Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 186/147/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Not Losing? Consider Your Hormones.

Hi,

I am writing this in hopes of helping anyone who has tried every low-carb tweak in the book yet they cannot lose. I will share with you briefly my low-carb story. I started this WOE after losing some weight the low fat way. However, when the low-fat way stopped working I came to the low-carb way. Although I initially got some energy and stamina I still failed to lose (aside from a few inches here and there).

At this point in time I was lifting free-weights and had an excellent walking program going. Nothing would make the weight budge. If I lost 3 lbs. 2 would come back. OR I would gain 4 pounds from no where ......

Initially I thought it was my thyroid. After treatment for my low T4 I still was not gaining energy back. I was in fact starting to slowly feel worse. I was at this point going from doctor to doctor. Finally one Endocrinologist tested my pituitary function. Low and behold something was off there. This lead to more tests. And a trip to a leading Endocrinologist.

If your not losing please consider the possibilty that you hormones could be off. Please be careful about supplementing with over the counter preparations before examining or testing as they can worsen or aggrivate such hormonal conditions.

The following is a list of hormones that should be checked if you have honestly tried everything and still don't get anywhere. For many people pituitary disease is a cause of stubborn weight issues and many doctors don't look at it-or refuse to consider it. Also PCOS is a close cousin with Cushing's disease, it can be caused by Cushing's disease. There are other pituitary tumors that can be treated very effectivley with medicines. In my case I am having mine removed surgically on Mar. 12th.

TSH, FREE T4, T4 AND FREE T3
LH & FSH
PROLACTIN
AM & LATE PM CORTISOL ( CHECKING FOR DIURNAL VARIATION)
24 UFC (24 HOUR URINE COLLECTION)
IGF1
ACTH
DHEAS
FREE TESTOSTERONE & TESTOSTERONE
(ALWAYS ALWAYS GET COPIES OF YOUR LABS!)

I hope and pray this may help someone, someday from the pain and frustration that I experienced.

Last edited by Jeanner : Tue, Mar-04-03 at 10:46.
Sponsored Links