Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 23:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/226/140
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Atkins and Protein Power Plan???

Hi...just a question...what really is the difference between these two plans...can someone please tell me the differences ...thanks alot...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 04:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Atkins has a very strict Induction program for 2 weeks, with a strict list of allowable foods. For the first 2 weeks you are limited to 20 carbs after subtracting fiber.

PP starts you off at 30 grams of carbs per day, with a much more flexible choice of foods. There is an introduction period like Induction, but less rigid.

After that, both plans are similar. You start increasing your effective carbs (ECC = actual carbs minus fiber) by 5 grams per week until you reach the point where you don't lose weight anymore. That determines your critical carb level..below it you lose, above it you maintain status quo or gain.

Finding your critical carb level is tricky. After induction/introduction you will have many periods where you don't lose weight, (but may be losing inches) It's hard to figure out if you have reached a critical level, or if you are just in a natural resting point.

On both plans, actually, on pretty well every "diet" or lifetime eating plan, it is natural and normal to get into phases where nothing happens. It's your body adjusting and trying to figure out what's going on and how to react to it.

The science behind both plans is the same. The rules and procedures are what's a little different. Both plans, as well as the other LC plans work.

For more info on plan comparisons. look at the upper right side of your screen for a link called "Which low carb plan is right for me"

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 08:03
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Confused...

I am on PPLP. In the book it tells me no more than 40 carbs per day. Also, I don't remember anything about increasing by 5 until you find your level. It said until you reach your intended goal (weight loss, BP, whatever) to stay on the "introduction" phase of 40 g per day.
Can anyone clarify this? I want to make sure I am doing ok...
~Michelle
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 09:01

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Arrow

There are 2 phases to the PP diet .

Phase 1 can last as long as it takes to reach your goal . This is for people with > 20% BF to loose or for people with high BP , type 2 DM or high cholesterol or any combination of these . It states 30g carbs or less per day .

Phase 2 is for people with < 20% BF and who are not symptomatic . It states 55g carbs per day .

You can remain on phase 1 as long as you like or until you have < 20% BF and gradually increase your carbs to 55g which would slow down your rate of loss .

Rob
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 09:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Summer,
I think (but someone is free to correct me on this) the difference is the difference between the two books Protein Power and Protein Power Life Plan. The PPLP is a more current version of PP.

If my original post is incorrect, someone please feel free to correct me. I don't have my PP book handy (loaned it out). I'm pretty sure in PP you start at 30 gr. I've got that number plastered all over my paper daily food logs from when I started.

In the long run, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference anyway. As you near maintenance you will need to know what your critical carb level is, to stay at or above it. It's my understanding that as long as you are eating under your CCL you will be burning fat. That could be at 20, 30, 50, 60 or even higher carbs depending on your body and your lifestyle.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 22:46
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Cool Thanks

I have a feeling it is the 2 different books too...I will see what others say too. Thanks for the help!
~Michelle

PS- I hit new thread 1st...and it won't let me delete it! OOps!