Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 20:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/210/145
BF:
Progress:
Smile Hi! I'm new here....!

I'm new to this group, but am really looking forward to participating. I found you all this afternoon and immediately registered - I'm just starting Protein Power (again). I have done Atkins (too strict) and the Carbohydrate Lover's diet ( too loose). I'm hoping PP will be "just right". I figured out all the numbers - what I have to loose, etc. and feel really good about it. I did well this first day and am really pleased.

Here are my stats -

46 years
5'3"
57.5% body fat (Oh my God!!!)
Goal weight - 145-150 (seems a little heavy to me, but...)

I lost about 60 lbs. nearly 10 years ago. I gained a ton of weight when when pregnant with my last child, and weighed 210 then, too. I dropped 60 lbs. in about 8 months and looked and felt great. Unfortunately, my personal situation became intolerable (I lost a child) and I really didn't do much besides eat for a number of years.

Life is very excellent again, though, and I feel ready to start taking good care of myself once again. I have very high blood pressure and a little heart trouble, so I really am motivated to get off all this medicine and feel like a human again!

Thanks for being here, all of you. I think the support from this group will make a big difference!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 22:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Welcome, Kristen!

I'm so sorry for your loss....but I'm glad you're feeling better and ready to start taking care of yourself again. You'll find plenty of info and good support on this forum. Keep checking in, and keep us posted!

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 22:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Kristin! Welcome!! Look forward to reading about your progress. Word of caution, if you're on medication for your high blood pressure, please, please have your doctor monitor you closely while you start this way of eating. Maybe you already know this; just want to make sure. The book Protein Power explains why really well. Good luck!
Jeanette
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 00:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the board Kristen!

PP is great. I'm sure you'll never look back

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 06:27

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Welcome Kristen!
Glad that you found us.... everyone here is very supportive! You'll do great!!! Keep us posted!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: Own Combinations, just trying not to exceed 20g/day..Struggling tho
Stats: 174/160/125
BF:
Progress:
Default Welcome Kristen and all newbies!!!

Greetings from Malaysia. Kris, I haf a bunch to trim off too wt and inches well... keep ya chins up..you can do it girl! Like whats stated in the Doreen's tips " Learn to listen when ya body say enuff" ..my eardrums almost burst too when my body screams at me whenever I found dresses i really like and my body cant fit into it'
So far with this WOE i see the needle on the weighin scale going down...sumtime slow sumtimes fast. I trimmed off in inches too.... I started carbin at 174lbs now I am 162lbs (surprisingly needle still went down tho I am due menstruation in a week,,I usally gain 2-3lbs during such time) I also lost an inch at me thighs. I hope me progress motivates ya..coz I was on a plateau fa over 2 yrs!

I am still not facinated with those achivements yet till i reach me goal. I wont wish ya luck in ya current attempt to get back in shape again...coz it's all in the mind.

Ok ..my total carb intake fa today time checked 8.37pm is
9 carbs ..I just eat meat..egg..fish..the whole day and my spirulina(this weed actually contain most of the mineral ya body need)..I dont take any vitamins. I think I'd better grab a 3 cubic in of papaya and gobble that in a moment. hee hee. My carb budget is 20g and I really needta stick to that..

Everybody here is rite..its does get easier after a forthnite...trust me..
amazingly now I can actually say `NO' to the carby stuffs.

So Kristen..LETS DO THIS TOGETHER!!!

Anne
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 07:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

hi Kristen ... welcome tour forum..

Lots of members here following the PP program, as well as other lowcarb plans. Jeanette has given good advice about frequent follow-up with your doctor ... especially since your blood pressure may improve quickly .. and you won't need as much, if any of the medication you're taking (but only your dr. should decide this) Also, some of the recommeded nutritional supplements, potassium in particular, may not be a good idea to take with certain classes of heart and blood pressure meds. - ACE inhibitors such as captopril, enalapril. Your pharmacist would be another good resource to ask about this concern.

I'm sorry too for your loss, but thankful and happy for you that you've found some peace and the ability to move forward. I just know you're going to be successful ..

Keep us posted! Doreen

hey Anne

12 lbs lost!!! Woo hooo! That's terrific. Stalled and plateaued for over 2 years ... now 12 lbs gone in a few weeks... ...

You know that if you were still eating lowFAT but high-starch and sugary foods, you'd still be stuck at that plateau, maybe worse ..

About the monthly water-weight gain, I've found that although I do gain a bit (and lose it quickly in a few days) the AMOUNT that I gain is much, much less with lowcarbing ...... it used to be "normal" to pack on 5 or 8 lbs even --- now, just a couple. I find cutting back on salty foods for about 5 days prior is helpful -- plus walking, walking and more walking ...

Keep up the great work Anne!

luv from Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi kristen and welcome! this is a wonderful site for support and info! i hope you'll post often! i'm so sorry for your loss, but i'm happy that you've found peace and are enjoying life again!