Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:13

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 161/157/135
BF:38%/36.3%/25%
Progress: 15%
Question Has anyone switched from LC to BFL eating plan with Success??

I was wondering if anyone had switched from lowcarbing to following the diet plan (and exercise) given by BFL? I have always had problems strictly eating lowcarb, I usually have 30-50 carbs per day. But I'm kind of scared to stop trying to lowcarb and completely following BFL. The reason I'm considering it is because I'm pretty sure I could follow the BFL plan, especially with knowing I could have a free day (or maybe just a free meal if I overdo the free day). I haven't really lost too much weight (4-6 lbs in 3 months) on lowcarb since I can't seem to stick with it. I'll do well most of the day but then a few bites of pasta or icecream will get my carb count too high. Also, if I do switch to BFL eating style, I will have to readjust my mindset from lowcarb (high fat) to lowfat.
I have recently started focusing on my calorie deficit (according to the info from Hussman) every day so I can create enough of a calorie deficit to lose 1 lb of body fat per week. This should workwithout lowcarbing, right?
Can I get some opinions on what I should do? Please help me! If looking at my fitday food/journal (my journal includes my calculations for my calorie deficits), I can post that link.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:21

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Since starting BFL I have been adding a few carbs here and there.
I will have my carbs in the morning in form of oatmeal, or whole grains.
The rest of the time, I stick to carb friendly meals, tuna fish salad for lunch, lean meats and veggies for dinner.
I don't over do it with the heavy creams and fats like a true low carber, but I don't go low fat either. Sort of middle of the road with the fats.

My carbs are about 75-100 a day. I have been losing slowly, I just started BFL but I can feel my body changing already.

I guess I will have to give a better response in a few weeks and see what happens.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have successfully gone from LC and lifting / BFL to LF and BFL. I did C5 with BFL nutrition, lost about 28 inches and 28 lbs (I think - details are linked via the homepage). It worked really well for me, mainly because it was a change. Nothing like a shock to the system to get things moving.

Just a word of caution about restricting calories. IF you follow Husseman's advice it will work, if you're eating low fat, by the book. If you're doing your challenge LC then I would not follow his calorie recommendations - it's just not enough food.

1400 calories done LF/MC/HP is a lot of food.
1400 calories done HF/LC/HP is not a lot of food - you end up hungry and miserable.

Freeday. It's something that I found very different doing the plan both ways. When I LCed it was a day to have LC desserts and not eat 6 times. When I did LF it was a day to not have 6 meals and eat more calories. If you go LF then calories will be restricted; its just math. If you go LF then free day helps to keep your body from thinking "diet" - it actually helps you keep losing over the long run.

Then again, that's just my experience with it
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:11

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 161/157/135
BF:38%/36.3%/25%
Progress: 15%
Default Good Advice!

Thanks for the good advice. KellyG5, please let me know about your progress. You look great in your pics!
Nat, I see what you're saying about not mixing the plans. I have decided to follow the BFL eating plan but with slightly fewer carbs, especially since the LC doesn't seem to be working for me. Maybe it is time for a change. I am going to follow Hussman exactly and focus on my calorie deficit (counting the calories on the free day). I think eating 6 times a day will help with my metabolism too. I think it is pretty messed up from all of the different kinds of diets I've been on over the last 10 years. It's hard for me to believe anything will work after all of the failure I've had but hopefully there will be a change now that I'm working out according to BFL and focusing on a calorie deficit and following the BFL eating plan. So would your recommendation be to not do any additional cardio than the BFL plan even though I have about 20 lbs of fat to lose? Before I started BFL this week, I had been doing anywhere from 45 min to 1 1/2 hour of interval cardio a day, even though it hasn't seemed to help me lose weight. I am in a wedding in July and really need to have lost at least 15 lbs by then or at least dropped in sizes, especially since I might have ordered a size too small in the bridesmaid's dress since it runs small.
Thanks for your advice - it's so encouraging and gives me hope that this plan actually might work!