Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/205/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Newbie to Atkins; Question about bacon

Hey everyone. I just started my induction with Atkins yesterday. I just got the book today, so if I happen to ask a question that could be answered in the book, please forgive me. I'm not that fast a reader!
I tried CAD earlier this year (started in March and finally gave up in June because I wasn't losing). Two acquaintances of mine are doing Atkins so I thought I'd give it a go since the CAD wasn't working for me.
One thing I was confused about with CAD and now with Atkins is bacon. I am not able to find bacon that does not list sugar as an ingredient. Is this bacon still OK to eat, especially with induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 20:34

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

hi Flo Jo,

I hope Atkins suits you better than CAD

Bacon does have sugar in it, as well as nitrates. These are in relatively small amounts, so don't make the mistake of assuming that bacon has zero carbs like other meat.

You can have it on induction, but don't go overboard Too much of it can make you retain water which will show as weight o nthe scales.

A few strips for breakfast each day, even on induction, is definitely allowed

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 20:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/237/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Sugar is part of what makes it taste like-- bacon! Otherwise, it's fatback. If you notice, sugar is listed after salt as an ingredient. All ingredients are listed in descending order by weight. So there are less than 240 mg of sugar (the amount of salt) in the particular piece of bacon I'm looking at. I suppose there might be one or two grams of sugar in a pound of bacon, but not in a serving. I wouldn't get really wound up about the sugar unless you eat the proverbial fivepoundsofbaconaday! Or unless you find yourself so sensitive to sugar you need to avoid ALL sugars.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 20:45
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Thanks, Lesley, for the reply.....and so quickly, too! I hope Atkins is the answer, also.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 20:53
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you, too, pittypat!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

Question for FLO,
Why do you think CAD didn't work for you? I put a week of CAD in the middle of a 6 week LC diet cycle and am always surprised to find I lose at the same rate on CAD as on the more restictive LC diet. One of those things that make you say Mmmmmmmmm
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 17:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default Answer for Shark

I haven't a clue! I really wish I knew, because it really was a great thing having that free hour every day. The only thing I can think of is maybe in that one meal I had too many calories. I always had a dessert with my Reward Meal.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 08:11

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%

Hi FloJo,

I too had tried CAD for 2 months and didn't lose any weight. It was my first try at low carbing and I really didn't have all the knowledge I have now. I agree, I think it was the reward meal that I didn't handle very well. I also had dessert almost everyday so was just consuming the wrong foods. I then tried Protein Power, started losing weight and feeling great immediately and so began my low carb journey. I lost most of my weight to date on PP, then I hit a plateau and just stayed there. I didn't try too hard to lose but had no difficulty maintaining. A couple of weeks ago I decided to start low carbing again seriously and decided to give Atkins a try. I've found it more difficult but am committed. I'm glad you decided not to quit all together after CAD was not successful. You need to find what program is comfortable for you and that you can adopt as a WOL. I wish you great success!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 18:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Janice! I really appreciate the words of encouragement. I did decide I would start the calorie counting again, even though I despise that and haven't done that for many, many years. By that time I was getting desperate......again. That lasted about two weeks with no results. Then I came back to my senses and decided to give this a try. I REALLY hope this works. Thanks again!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 22:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 269/256/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Good luck FloJo,
I too have tried CAD and I lost a bit at first...then bam...it stopped....
The RM just killed me I felt like I had no control...I wanted to eat everything I could get my hands on within that hour!

So now I'm in my 9th day of Atkins' and I've lost 12lbs! So far so good. I feel like screaming it from the roof tops.....lol

Good eating to you!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 07:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default Posting Results

I am absolutely blown away by the results so far!! Weighed myself last night and I was another 3 pounds lighter! I already weigh less after four days of Atkins than I did the entire 4 months of CAD! That just goes to show you I guess........different strokes for different folks. CAD works for some and not others. I am so glad I decided to try Atkins. I hope the weight loss doesn't stop until I'm at my goal weight.
I was wondering if you all have a thread to post results with each other? I know about the journals but thought maybe there might be a specific thread for sharing results.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 20:46

Stats: 223/222/170
BF:
Progress: 2%

A real good tool to help with Atkins is Fitday.com. It calculates your food ratios and calories.. so you know each day that you are eating the right ratios of fat to carbs to protein.. and you can make sure your intake is where it should be. it only takes a minute
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 11:35
Registered Member

Stats: 195/165/155 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I bought bacon that says 'no sugar added' and it certainly tastes like bacon to me. I've been consuming up to 7 strips a day, scattered through the day although some days none at all.

Its stuff like this that bugs me. I figured a serving (3 strips) probably has 1-2 carbs, even if none are listed, but I wonder about the creep-in here and there. Perhaps I'm trying to be too rigid.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:45

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%

Good for you FloJo, keep up the good work!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 14:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/237/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Relax, Chrish, you're being too hard on yourself! If the serving size listed is three strips of bacon, and it's listed as 0 carbs, there can't be more than 1/2 a carb, or they round up. Labels are better than they used to be about putting in a realistic serving size. That's where they could get sneaky. Another good way to figure if they're being "honest" on the label is to take the number of fat grams times 9, the protein and carb grams times 4, add the results together, and compare the answer to the calories listed. The answers should be pretty darn close, or they're fudging somewhere. Then call their 800- number to find out what's going on!

All in all, you figure out pretty fast what you can and cannot eat, and how much.