Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi all!

Just wondering how those of you who use fitday to track your food breakdowns, input your coffee. I drink about two mugs of coffee each day and I use a generic brand whitener, similar to coffee mate, about one and a half teaspoons per cup. I use no sugar or sweetener.

Anyway, when I try to call up coffee on fitday, it gives me about a million and a half options, but the closest thing to whitener it comes up with is, "coffee pre-lightened, not sweetened". Do you suppose that "pre-lightened" is the whitener or milk or whatever? Just wondering because the carb count seems pretty high, like half of my daily carbs came from the three cups (today i had one extra in the evening) that I drank, 3 cups, 4 carbs a cup...seem right to you? perhaps I need to start drinking it black, blech...

Thanks,

Mari

PS, i was counting my coffee as an 8 oz serving, not 6, which is about right for what my mugs hold
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 22:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default fitday

hi Mari,

I made up a Custom entry for my coffee and cream combo. I use a 10 oz mug, and measure exactly 1/2 Tbsp (7 ml) 18% cream. I use no sweetener. I figured out the carbs for 10 oz of just plain coffee separately, then worked out for the cream, added the two together, then entered the combined values as a custom food. Do it once, it saves it for you, so you just click on your Custom list whenever you have that again. I do this for my lowcarb recipes too.

It would be nice if you could use real cream, it's so much lower in carbs, but I realize you're kinda up there in never-never land! Might be hard to get.

And yes, the carbs in coffee add up (0.12 carbs per fl oz --- not a big deal if you only have one sip, but two or three mugfulls can indeed rack up 4 or 5 carbs) But not 4 carbs per cup?? that sounds a bit high. Coffeemate is made with corn syrup solids, so ya, it adds up too. Here's the data, for one level tsp (5 ml) 10 calories, 1 gm carb, 0.6 gm fat, 0 protein. The "light" coffeemate is 2 carbs per level tsp. (less fat, more corn syrup)

hope this helps,

Doreen

Added Note

Mari, I checked the counts for Carnation evaporated milk, full fat (not the 2%) ... for a whole Tbsp (15 ml) it counts 1.58 gm carbs, 1.19 gm fat and 1 gm protein. Since you're using 1-1/2 tsp coffeemate, why not substitute 1-1/2 tsp of the carnation?? That's equivalent to 1/2 Tbsp, so the carb count would drop to 0.79 per serving. And it's a bit higher in fat, so would make your coffee nice and creamy. Plus, the cans keep forever on your shelf. Anyway, just a suggestion, real cream still is best..