Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Dr R Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 291/282/200
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Hi from Sydney

Hi all, I posted this into the introduction section, but as the Diabetic forum is probably where I am most interested I thought I would copy it to here also.

I have been lurking around the forums for about a week now, and starting on low carb plan 4 days ago. Already my BGL has dropped from morning fasting reading of 17.2 to 12.2. Still a way to go, but I am feeling confident now.

So here is my story. I was diagnosed with Diabetes around 1 year ago. I walk a lot but I have had a lot of trouble losing weight (even when I tried). I started on Metformin a few months ago, but only 2x500 dosage, which I don't think was enough. I have listened to my doctors and dietician for a year, and followed their advice. It didn't work. My BGL is still out of control, up and down, and I have not lost weight. I did some research. I found a copy of Dr Bernstein's book on a recent business trip to the USA. I also read a copy of Dr Atkins' book. I have decided to take my treatment into my own hands in a desperate bid to fend of insulin injections (having watched my father do this for 40 years it is a path I would rather not tread).

My initial goal is to get my BGL below 8.0 and keep it there. This is the main purpose of my being here, but hell, if I lose a little weight along the way then great. I wonder if it is possible to get it between 4.0 and 6.0 - Seems impossible, but we shall see. I am also interested to see how my blood pressure reacts. Once it got to 160/90 I got put onto Blood Pressure meds, but REALLY want to get off those quickly.

I have read the forums a lot, especially the diabetics forums on here and they are helpful. I am going to follow the low carb life well, but I am not intending to obsess about scales or my weight... its about getting healthy and feeling well. I am not following either Atkins Induction, nor Dr Bernsteins plan to the letter, really just a general low carb, pure non processed food plan.

I have a wonderful parnter, who is TOTALLY supportive of me adopting this WOE. He loves me no matter what and that makes anything in life easier.

I am going to start a journal now.

Thanks all
Sweetie from Sydney
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 17:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Sweetie!

Yes, it IS possible to get your blood sugars to between 4 and 6, although I think you would be doing great to get it between 5 and 5.5. Look how far it's dropped already in just 4 days! Mine was 11.8 when I started 18 months ago and was on Metformin. My last check a few months ago showed me at 5.3 without the Metformin.
My BP was also dangerously high when I started (180/106) and I was put on BP meds. I'm off those too and my last check a few weeks ago showed my BP at 106/80 without meds.
Oh, yeah...I lost 75 lbs. too.
Don't expect to get there overnight, but I'm sure if you stick with it you will get there.
Patience and persistance are the name of the game.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr R Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 291/282/200
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Thanks Lisa

Thanks Lisa....

Your story is very inspirational to me. I think I might have to go read through, your journal as you are where I want to be.

I'm on holiday right now, and its almost summer, and a beautiful day, so i'm off for a walk on the beach.

Cheers
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 17:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

LOL...I'm jealous. Winter is just beginning here and we got 2 inches of snow last night with more predicted for tonight. Looks like it's going to be a white Thanksgiving here!