Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 13:48
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%
Default Gah! Not losing!

I've picked up walking/jogging. In the past two days I have walked/jogged six miles, and the scale still isn't moving. I'm not cheating, either. Can anyone offer any advice? I go to the gym. Is there any eqquipment you've had luck with that seems to work efficiently? I want to lose weight, but my body isn't cooperating. Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 13:56
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

i'm going to give you a few of my thoughts....

Your body may be building muscle at the same time it is dropping fat. 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat but is 2/3 of the size. Are you measuring? That may show you that you are losing in your size....

What is your daily calorie intake? If you have taken up exercise but are not eating enough your body may be hanging onto your fat until it sees that it is getting engough food.

Are you doing HIIT walking/jogging? Is this new activity a big increase from your former exercise? Are you hitting a "10" when you finish your walk/jog?

It may take some time for the exercise routine to effect your weight... how long have you been exercising?

That's my $.02...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 14:03

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

A couple of things.
How many calories are you eating a day?
In order to lose you need to create a calorie deficit of 10-15% below your adjusted BMR.
Are you drinking enough water?
Have you been taking your measurements?
If you would like more info on BMR click on this link
http://www.ecybex.com/education/cal...s/bmr_calc.html
BTW you are making steady progress. I had a 4 month period where I only lost a pound or two. But I have to look at the overall progress.

Jeff
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 14:08
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Our bodies are stubborn.

I agree with Nets and Jag! Take your measurements every 3-4 weeks, forget the scale, increase weight training and limit the cardio 20-30 mins sessions.

red
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 16:30
Get’n Skinny

Plan: BFL
Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%

Other than the calorie defect Jeff mentioned (and If there isn’t one, the scale won’t move!), I’ve always gotten out of a stall by changing my workout. It’s worked so well in the past, now I change it up every 4 weeks. What I mean by changing your workouts is doing a different exercise for each body part. For example: I’ll do incline, decline and flat bench for my chest for 4 weeks, then I’ll change it up and do flies and cable crossovers for the next 4 weeks. I hope this helps.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 17:46
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

Thanks everyone. Now that I think about it, I guess I haven't been eating much the past few days (I can hardly make time between classes, exercising, and working). I've probably only been eating around 1,300 calories a day. I assume that isn't enough if I am burning around 400 calories per day doing cardio?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cardio isn't actually all that great by itself for fat loss. And although it is true that muscle weighs more than fat, it's VERY hard for women to gain muscle. If you do heavy resistance training with lots of protein, in your FIRST year, if you're LUCKY, you MIGHT gain 10 pounds of muscle. The next one, maybe another 3-5 pounds. After that, if you manage 2-3 pounds in a year, consider yourself lucky. And you won't gain much muscle walking.

If you JUST started walking, your muscles may be retaining water. Give 'em a few days, and as they settle down, they'll release the water.

Consider doing some resistance training. It really helps with fat loss in a way that cardio never can.