Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 16:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Grass-fed bef vs. grain-fed beef

Producers Aim for Niche Beef Market
Wed Aug 7, 1:54 AM ET

By AMY LORENTZEN, Associated Press Writer

HARTINGTON, Neb. (AP) - As his cattle grazed nearby on treeless, green pasture, chewing their way slowly toward slaughter weight, Marvin DeBlauw explained what he has against feedlots.

"It stinks at feedlots," DeBlauw said. "It's not good for them. Feeding grass is just healthier."

DeBlauw is part of a niche group in the nation's $59 billion beef market, finishing most of his cattle on grass. He says it's a practice that makes a better alternative to animals raised on corn, nutritional supplements and hormones.

It's not an easy way to go. Producers of grain-fed beef dispute the health claims made by producers who feed only grass to their cattle. It takes longer to get grass-fed animals to market, too, and the meat requires customers who are willing to pay a little more and appreciate the different taste of grass-fed beef.

Even DeBlauw finishes some of his herd on corn because he says the demand for grass-fed beef is still low. But he believes the market will continue to grow as people recognize the benefits of eating and raising grass-fed beef, he said.

Most of the beef in the United States comes from cattle fattened at feedlots, where thousands of animals mill about a fenced-off section of dirt, eating corn and protein supplements dished out in bins.

Such cattle can be slaughtered at a year to 16 months of age, perhaps two to three months earlier than a grass-fed animal. With the cattle industry's slim profit margins ? sometimes only a few dollars on each head ? the shorter production time matters.

Since a heavy corn diet can upset the stomachs of animals designed to eat fresh forage, cattle finished at feedlots usually must be treated with antibiotics.

Cattle interests acknowledge concern that antibiotic overuse can lead to resistance, but say antibiotics are important to keep animals on feedlots healthy.

"Cattle producers take antibiotic resistance very seriously for the same reasons consumers do," said Mike Fitzgerald, a spokesman for the 5,000-member Nebraska Cattlemen. "They want a safe food supply."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture ( news - web sites) tests slaughtered cattle carcasses each year for antibiotic residue. In 2000, inspectors found 21 cases where antibiotic levels exceeded federal guidelines out of 3,571 tests conducted on various classes of healthy-looking cattle. That violation rate, of less than 1 percent, has held steady since 1997.

Modern feedlot operations also make use of hormones to speed cattle growth: the synthetics Ralgro and melengesterol acetate, and natural hormones like estrogen and androgen. The USDA doesn't test for natural hormones, and synthetic hormone residue is permitted as long as it doesn't exceed USDA levels deemed safe. The hormone violation rate is less frequent than the antibiotic rate.

Ranchers who use the hormones don't worry about residue affecting meat safety, said Sallie Atkins, executive director of the Nebraska Beef Council.

"Almost all beef producers raise and feed their products to their families because they know they are wholesome," she said. "It is not a threat to our health."

Some animal research studies ? including several from Europe where consumers are calling for antibiotic and hormone-free beef ? show that an animal's diet affects the type of fatty acid it produces.

Feeding mostly corn to cattle diminishes the meat's omega-3 fatty acids, which is credited with preventing heart and brain ailments, said Terry Gompert, a University of Nebraska-Lincoln Cooperative Extension Educator from Knox County.

It's for that reason that Gompert prefers to eat grass-fed beef.

"I still love my grain-finished beef ... but I'm going to cut off every bit of the fat because it's unhealthy," Gompert said. "With grass-fed, I'm going to eat every bit of the fat because that is where the health and the flavor is at."

Gompert said he expects the grass-fed market can eventually contend with Nebraska's corn-fed beef tradition. Slanker, who sells his beef locally and over the Internet, knows it will be tough. Prices for grass-fed beef are generally 25 to 50 percent higher because of the limited market.

"You take just one large packing plant and they process more cattle in a half-hour than the entire grass-fed industry does in a year," Slanker said. "We are gambling big time by turning our backs on production agriculture ... and hoping to develop our market."

___

On the Net:

University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension: http://extension.unl.edu/

Nebraska Beef Council: http://www.nebeef.org/

U.S. Department of Agriculture: http://www.usda.gov/

U.S. Food and Drug Administration ( news - web sites): http://www.fda.gov/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...us/farm_scene_1
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 17:12

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

As much as I want to buy grass-fed beef, I can't find it in Sacramento. There is a whole foods market called Piccadilly that used to carry it, but they stopped (before I went there to shop) because people would buy it once and not again. They now carry "organic" angus beef that is fattened with corn at the end.

Our Whole Foods Co-op doesn't carry beef, they cater to vegetarians mostly.

I'm still searching.

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 21:31

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

#4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 23:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

grass fed beef does taste very different. My family used to keep a cow for slaughter every year, and I still remember how much gamier they taste. It's not a bad taste, just takes some getting used to. And it's lower in fat than grain-fed, aside from being just plain healthier and happier!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 20:20

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Personally I believe the "grass-fed" beef market is a SCAM. In the same manner the "organic" vegetable and fruit market is a scam, and the complaints against "farm-raised" salmon are false or exaggerated.

The reasons are:

1. The price difference is NOT 50% greater for grass-fed beef over grain-fed beef. Most sources I have found are 100% to 200% greater than the great prime ribeye that I enjoy.

2. The outrageous profit margins in the grass-fed beef market lays the incentive for suppliers to cheat. After the turnover of a few middlemen the feedlot beef is suddenly labeled as grass-fed and the price is doubled or tripled. Profits skyrocket.

3. The claim that omega-3 fatty acids are greater in grass-fed beef may be true but so what? Beef is a negligible source of omega-3 fatty acids in either case. I eat salmon and take cod liver oil daily as my source of omega-3 fatty acid. The omega-3 argument is basically a scam. Most foods do not contain much omega-3 fats.

4. The claim that grass-fed beef has less fat is a negative in my opinion. Natural animal fat including the saturated fat is very healthy. I buy the fattest cuts and cook on low heat so as not to melt or oxidize the fat. Dr. Atkins recommends this method. Lean beef should actually cost less, not more that high fat beef.

5. Antibiotics are NOT allow in any meat in the US by federal regulation. Besides, sick grass-fed beef are given antibiotics just as well as feedlot beef.

6. Estrogen hormones given to male steers in feedlots is a fraction of the natural estrogen found in female cows at slaughter. Grass-fed beef can also be given hormones by suppliers that simply lie about it.

I love the feedlot ribeye steaks. They are very fat, tender, absolutely delicious and reasonably priced. Enjoy the nice fat feedlot beef without guilt and don't support the "grass-fed" beef scam.

Check out my web page at:

Myths, Distortions and Lies About Beef.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Sun, Aug-11-02 at 20:31.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 08:48

BF:

Kent makes some good points that I hadn't thought of before. But my reasons for wanting to eat grass-fed are different.

I think animals are better treated when they are able to graze in pastures. I think that animals eating grass is more "natural" and the way they were meant to eat. Animals eating corn is quite "unnatural". I think that if we are supposed to eat the natural way, the way that humans are supposed to eat, then we should probably be eating animals that eat the natural way too. Animals are corn and grain fed to fatten them in the same way that humans become fat on corn and grain. This was not their natural state during the last 2.5 million years, so humans have not eaten animals in this condition for most of our existence. I think that science may later eventually find that fattening cattle and other animals with corn and grains is very unhealthy for the humans that eat them because there is no way that a fat cow is healthy, just like a fat human isn't healthy.

Although there isn't a high amount of polyunsaturates in beef (it makes up only 4% of the fat in beef), the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is very important. When this ratio is unbalanced in our diet it leads to autoimmune disease, inflammation, pain, thick blood, etc. due to its affect on eicosanoids. Grass-fed beef has a better ratio of omega-3 to omega-6. It's balanced better.

As far as price, of course, the large beef producers fatten their cattle with corn and therefore can sell it more cheaply due to the sheer volume of their sales. The small farms cannot do this. They have to charge a higher price to keep in business. I'm glad that some farms are willing to forgo the larger profits and stay with grass-fed. Grass-fed is not in such high demand that these farms make that much money.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 09:34

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Another reason it's more expensive is that the cattle are not ready for slaughter as early. I found the rancher (Slanker) who was referenced in the article at:

http://texasgrassfedbeef.com/

He said that cattle who are grass-fed take an additional 3 to 4 months to get to the point where they are ready for slaughter. That increases costs even though they are just eating grass. I know. I used to own an art gallery. The longer the art stayed on the wall, the lower my profit margin.

Slanker also said that when he eats grain-fed beef, he trims the fat because of the omega-3/omega-6 ratio. With grass-fed beef, he eats the flavorful fat.

I agree with you, Voyager, about the balance. I am more concerned about too much omega-6 at this time. I also take fish oil capsules and eat fish, so I am getting my omega-3s. But I would buy from Slanker or another online supplier if the shipping weren't so high and I could buy in small lots. I just have the freezer above my fridge. And right now it's full of chicken.

Kent, I appreciate your concerns, but there are benefits of eating organic foods and naturally fed animal products. I have found a lovely organic butter that is made from cattle that are grass fed. It is definitely much better tasting and richer. It is also naturally bright yellow to orange.

;-Deb
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 14:56

BF:

Deb,

I just placed an order with the last link above: Peaceful Pastures. I spoke with the farmer over the weekend. They ship small orders. They have range-fed chickens now. You can choose which cut of meat you want. I order a few filet mignon and a chicken.

http://peacefulpastures.com/order_form.htm#beef
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 17:48
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Talking Some of my Favourite People.

I just love when Kent wades into an issue! Keep up the good work on critical thinking! Your points are always concise and hard hitting. As soon as I see your handle I smile.

And Voyager I am so happy that you have decided to be such an involved contributing member. You do get a few flames thrown at you now and then, and I appreciate how you can handle the heat. This site is richer for having you here.

Thanks to both of you.

Colin
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 18:08

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Colinjn, thank you for the kind remarks. They are much appreciated.

Voyajer, I enjoy your posts greatly, even those where we don't see eye to eye. Maybe its your picture? No, more than that. Keep up the great work.

Kent
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by Voyajer

http://peacefulpastures.com/order_form.htm#beef

Thanks for the information. It took me a while on their site to find a statement that the beef is grass fed. In the FAQ, in the question about organic, they say "we use NO commercial feeds, and we actually feed very little grain".

Let us know how you like the beef!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 20:19

BF:

Quote:
You do get a few flames thrown at you now and then

Colin, thanks for the compliment. I can take the heat. It challenges me.

Kent, I may seem to be attacking your remarks at times, but I don't mean to. It's just that your arguments are very sound, strong and well-thought out. Your method of reasoning almost leaves no room for counter-argument sometimes. So if I feel differently about something, I feel the need to justify my point of view. Thanks for taking it so well.

Heeligan, I guess I took their homepage at face value:
"Our animals are raised under the most humane conditions on pasture in the open air and sunshine...The animals lead relaxed lives in open pasture." So this meant to me grass-fed which these animals are. But not only are they grass-fed, but they are well-treated. Everyone should take note that "organicly fed" animals are not the same as grass-fed. You can feed an animal organic corn and grain.

Last edited by Voyajer : Mon, Aug-12-02 at 20:26.