesn't start til monday i did start my exercise regime this morning as planned. i did the leslie advanced walk aerobics tape( love the workout, can't stand her yakety yak so i mute her and put on my own music) rode my stationery bike and took my walk. i'm a little stiff right now but it will prepare me for monday!

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:56
Hi Cloesue, Jezdorka, Mizsteaks,Joizienew, and BKm--I"m Back- Just wanted to say hello to you all--Am trying to catch up on all my back e-mail. Great to see all those who have signed up for the challenge. Thanks Mizsteaks for the wonderful Cheer for me--Really kind, and sweet of you. Will talk more later on. Hugs to you all--Aleka

MizSteaks
Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:39
jesdorka, you're doing great! I can barely make it through the one mile walking tape...OR....a five mile bike ride. ALl of them in one day is outstanding....except I wouldn't be left standing, I'd be down on the floor! :lol: :lol: Keep up the terrific work.

Chloesue, we are not in any big hurry as far as I know. I suspect we are all continuing to practice and get in shape for the big 'challege' so we aren't wasting any time. I sure don't want you to feel guilty about Life getting in the way! Grandsons come first, okay?! Bet he's a real cutey too.

I understand I have another one in the works! Our DS has been teasing me all week by sending sonograms and stuff, but finally admitted that DIL is deathly ill this time after sailing through without a problem with both girls. Hmmmm? Maye there will be a boy to carry on the family name after all! :D

Have a great day!

mizholly
Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:12
100 Mile Challenge

Participants:

Holly (mizholly): Tucson, Arizona

jesdorka
Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:41
mizsteaks-
thanks for your encouragement, it is a routine i have followed since i started low carbing way back when, but when you've been away from it for several months it is like starting all over. it will get easier as the days go by :wiggle:

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:51
WOW--If anyone wants to see a fantastic web site--Visit Jesdorka' home on the Web!!! It is fantastic!!!:yay: Aleka:dazzle:

joizienew
Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:06
Steaks, Ahh those days gone by when I was pregnant... I had three of each sex.... never got sick with the girls, puked my guts out with the boys..So there ya go!

jesdorka
Wed, Aug-13-03, 08:17
aleka-yes the yukon is great place to live (alaska is our neighbour) lot's of wide open spaces, plenty of year round outside activities for those so inclined.great spot for tourists also. winter can be tough but you get used to it. i've been here 31 yrs now. the capital city of whitehorse has grown alot in the last few years-we even have walmart now.after i retired i had considered moving back to vancouver b.c. where i had spent my 1st 33 yrs but found it way too busy for me.
thanks for mentioning it!

BKM
Wed, Aug-13-03, 08:51
Guess I need to pop in -- I had 6 kids, little to no morning sickness with 3 of the girls and both boys -- but #4 kid (a daughter) kept me sick as the dickens -- and she was a perfectly healthy, beautiful baby.....

jesdorka
Wed, Aug-13-03, 09:59
i had 3,2boys and a girl. i was never sick with any of them :thup:
i felt so good with the 1st one i could have worked through the whole pregnancy but i worked for B.C. Telephone Co. and in those days they didn't let you work once it was noticable you were pregnant :rolleyes:

completed my exercise routine for today--yahoo!

BKM
Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:04
Do I ever remember those days -- my first one was born in 1970 -- I was a chemist and was careful to wear a lab coat at all times -- no one at work knew I was pregnant until July 1 (she was born July 28) when I told my dept head...

Oh to be so skinny (with no effort) again.....................

MizSteaks
Wed, Aug-13-03, 11:16
Seems like I'm getting later and later checking in here! I won't let me come to the computer until my 5 miles is done on the bike...or whatever excercise it is for the day! :lol: Otherwise I wouldn't get anything done but sit here. This is so addictive, isn't it? LOL!

I had good old MS with all 4 pregnancies but loved being pregnant. Had both girls 2 weeks before due date. Son was the only 'planned' child so the doctor was doing pegnancy tests almost weekly. The test was positive before my ovulation period of the second month so he was positive he had the dates right. Anyway...Tony was born 6 WEEKS after his due date. Out weighed both girls by over 3 pounds and looked half grown when he finally arrived. His soft spot was about the size of a dime...everything pointed to a ten month baby even though lots of people doubt that this is even a possibility. I don't even argue with the nay sayers...waste of time. God and I know the truth..that's what counts! :)

Have a wonderful low carb day today!

mizholly
Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:02
Greetings All,

Guess I'm going to be the one bringing up the rear in this challenge - 100 miles may just take forever!! But as they say, one step at a time, eh?

Ever Onward,

Holly

Chloesue
Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:19
I rode my stationary bike 30 minutes today.Sure will be glad once my new bike is put together so I will know how far I am actually riding it every day.

I have two daughters.They were both born by c-section.I remember oh so well the way my ob doctors did not want me gaining weight during my pregnancies in 1976 and 1977.I weighed around 205 both times which they said was too much.I believe I gained only 5 pounds with each pregnancy.
Did any of you have doctors that didn't want you to gain during pregnancies?

My daughter that was born in 1976 weighed 5 pounds 12 1/2 ounces and my second daughter born a year later weighed in at 7 pounds 1/2 ounce.The funny thing is that I was so sick with gallbladder flare ups with my second daughter that I couldn't eat much at all.She ended up weighing more than her sister.I had my gallbladder removed when our second daughter was 5 months old.

Keep those bodies moving everyone!!!

Nancy

Leidon
Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:56
Hi Everyone!!!! :Party:

So sorry I haven't checked in lately.....Beeeeeennnnn sooooo busy! Motorcycle Chapter decided to make me the web/newletter designer...along with the scrapbook keeper!!!! I have been updating my computer (mac) and I have found stuff on here I didnt know I had (programs, etc). It seems I start doing something and then I find something else. I am on the computer ALL DAY (and my butt feels it...wish I could fix a bracket on the treadmill..I could do two things at once.)

I have not heard back from the unemployment hearing folks yet, but I don't think the meeting/hearing went too well....my ex boss made up alot of stuff, and I didnt have the right evidence (so the hearing officer said ) to back me up (but "the boss" didnt either, though)..So it will be a toss up I guess.

I tried to scan quickly through the posts and catch up...LOL

I see that the challenge is gonna start on Monday, Aug. 18....
:bday: MY 52nd BIRTHDAY!!!! (omg....im really that old) :cry:

I have still managed to eat the right foods (getting kinda boring though)! Which I am surprised at myself...I havent "stumbled" one bit.

I Added my name below...count me in!!!!

100 Mile Challenge, Monday, Aug. 18
Participants:

Leidon (Leah): NorthEast, Texas

Will check back in soon, I promise!!!
(Hi to all those of you that are new...glad to have you aboard!

Chloesue
Thu, Aug-14-03, 04:13
Leah,
Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Hope you had a wonderful day yesterday:)
Nancy

RoseTattoo
Thu, Aug-14-03, 05:31
Hi, everyone! And happy birthday, Leah! I'm sorry I haven't been here in awhile. It's just been too hot and humid to exercise much, plus the kids are home during the day and I need to keep them amused. So I've been slacking off the walking, down to about 2 miles a day. I hope to get back to it religiously once they're back in school.

Question for you ladies: I'm having a horrible time with hot flashes!!! Yesterday one set me off just short of passing out at the supermarket. You know the nuclear-powered kind?? :lol: And as for sleeping the night through--forget it! What did/do you all do? I refuse to take any hormones. Does this WOE make them worse? Better? Does physical activity help or hurt?

I would like to join the challenge, if someone would be so kind as to tell me how to add my name. I'd be starting out from eastern Pennsylvania.

Thanks to all!

jesdorka
Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:13
completed my exercise. today i did leslie's walk away the pounds (WAP1) it's 10 mins or .5 of a mile shorter than her advanced walk aerobics (AWA) but she does incorporate 2lb weights in this workout. i also have walk away the lbs 2&3 which i haven't tried yet but plan too. i also have richard simmons 'sweating to the oldies'. so i will have a different workout each day of the week.

ALEKA
Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:29
Rose tattoo--On another string, I heard that being in lypolysis/ketosis makes one feel really hot. I was wondering because I'm 63- past menopause but am boiling hot all the time. Family says we live in an iceberg but I'm still HOT!!! most of the time and especially at nite. Aleka

BKM
Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:44
chloesue: "Did any of you have doctors that didn't want you to gain during pregnancies?"

My first was born in 1970. When I first became pregnant, I weighed 120#. At the 8-month mark I weighed about 125#. My doctor was just full of praise about how good I was doing, not letting myself "go", eating correctly, etc., etc. Since I was eating whatever I chose (we weren't put on today's rigid eating regimes back then!), I figured you really had to constantly pig out to put on extra weight!

But, between 2 visits (2 weeks, I think?) I put on 20 pounds -- was all puffed up, etc. My doctor went ballistic, yelled at me for being a "pig" and endangering my baby, etc. He had me in tears! He then put me on amphetamines -- after 2 days of them I called him and said it wasn't working, I was staying awake 24 hours -- so he changed it to amphetamines in the AM and a tranquilizer in the PM with diuretics at all times.... Fortunately, I was starting to get angry, and I started reading Adelle Davis -- I quit the pills, had my baby (no problems, but I guess I was heading towards toxemia???), and became very anti-medical (AMA).

My weight came back down (with the help of the left-over amphetemines!) within a month; I had a second child in 1972 and refused weight-control meds with her, but used a couple of amphetamines afterward (not more than 5-6 pills). This was all doctor prescribed and approved.

Then I had my 3rd child in 1976 -- and the doctor acted as though I was a drug-addict when I asked him for a week's worth of amphetemines for after the baby -- times had changed!

And by the time my 6th was born (1985), I wasn't even served a glass of wine with a meal at a restaurant "because you're pregant"....

jesdorka
Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:54
100 Mile Challenge, Monday, Aug. 18
Participants:

Leidon (Leah): NorthEast, Texas
Rose Tattoo: eastern Pennsylvania

there you go rose tattoo, all done :)

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-14-03, 11:47
There! I have my five mile 'practice' ride done on the excercise bike. If this is 'practice' the real challenge is a gonna kill me! :p Actually, I have found if I do it very first thing before I have a chance to fully wake up, I just keep riding and riding and stay in a 'fog zone'. I'm not convinced that is a good place to be, but I sure spend a lot of time there lately! :lol:

Rose and Aleka, I have the same problem with the 'hots'. I don't call them hot 'flashes' any more because it seems to be a constant state of body heat that is warmer than anybody around me! I always have the ceiling fan going and the air conditioner set to come on at temps over about 80° and Jim's always complaining about being chilled. In fact...we have totally traded places body temp wise over the years. I find that drinking extra water brings my core temp down most of the time. I sometimes wonder if it is the body's way of saying it needs a drink?

Here's hoping everybody is having a successful low carbing day!

ALEKA
Thu, Aug-14-03, 14:48
Thanks for that comeback Steaks---Drinking more water may be the ticket for me. Water is not my favorite beverage and am always forcing my self to drink more. That is a bugaboo for me. Anyway--Steaks--keep reminding me to drink water. I always need that shove. Hey- Left a note in your journal just a few minutes ago. Aleka

joizienew
Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:13
Hey all, Today I didn't do my morning walk, but did go to the fitness center. Had a great work our there and did 20 minutes on the stair climber after doing the weight training. I do some great stuff for my back and abs. I still weigh the same old 158. Sometimes I go up one pound or down one, but am really stuck there. I am not feeling as guilty about not walking, trying to accept that it will return and that I can't afford to beat myself up for things I think I 'should' do, and praise myself for the things I do do!

mizholly
Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:27
Oh Jozie -- I know how you feel!! I've been doing this for 4+ years.

158 is my middle name ... I'll lose a pound then gain a pound ... so frustrating. You know what we have to do? Decide that we are just freaking wonderful the way we are. We're doing the healthy thing and it is what it is.

I'm hoping for a downward trend, but if it doesn't happen, then I'm still the same outstanding person I was BEFORE the 4 or 5 pounds came off - no?

Obsession about weight is no different than compulsion about food, think about it.

Stay well,

Holly

jesdorka
Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:29
joyce--good for you, you are so right :thup:

Chloesue
Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:38
Good Evening Ladies,
Hope none of you have been affected by the power outages on the East Coast.Our power was out for a few hours this evening.Don't know if this is connected to the other power outages or not.
I didn't get any bike riding done today.Was a busy day with my grandson so didn't ride it any during the day.Then our power was out this evening which made it way too hot to even think of getting on the bike.Want to ride it at least 30 minutes tomorrow.
I don't suffer from hot flashes but as Nance was saying I am always feeling rather warm.I need the fans going.We have had a rather mild summer here in our area.Now the temperature is moving in to the 80's so I am feeling it plus the humidity is high.We are getting the afternoon pop up showers too.
I can handle the cold of winter a lot better than the heat of summer now.So glad we don't live where it stays above 90 in the summer.
I complain that I am rather warm and my hubby says that he feels just fine.So glad it goes down in to the 60's at night here.The windows open with the fan blowing on me at night feels wonderful:)

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Nancy

ALEKA
Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:44
Hi Joyce:wave:--It sure is good seeing your smiling face again--We have missed you!!!! I think that you are great and I have had the same problem most of my life- beating myself up over something that isn't worth a hill of beans. Did you ever read the book "What To Say When You Talk To Yourself" by Shad Helmstetter? One of my favorite quotes by him is this " How successful you will be at anything is inexorably tied to the words and beliefs about yourself that you have stored in your subconscious mind. And what is stored there, for the most of us, was decided for us by someone else" P. 23---My self talk for years was--You are no good--you are a total failure-- you are an idiot!!!--This book helped me fight against those thoughts but I still fall flat on my face and need to get back to my own voice. You have a wonderful voice--Like me, we only need to be as kind to ourselves as we are to others. Keep praising yourself for doing good things for yourself--and remind me to do the same thing will you??? Aleka:roll:

joizienew
Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:59
Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm a fighter and this little set back is a piece of cake. I'm getting a new kitty next week and I can't wait. She was born at the prison and one of the inmates has been taking care of the litter. I couldn't resist, since the prison dogs tend to be quite aggressive and little kittys would be a nice treat to munch on.

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-14-03, 22:01
Oh Joyce! A kitty is such a perfect companion for you right now too! I haven't been owned by a cat for quite some time now. :( Too many coyotes here to have kitties for dinner that I just don't have the heart to get another one.

Those are some pretty profound words Aleka. I might have to go find that book too. I had atendency to stuff my feelings and think negative thoughts all day until 4 years ago. Now I KNOW how precious time is so I try not to waste a second of it on negativity! My world is going to be just as good as I THINK it is going to be! Another way of saying it....fake it til you make it! Now...if that would just work with weight loss too! :lol:

You gals that are so close to what you chose as your goal weight...have you thought that maybe the size you are now is where the good Lord thinks you should be? I've seen some studies that indicate we often set our goal weights too low and then drive ourselves crazy trying to achieve the next to impossible. Do you know what I would give to weigh 158 pounds?! :lol: You guys have done wonderfully well. I think you should be rejoicing just like Holly said!! I am so proud of you! You are my inspiration to keep up the good fight!

Have a wondrous evening!

jesdorka
Fri, Aug-15-03, 18:10
well finally got my excersize routine completed, did the walk aerobics and biking first thing this morning however not able to take my walk til this afternoon--feels good when it's all done :thup:

mizholly
Fri, Aug-15-03, 18:55
Yep, it always feels good when it's done. Congratulations ... Monday's coming. GULP!

Nah, we'll be fine. Yes?

Happy Friday to all.

Holly

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-15-03, 21:21
Good Evening Ladies,
Sure hope hubby and I are able to get mys tationary bike put together over the weekend.Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be too hard or too complicated.

I am so glad that it is Friday.By the time Friday evening rolls around I am rather tired.My grandson Jeremy who will be 28 months in a few days is quite active.Don't know if there is a difference in boys and girls at this age but I sure don't remember our girls being this active.Then again I am 30 years older now so that migh make a little difference.

Jeremy will be starting a special pre-school this Thursday.He will attend on Tuesdays and Thursday from 8:30 to 1:30 so this will give me a little break those days.

I rode my bike 20 minutes awhile ago.Want to ride it at least 10 more minutes.Didn't get to ride it during the day since hubby was doing yard work.I couldn't leave a 2 year old unattended while I went to the bedroom to ride my bike,lol.

Is everyone ready for Monday?

Nancy
Nancy

jesdorka
Sat, Aug-16-03, 17:16
did my walk aerobics, stationary bike and my walk, normally on saturdays i just do the walk but since i started my program on tuesday i thought i would make up for monday and get my 5days of aerobics and biking in for this week. :yay:

Chloesue
Sat, Aug-16-03, 21:54
Hubby and I got my stationary bike put together today.I rode it for 6 miles.Sure is a lot easier and much quieter than my old bike.
How is everyone doing?
Nancy

jesdorka
Sat, Aug-16-03, 22:05
nancy-congrats on your 6 miles, good to hear you got your new bike up and running. :thup:
last winter i got a new bike, it is the recumbent style, you sit back and pedal and it has handles that go back and forth so you can work your arms as well, much quieter than my old bike. i quite enjoy it.

joizienew
Sun, Aug-17-03, 12:25
Hey everyone,

I just returned from the grocery store and had to share my 'finds'. I found ice cream!!! :yay: It's called "Le Carb" and it's by Goldenbrook. It has 6gr. carbs and 1gr fiber in 1/2 cup. Now I know 1/2 cup isn't much, but wait till you taste this stuff. It's great.

Also, Brummel & Brown makes a creamy fruit spread, comes in strawberry, blueberry, etc. Anyway, I use it to spread on my cheese cake. 1 tablespoon is 3g of carbs. 1 tablespoon goes a long way on a piece of cheese cake, and this would make a great spread on those cream cheese pancakes in the a.m.

You all may already know about this stuff, but it's new to me. Having a great day and hope everyone is doing the same.

My inspiration for today: "You are a healer." "Who you are is love, and what love does is heal."

ALEKA
Sun, Aug-17-03, 14:15
Love the saying Joyce---"You are a healer, Who you are is love and what love does is heal"---Amen--Amen!!! You are UP!!!! That's great. Aleka

mizholly
Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:35
hey all,

Joyce, I love Le Carb - especially the cinnamon, nummy!! I'll be checking out the B & B spread, thanks for the tip.

Nancy, glad your new bike is working out for you. I'm sure our old Nordic Trak will give up the ghost one day soon [it's 18 years old!!]. When that happens I guess we'll have to get something new. Jes, that recumbent bike sounds interesting .... how about the gazelle type machine - any thoughts?

Okay, ladies (and gents?) tomorrow's the big day - rev your engines!! Hope you're all warmed up. Today's our day off from exercise, but we'll be back at tomorrow - full speed ahead. :yay:

Howz bout we all check in tomorrow afternoon/evening with our mileage or time devoted, just another way to keep us all motivated to move our ample arses (speaking for myself, of course) :lol:

Stay well and hope to hear from you soon!!

Holly

Chloesue
Sun, Aug-17-03, 20:05
Are You Ready???
Tomorrow is the day.Should be fun to get this challenge on and to encourage each other to the 100 mile goal.I am so glad that I can now see the mileage that I have ridden.
When I was at my daughter's today so had me get on her treadmill then she started up some kind of program through a CD that is hooked up to the treadmill.It programs the workout and causes the treadmill to increase the speed and incline.The workout lasts 20 minutes.I was only able to stay on for 10 minutes so that wasn't too bad for my first time since I am not used to a treadmill.
I did that 10 minute rountine on the treadmill plus rode my stationary bike 3 miles today.Didn't want to over do the riding before tomorrow.I need to get used to the seat on the new bike.It is rather hard.The bike is also a lot quieter than my old one.

Maybe we should post the following each day:

Miles rode or walked:
Accumulated miles since the start of the challenge:

This way we can see how everyone is doing.

Everyone please don't forget to check in with us.

Nancy

ALEKA
Sun, Aug-17-03, 22:09
Hi Gals: :cheer:---GO!!!GO!!!GO!!! Aleka

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-18-03, 08:57
Good morning Ladies! Am I the first one to report in today? Wow!

Got up at 5 and climbed on the bike with a very sore knee. Couldn't peddle at my normal speed but managed the full 30 minutes for my personal goal for today. That ended up being 5.5 miles for today! WooHoo! Off and moving for the Challenge!

8/18 30 min 5.5 miles

Have a glorious, successful day today!

joizienew
Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:29
Well, it's almost time for me to leave for work and I've spent all morning with the realtor and at the bank. Everything's all messed up to say the lease. My pre-approval loan is wrong and things look pretty grim at this point. It's so bad that I'm thinking about renting again. Well, the bank is going to call me back when they investigate the thing..so all is not lost, but it's pretty close to it. :cry:

As far as the challenge, my biggest challenge today is not to scream and run far far away. (If I do run I promise to wear my pedometer) My bank is right across the street from the park where I walk, and as I watched the lady curse her computer and type in many numbers...I could look out the window and fantasize myself over there on the path, blisters and all. Oh the pain.

Well, sorry pals, but I'll have some catching up to do, you've all left me in the dust. I don't even have time to cry.

jesdorka
Mon, Aug-18-03, 19:35
exercise challenge:

aug 18-
advanced walk aerobics(AWA) 30 mins 1 mi
stationery bike 15 mins 5 mi
walk 40 mins 1.4 mi

total 85 mins 7.4 miles

congrats to everyone starting today and joyce hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day for you :)

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:21
Little late checking in with all of you.We had some plumbing problems today so a lot of our time was spent on that.Still not fixed right so a plumber might be needed.I always dread when my hubby tries to work on things like plumbing that he doesn't know that much about.We had a leaky faucet in our bathroom tub.It's a garden tub that we rarely even use.I looked on on the internet on the DIY site the directions for repairing a leaky faucet.It turned out to be more than what we thought.So we are hoping that tomorrow after a little rest my d/h can fix the problem or when our daughter Karen's boyfriend gets home from work that he can help Ken with it.Enough of that.

I did really good on my stationary bike today.

8-18: rode stationary bike 6.6 miles

Nancy

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:27
Joyce,
So sorry to hear about the problems you are having with getting the pre approval loan.Hope you get some good news about it from the bank.Please let us know what happens.
Nancy

Chloesue
Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:37
Way to go Jesdorka and Nance!!!

We haven't heard from a few of our challengers.Hope they check in and let us know how they are doing.It's ok not to check in every day since I know we have some days that are busier than others.

If we haven't checked in for awhile it would be nice to give a run down on how you are doing and the miles you travelled while you were absent.We want to be able to keep a running total on everyone as we go.

Hope this isn't asking too much of everyone.If it is just let me know then we can all come up with something different.

Nancy

mizholly
Mon, Aug-18-03, 22:04
Greetings All,

Just me, 'One-step-at-a-time', checking in ...

I took off the pedometer at 8 p.m. or so, registered 4.5 miles today. Half of those were the mall walk at "haul ass" speed (sorry if that offends anyone)

So, we're on our way!! Looking forward to all your posts.

Stay well and keep moving!

Holly

VALEWIS
Tue, Aug-19-03, 00:08
Would take too long to read all the messages on this thread, so thought I'd just jump in. I've introduced myself elsewhere so some of you may recognise the name. Summary: 63, Australia, single and retired, grandmother of 2, and with about 10-20 lbs to lose and finding it very hard. have been doing Atkins for 6 weeks with minimal change (about 5 lbs at the beginning) so decided last week to do things: 1)the famous carb load feedup for one day which reports say will kick start the metabolism (will report on results in a few days- did this on Sunday) and 2)just started weight lifting. I have been doing 4 sessions of medium impact aerobics classes a week for a year. Otherwise am totally sedentary as I enjoy computer and reading and my volunteer work is sedentary too. Guess I do my fair share of fork lifting and food prep! Unlike many, I am counting calories and am trying to keep them as high as possible and still below what I estimate my maintenance is...

Anyone else going to the gym? I have to say that I feel 100% better today than I did a year ago, when I weighed about 38 lbs more than I now do and wasn't exercising. I too have body issues like bad knees, lower back, and shoulder impingement so the weight lifting has to be pretty specific and of course is at baby level right now..

I decided to try getting into weights because it seems that cardio does not help much with fat burning, but weight lifting does. But I love my step classes (I use the platform flat on the floor to protect my knees and get up just as much a sweat as the younger girls do) and will keep doing them.

Val

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:33
Hi Valewis--welcome to the group--am 63yo too and this group is great and really don't care if we are over 50!! HA!!! SUGGESTION: START A JOURNAL--IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE FANCY--MINE SURE ISN'T.There everyone can write their thoughts and ideas to help you out too. The less you have to lose it seems the harder it gets to lose it. If you read Dr. Atkins book--he talks about jump-starting your weight loss. Go back to the book and check it out--I think it is called a fat fast!! Good luck!! Aleka

joizienew
Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:42
Welcome Val, 63 here also and have started a weight lifting program. I only go twice a week right now but plan to increase since the heat here in Tennessee is keeping me from my walking in the park.

Hi to everyone else, still overwhelmed with house hunting issues, but fighting to climb out of this slump I'm in.

BKM
Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:56
August 18: 4.4 miles (walking)

Bonnie

MizSteaks
Tue, Aug-19-03, 08:38
Hi guys!

8/19 5 miles 22 minutes
Total 10.5 miles 52 minutes

Bye guys! Will check in later today!

jesdorka
Tue, Aug-19-03, 17:26
hello everyone--

total carried forward 85 mins 7.4 miles
aug 19-walk away the pounds(WAP1) 20 mins 1 mile
stationery bike 12 mins 4 miles
walk 50 mins 2 miles
today's total 82 mins 7 miles

total to date 2.8hrs 14.4 miles

hope you are all having a good day :roll:

Chloesue
Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:07
Hi Everyone,
First I would like to welcome Val to our group.Glad you joined us.

I have decided to keep riding my stationary bike till I start to get really tired so that's why I have the partial miles added in.I see that my extra .60 mile yesterday and extra .30 mile today add up to almost a mile.I will keep doing that since every little bit of exercise helps.

8/19:Rode stationary bike 6.3 miles
Total to date:12.9 miles

Keep up the good work everyone:)

Nancy

ALEKA
Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:11
Rah-Rah:cheer:---Way to go girls--Keep up the good work!! Alice:agree:

mizholly
Tue, Aug-19-03, 23:09
just checking in ...

today:

4.93 miles

Hope everyone's fine and having fun!

Holly

BKM
Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:41
August 19: 4.8 miles (walking)

Total: 9.2 miles

:yay:

joizienew
Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:55
I am blown away at the amazing efforts I am seeing her by all you wonderful go getters. I'm still lagging behind, but today I made it to the park, and despite 90 degree heat I managed 3,500 steps. I'm going to measure my stride later and start to translate to miles. Gettin' late, gotta' go..

MizSteaks
Wed, Aug-20-03, 12:23
Wow! I am impressed with how everybody is doing! I have not been on my bike today...yet! :lol: My knee is acting up in a big way so I have decided to wait. I HAVE gotten windows washed inside and out in 2 rooms, picked/cut and baked corn for the freezer (Yummy recipe that I can't have any more but Jim loves), got the patio cleaned off and blown off and deadheaded about a dozen plants and got 2 loads of clothes washed/folded and 2 beds changed and made. If I still have any energy this afternoon...and the knee isn't still throbbing...I will jump on the bike and try to catch up! LOL!

jesdorka
Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:27
c/o=2.8 hrs 14.4 miles

aug 20-leslie's AWA 30 mins 1.5 miles
bike 13 mins 4 miles
walk 30 mins 1.2 miles
total 73 mins 6.7 miles

total to date 4 hrs 21.1 miles

and just for good measure i shovelled gravel for 45 mins today :roll:
hope everyone is managing to get their excercise in, some days can be tough to do.joyce- i am curious to see what 3500 steps converts to in miles and mizsteaks i would say you got a great deal of excercise today with that list of chores.

VALEWIS
Wed, Aug-20-03, 18:44
OK. Mine is sure different to everyone else's! I had
about 40 minutes lifting weights and 45 minutes step aerobics class. Tomorrow, a vigorous aerobics class, no weights. I am lazy about doing walking which is ridiculous, so may get started on this this weekend.

Hi Bonnie! I did a carb-up refeed on Sunday and it may have broken my stall (5-6 weeks) as suddenly clothes are a bit looser...was back in ketosis within 2 days. I won't weigh until Saturday to see if there has been a weight effect or not.

Val

mizholly
Wed, Aug-20-03, 18:58
Greetings all!

No 'official' walk today, but plenty of steps. Today was our day to help Aunty ... [my elderly somewhat immobile Aunt]. She always keeps up hopping. Although I hate to capitalize on her misfortune (she has serious mobility issues) it certainly inspires me (us) to keep it up ... movement has got to be the key to a comfortable and liveable old age.

Miles are hard to calculate, but certainly lots of stretching and such. Tomorrow's another day :-)

Steps equivalent to 2.3 miles - lots of vigorous stuff elsewise, no way to measure that, eh?

Howz bout we all submit our totals every Saturday evening?

Hope everyone is well,

Holly

Chloesue
Wed, Aug-20-03, 20:00
Good Evening Ladies,
8-20 Rode my stationary bike 6.1 miles
Total so far:19.1 miles

Plus I stay busy looking after my 2 year old grandson who keeps me on my toes.

Nancy

Chloesue
Wed, Aug-20-03, 20:03
Postings,
Please feel free to post your totals however you so desire and have the time to do.

It would be nice to have the weekly totals by Monday morning so we can see how everyone has done the previous week or weeks.

Sure don't want to make it too complicated for anyone.

Nancy

BKM
Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:36
Wow! Everyone's so much more active than I am! And I thought that I kept fairly active....

August 20: 5.1 Miles (walking)

Total: 14.3 miles

It's too darned hot to do any biking or roller blading -- maybe if the temps ever get below 100F (though likely I'll be complaining come January and be wishing for warm weather.....).

And Val, how marvelous to break your stall! Congrats! someday, somehow, I'm going to figure out just what is wrong with my eating... And I know I could exercise more, but I really don't know where I'd find the time -- we spend over an hour on our daily evening walk (the dogs sort of slow us down, they're mini-dachshunds)...

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:14
You gals are AWESOME!! I am so proud of each and every one of you! I wasn't able to bike again today but the knee is better so should be back on stride by tomorrow. I know I have some catching up to do but this is not about anything but MOOOOOOVING! Now, If I can just remind myself to stay off ladders and away from fruit trees, my knee should recover! LOL!

Have a Great day!

mizholly
Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:21
Okay Nance, what did I miss??? Ladders? Fruit trees? Is this a Dr. Phil show in the offing? :lol:

Seriously, hope all is well and you'll be out hauling it around soon.

Our thoughts are with you! :sunny:

Holly

Chloesue
Thu, Aug-21-03, 19:11
Had another good day on my stationary bike.As the days go by I am able to stay on it longer and longer.Think I am finally getting used to the seat.The first few days it really hurt my rear-end.

8-21:Rode stationary bike 7.35 miles
Total to Date:26.45 miles

I am really grateful for this challenge and all of you.This hasn't been an easy week here but I have felt very motivated to ride my stationary bike.I have also watched closely what I am eating so I am looking forward to saying goodbye to the few pounds I gained two weeks ago on our weekend get away.

Keep up the good work everyone :thup:

Nancy :yay:

jesdorka
Thu, Aug-21-03, 19:28
c/o 243 mins 21 miles

aug 21 leslie's AWA 30 mins 1.5 miles
bike 13 mins 4 miles
walk 45 mins 1.8 miles
total 88 mins 7.3 miles

total to date 5.5hrs 28.5 miles

hope everyone has had a good day and found some time to fit in a bit of excercise, i feel for those of you suffering through the 90 and 100 degree weather. fall has come early here, temps were just above freezing early this am and did warm up to around 55 this afternoon :rolleyes:

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-22-03, 09:26
:yay: :yay: :yay: WooHoo! That's me up and moving again! Got the knee to last for 20 minutes on the bike for 4.3 miles today. WIll try this afternoon for another 10 or 20 minutes.

Holly, thanks for the good wishes! No Dr. Phil show unless he talks about natural born klutz's who can't back down a ladder and count all the steps!! LOL! Stepped off one too early and tweaked the bad knee. Nothing unusual for me! But, the pears DID get picked!

Everybody is doing such a good job with this! I think the effort put forth is awesome and we don't really care how 'far' anybody goes...the fact that we're trying and DOING it is what matters. Keep up the wonderful work!

4.3 miles 20 min
14.8 miles 72 min Total to date

Have a mooooooving day!

BKM
Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:19
August 20: 5.1 miles (walking)
August 21: 3.3 miles (walking)

Total: 17.6 miles

Weekend's coming up -- hopefully will get some more activity in -- but just went out for our 1.2 lap (around the building complex) and I'm pretty-much drenched -- it's HOT! -- and it's not yet noon....

Whenever I wear clothing with a waist band, I clip my pedometer on -- always find it interesting just how many steps are needed in the kitchen, running to the print room, chasing the dogs out of the flower bed, etc., etc. I used to wonder, though, why chasing 6 very-active kids wasn't sufficient exercise!

mizholly
Fri, Aug-22-03, 16:55
Hey y'all,

Bonnie, I'm with you ... it's way too hot to move. Exercising outdoors isn't even an option in Tucson - unless of course you want to get up at o'dark-thirty!! And guess what? I ain't doing that!! [hey, winter's a-coming and we'll be out revelling in our spendiferous weather when all others are slogging through the snow, eh? :sunny: ]

Nancy, glad to hear your knee has started to forgive you and thank God the pears are in!! I've been painting our office today and my knees are not happy ... so I relate.

So, here's a question for all of us:

Can we do too much? We're doing 2.5 miles of power walking for 3 or 4 days a week. Two days we do another 40 minutes of Nordic Trak and Torture Ball - which includes a bunch of strength training. Sundays we don't do any formal exercise. Many days I totally feel wiped. Anyone else had this feeling? Input appreciated.

Looks like we're all doing great!

Holly

jesdorka
Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:46
hello all, got my excercise in before a downpour hit. 'good going'to all that were able to get some kind of excercise in their day.

c/o 5.5 hrs 28.5 miles

aug 22 WAP1 20 mins 1 mile
bike 12 mins 3.7 miles
walk 50 mins 1.6 miles
total 82 mins 6.3 miles

total to date 6.9 hrs 34.8 miles

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:49
Since today is Friday I was feeling rather tired after chasing a 2 year old around all week.Since our daughter got off from work early due to having training all week and putting in later hours she picked grandson up early.After they left I actually laid down and took an hour nap this afternoon.Felt much better after that.I should make it a point to get to bed earlier than I do since I have to get up at 6 AM so I will be alert by the time grandson comes at 7:30.

Since I was rather tired I didn't exercised as much as I have been doing this week.

8-22:Rode stationary bike 3.75 miles anad walked 1 mile

Total so far:31.10 miles

Nancy

Chloesue
Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:52
A few Thoughts:
It's interesting to read about the different weather everyone is experiencing.I couldn't believe it when Jesdorka mentioned that they had freezing temperatures already.Then Holly and Bonnie are having hot weather.
Today was cooler than yesterday.It was in the 70's and humid compared to the 80's and humid yesterday.It was nice to have it a little cooler today since our house isn't air conditioned.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Nancy

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-22-03, 20:46
Success at last! I DID get back on the cursed bike and put in another 15 minutes this afternoon. :p I have been so energetic today that it has been hard to sit still. I love it! Wish I knew the magic formula so I could bottle it! :lol: :lol:

Total for the day 35 min 8 miles
Total to date 72 min 18.5 miles

Have a great weekend and keep those bodies mooooing!

joizienew
Sat, Aug-23-03, 07:20
Hey everyone, Well, I know you all love my new kitty, but I had to take her back. She was sooo shy, all she did was hide under my bed. I felt so sorry for her. So I exchanged her for a male and he is doing really well. He is cute as a button also, but much more active and getting along well with my other cats. I still have the other little male that my sons friend is supposed to come for. Joel hasn't been able to reach him as yet, and in the mean time I am bonding with the little guy. So who knows I might end up with both of them. My exercising has been cut to minimum. It's been so hard for me to walk because of the heat and the blisters. I still go to the gym twice a week and plan to increase that rather than worry about walking. The only thing is I can't really count my steps on the stair climber. But I do feel good physically and haven't gained any, so I guess that's going to have to do for now.

MizSteaks
Sat, Aug-23-03, 14:05
Oh Joyce! He's so sweet! Sorry miz Kitty didn't work out...but this one is just as cute as she was and sounds much happier.

I still think you should get double count for the "high' stepper! Can you count them yourself if the pedometer won't? It just isn't fair to work that hard and not get credit for it. SOrry it has been so blasted hot back there too. Just concentrate on getting those danged old blisters healed for now.

I did my 5 miles on the bike this morning and tried to go as fast as possible, I managed a personal best and the knee held together! Have even gone for a walk berry picking today too. See! All I needed to get moving was some company! Thanks gals!

Total to date 72 min 18.5 miles
Today 19 min 5 miles
New total 91 min 23.5 miles

Have an active day Gang!

Chloesue
Sat, Aug-23-03, 14:25
Checking in to see how everyone is doing.Haven't finished riding my bike for the day yet.

I'm not as tired today for which I am thankful.

Nance....good going on all of that riding.

I am also a cat person.I have 4 female cats and 1 male cat.We took the male cat in last year since it was a stray and kept coming to our house.Once we started to feed him he wouldn't go away.That's OK since he is a very sweet lovable cat.

Nancy

Chloesue
Sat, Aug-23-03, 14:35
Joyce,
I just looked at the picture of your cat.What a pretty cat!! Those eyes are gorgeous.

I need to figure out how to add pictures so I can add some to my messages.

Nancy

Chloesue
Sat, Aug-23-03, 14:47
I am doing a test message to see if I can figure out how to add a picture.

want2bfit
Sat, Aug-23-03, 14:51
Hello everyone. I love seeing the support you give each other here. Can I join in? There is a slight problem. I am 46 but that is sooo close to 50. It is actually closer to 50 then 40 (sorry about the begging). I need much encouragement to exercise. :wiggle: I have been married for 22 years, have a 14 1/2 year old daughter and a 6 1/2 year old son. We are all lcing but none of us are exercising. I was recently diagnosed with dcis (stage 0 breast cancer). Had a lumpectomy on 8/1 and reduction to even things out. Tomorrow they are probably going to recommend 6 weeks of radiation 5x's/week. I may get pretty tired from that but I don't want to use that as an excuse. I need to get in shape not only for myself but to be an example for my children. We have a stationary bike that went out on the deck to make room for the Christmas tree and never came back in. My husband is cleaning all the rust off of it up as I write. Can you let me know what the original challenge was? Thanks in advance. Blessings, Maureen

Chloesue
Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:01
I am doing something wrong.The link for the picture did not appear.I am trying to send a picture of my grandson or even a link to click on.Let me try some more.

Still no picture so I give up for now.Will check back later with all of you.

Nancy

Chloesue
Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:11
Hi Mareen,
Glad I checked back for messages.We would love to have you join us.The more the merrier.This is an easy challenge just to get us moving.We have set a goal of 100 miles for everyone to achieve no matter how long it takes.It's just a way to get is motivated and moving.

Yesterday makes 4 weeks that I have been riding my stationary bike.Has to get a new one since the odometer didn't work on the old one.It's so nice to see how far I am going now.

So sorry to hear about your breast cancer.You have a great attitude about it so I want to congratulate you on your positive attitude.

Now start out slowly on your bike and work up to more distance.That is what I have done in the past month.

Guess I should tell you a little about me.I am 52 but will be 53 in October.I am a grandmother to a 28 month old grandson that we take care of during the week while his parents work.He was a preemie weighing only 3 pounds 3 ounces.He is a very active 2 year old with a little delay in his speech.He will be starting a special pre-school on Tuesday to help with his speech and give him time with other children his age.This a big deal for us now since we don't know how he will react being gone from us for 4 hours twice a week.I am sure it will be an adjustment for him.

Enough of that.Have you thought about starting a jounal?It would be a great place to write down your thoughts and how you are doing on a daily basis.We would all love to stop by and give you words of encouragement.

Please peddle away and join our challenge.Please remember that it is a challenge to get moving and everyone that keeps at it for 100 miles is a winner no matter how long it takes.

Nancy

ALEKA
Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:21
Joyce--Saw brothers picture--he is a cutie too but that little female --the shy one--was adorable. Sorry she didn't work out but brother should wangle his way into your heart quickly too. What is his name?? Alice

ALEKA
Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:26
Hi All--Meant to tell you that I think you all are doing fantastic--Maureen --I'm not exercising at present- but have been the designated cheer-leader for the group. Been doin' a lousy job lately- but I for one agree with Cloesue and welcome you to the over 50' group!! Hey all--Way to go:cheer:Up an' At em'--Have a great weekend!! Alice:wiggle:

want2bfit
Sat, Aug-23-03, 15:39
Dear Nancy,

Thanks so much for the welcome. My bike actually still works so I am pretty excited. I know everyone will want to ride it now that it's inside which thrills me. The kids start school on Wed. so there is no excuse after that.

Great move to get your grandson started now. Bradley, my 6 1/2 has mosaic down syndrome and he went through an early intervention program through our state called birth to three. Then went to an accredited preschool for special need kids that allows "typical" children to also participate. He is now in 2nd grade with his peers and gets pulled out for 1 1/2 hours a day for math and reading. He also receives speech, ot & pt.

We were watching him the other day and we commented that if we only did all the moves he does during the day, that would be enough of a workout. I'm sure that's the same for you with your grandson. Our only problem was we basically did an only carb diet prior.

I so admire you grandparents who care for your grandchildren. My inlaws do that and it seems so exhausting.

You know the gym teacher gives homework during the summer. She has a map of the United States and for every 1/2 hour of exercise the kids get to color a little space as they "travel" across the country.

Dear Alice,

Every good team needs a great cheerleader so thanks.

mizholly
Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:09
Joyce,

He's adorable!!! Have you named him yet? We're cat people too - we've got one grand dame left. She's 13 years old and was only supposed to live for a few weeks - HA!!

Stay well,

Holly

mizholly
Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:16
Hey Maureen,

Welcome Aboard - happy to have you!

We'll all be pulling for you and if the radiation knocks you out too much, you can join our cheerleading squad with Alice. Like they say, the more the merrier.

Stay well,

Holly

jesdorka
Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:44
c/o 8.4 hrs 41.8 miles

aug 23 WAP1 20 mins 1 mile
Bike 12 mins 4 miles
Walk 60 mins 2 miles
Total 92 mins 7 miles

total to date 8.4 hrs 41.8 miles

hi all and welcome maureen
way to go :clap: everyone for getting some kind of excercise (movement) in your day. the sun was shining here today so i got in a good walk. enjoy the rest of the weekend

want2bfit
Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:59
Woohoo!!!:dazzle: You all are soooo great!!! Thanks everyone for your encouragement and welcomes.:sunny: By the way can someone tell me how to figure out what your pulse rate should be for the exercise to be effective? Blessings, Maureen

8/23 Bike 20 min 8 miles