Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 20:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Red face Gout? Really?

I haven't been very good about drinking the water while on LC and now I think I know why I should have. I have a very sore big toe. Seems to be mostly the bone above the "knuckle" but is quite variable - aching, burning, tender, swollen, or nothing.

Is this what gout fees like? I guess the first thing I should do is drink a LOT of water. And then go see the doctor if that doesn't do it. It has been bad since about Nov. 1 but I've had some problems during the past years. Any ideas?

BarB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 20:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi BarB

That sure sounds like gout ... I'll try to find a little more "technical" info about it. Just to reassure about low carb diet and gout ... there's no link. My brother has had gout for years, long before LC. He still has the gout ... but it's no worse or different since he's been following Atkins.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 20:48
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Gout is an inflammatory condition that is caused by the deposit of uric acid crystals in joints (most famously the big toe) as well as other tissues. Typically, attacks of fierce pain, redness, swelling, and heat punctuate pain-free intervals. Medical treatment consists of anti-inflammatory drugs for acute attacks and of uric acid-lowering drugs for prevention (allopurinol).

Atkins suggests that his plan may aggravate gout, but not because of it being low carb ... he attributes the problem to rapid weight loss. His suggestion is to slow the weight loss by adding a few more carbs and also to take prescription medication for gout.

From the Protein Power FAQ's the Drs. Eades have this to say:
Quote:
I have heard that eating higher amounts of meat can cause elevated uric acid levels. Is this true?

Increased levels of uric acid are associated with insulin resistance, which results from high intake of sugars and starchy foods. Most people who have gout have a problem with under excretion of the uric acid from the kidneys. There isn’t a problem with the production of uric acid but there is with the excretion of it. Although it is not fully understood, there seems to be some enzyme defect that causes this to happen. The uric acid gets stored in the tissues and once insulin levels start to drop, from decreased carbohydrate intake, the uric acid becomes mobilized and there can be crystallization within the joints, therefore a gout episode. It is important to drink plenty of fluids, supplement with magnesium, and do not go on and off the plan. People with a known history of gout problems should discuss with their physician, the possibility of using medications to prevent attacks when first starting the plan. Once they have their insulin and uric acid levels under control with the diet, the medication could be discontinued.
Some nutritional references suggest supplementing folate (folic acid) up to 50 mg a day, and essential fatty acids ... flax and/or fish oils may be helpful for reducing inflammation.

Devil's Claw root is a traditional folk remedy, often available as a tea. And definitely drinking more water to keep the uric acid crystals flushed out.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 21:10

BF:

thank you Doreen. Of course, I am self-diagnosing (with no qualifications outside what I find on the internet) so I probably will go see the Dr, next week if it is still there or not better. And I will try to drink the water, take the Magnesium & folate & oils and drink MUCH more water.

BarB
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 03:17

BF:

An update:

Finally got to the doctor last December about the toe. Blood test showed that it was NOT gout.

X-ray showed that I have osteoarthritis in that toe joint and will just have to live with it. Ah, the joys of living longer.

But I wanted you all to know that it was NOT gout and therefore NOT caused by the LC life.

Onward & downward.

BarB
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default hi tofi and doreen

This is right up my alley!!
Since I have had the most severe case of gout that anyone could imagine. It was in the wrists, the ankles, the feet, the knuckles of the right hand, both wrists, the left knee and the hip. From an afternoon of watching the grand kids, to crutches is unbelieveable.
I had been treated for osteoarthritis as well, but after the Vioxx that made me lose half my blood and 2 blood transfusions later, I went to a new Rehumi.
She claims that blood tests do not always show the crystals, because they disappear before you can catch sight of them. She claims the only way to know for sure is to take fluid from the affected joint and place under a microscope immediately.

She also said she didn't think diet played the role as most commonly thought. She places me on Colchicine and the first bad bout went away overnight. A small dose for maintenance seemed to work for a while and then the gout broke through the medication. Now I'm being prescribed prednizone, cortizone shots and allopurinal.
All of this scares me.
Doreen I didn't find the connection to insulin that you did and I would like to know where you found it?
I researched it myself and found there are some supplements advised and a two week diet of fresh fruits and veggies. I want to try something else other than keep adding medications.
I can't get it out of my mind that since it is related to metabolism I thought there might be more to the diet thing and supplements than the doctor's know.
You do what your doctor says, but I'm questioning this because no matter what they do to me, it's getting worse.

Also, your pain in the big toe is a classic sign, which I never had.
If they give you Vioxx as they did me, make sure they have your blood count checked every month or at least every other month.

Keep us informed, the more info the better!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 02:39

BF:

I've been on Vioxx since it came out. Took it for a year (July 1999 to May 2000) when I had the right hip replacement. Then had to restart it last June when the left hip started to be too painful. (The operation for it is scheduled for this June.) No problems such as you describe. I donated blood just this January and all counts seem fine. I am sorry to hear you have had such a hard time. I'll bring doreen's attention to your question.

BarB

I sent Doreen a message and hope she has time to answer your questions. I should also note that , while no evidence of gout was found, the pain has decreased significantly since I got better about drinking the water around New Year's.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, Feb-17-02 at 11:39.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 00:02
Forum Founder

BF:

hi jujubaby

The reference to insulin was from the Protein Power FAQ. As well, in Protein Power Lifeplan, the Drs Eades mention in several places that gout is one of many conditions associated with insulin resistance.

Here is a useful article on gout, insulin resistance and diet. And this article describes Syndrome X (insulin resistance), with increased uric acid and gout listed as related conditions.

Your doctor is right about diet being less of a factor than was once thought. Previously, patients were put on a strict, low-purine diet, which was basically vegetarian, and very low protein. However, dietary purine only accounts for 50% of uric acid production and .. studies since the 1990's show the link between gout and increased insulin and insulin resistance, and several small studies show improvement of gout symptoms with a higher protein, low carb diet.

hope this is helpful

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 01:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks dorren

Thank you I will check out the book and at least up to now the all fresh fruit and veggies coupled with cherry juice extract has helped me and will be looking forward to getting the books.
Now it comes out that my nephews have record high uric acid in their blood and did not have regular bad gout attacks as I did.
maybe gout has less to do with diet but what I find out will be investigated as well.

I don't want to talk too soon , but it seems that I am trying something right, since I lost a few pounds in addition to gout relief.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 14:41

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

web search for information on celery and cinnamon as useful dietary additions for the relief of arthritis, celery also touted as an aid in cases of gout. I concur with cherry extract, feel that others have had similar success. Be advised that alot of grocery stores have artificial cherry extract, and this will not be effective. Check at your drug store for real cherry extract. Lots of water helps, and symptoms can be combatted with ibuprofin until corrective measures are working.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 02:39
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the information you guys!It seems that while I was waiting for the gout to subside, which it did, I now have to worry about a chest cold with an overlying factor of asthma. So I have to take the prednesone afterall for this terrible cough.
I feel like everything is stacking up against me right now.
Will cut this short being that it is also 2;15am.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 02:44

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Here is a useful article on gout, insulin resistance and diet.

I followed the links connected to this article. I eventually came to an article titled "How to eat if you have gout". It's found here: http://www.healthandage.com/Home?gm...=null&x=87&y=10
It sure doesn't look like a low-carb eating plan. It talks about eating skinless, low-fat meat / meat products per week, etc. Didn't sound as low-carb as what I expected.

I'm trying to present some guidance to a friend with severe gout but I don't know much about the disorder myself. I'm heavily relying on the info through this forum. It sure is confusing when one side of the 'fence' says "eat low-purine" (which is high carb), yet on the other side we can hear "eat low carb". My friend goes to a "Doctor Whacko" ...he needs to find a new doctor but here in our area, doctors are scarce. (I'm also in the process of trying to find doctors willing to take on new patients so he can change doctors) Any guidance from you folks sure is appreciated.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 11:41

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

My DH suffered from gout for about 25 years and took Allopurinol, which worked very well.

In December his doctor had him stop taking the Allopurinol after DH told him we've been eating low carb for 2 years, and he hasn't had as much as a twinge since then. He's still taking a wait-and-see attitude, but he's pretty happy so far.

Karla