Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-14, 21:47

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default Stressed normal weight men show high ketone reactivity

I thought this was pretty interesting for several reasons. First, it seems that in normal weight men there is a very large rise in ketone production in response to a stressful situation. No such reaction in obese men. Interesting that in some circumstances the body produces ketones to handle stress. I didn't know that.

Also, it does make me wonder if some obese people might have a harder time producing ketones in response to other conditions, like carb and calorie restriction. I know some people complain about how hard it is for them to turn those ketone test strips purple. Anyone know of studies showing different capabilities to produce ketones in different people? Could this be the reason some folks lose weight so readily with low carb and others can't lose nearly as well despite going very low carb?

Quote:
Rise of ketone bodies with psychosocial stress in normal weight men.
Kubera B1, Hubold C1, Wischnath H1, Zug S1, Peters A2.
Author information

Abstract:

BACKGROUND:

Ketone bodies are known as alternative cerebral energy substrates to glucose. During psychosocial stress, the brain of a normal weight subject demands for extra glucose from the body to satisfy its increased needs. In contrast, the brain of an obese subject organizes its need, supply and demand in a low-reactive manner. The present study aimed at investigating (i) whether psychosocial stress increases ketone body concentrations and (ii) whether ketone reactivity to a psychosocial challenge differs between normal weight and obese people.

METHODS:

Ten normal weight and ten obese men participated in two sessions (stress induced by the Trier Social Stress Test and a non-stress control session). Blood samples were frequently taken to assess serum β-hydroxybutyrate concentrations and stress hormone profiles.

RESULTS:

Our main finding was that social stress markedly increased concentrations of serum β-hydroxybutyrate by 454% in normal weight men. The increase in ketone bodies during stress in normal weight subjects was associated with an increase in ACTH, norepinephrine and epinephrine concentrations. Interestingly, we could not detect any increase in serum β-hydroxybutyrate concentrations during stress in obese men.

CONCLUSION:

Normal weight men showed high ketone reactivity to a psychosocial challenge.

Copyright © 2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-14, 21:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I can get pretty good blood ketones, but not urine ones. But it is the blood ones that are the best kind.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-14, 22:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Don't have the full paper, here's the pubmed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24845175

The most interesting is the 454% increase in BHB. If we assume that max blood ketone level is around 8 mmol at baseline, and if we assume that this would rise some degree on demand, and if we assume this rise should track with the BG rise on demand (about 50% for BG during exercise based on Steve Cooksey's experiment), then we can conclude BHB was most likely very low to begin with, probably between 0.5 and 1.5 mmol at baseline.

Since there was no BHB increase in the obese, but BHB was still very low in the lean, this means both lean and obese ketogenesis was significantly inhibited most likely by insulin, and the ability to recover quickly from this was intact in the lean but not in the obese.

If there is an association between stress-related behavior and lean/obesity, then it's likely due in part to the ability or inability to provide enough ketones to the brain during stress.

Taubes explained there's a whole bunch of hormones opposite insulin, so looking only at norepinephrine/epinephrine won't tell us the whole story. I bet if they looked at insulin, it's gonna be much higher in the obese. Actually I bet if they looked at all those hormones, they'd find a global imbalance between insulin and all other hormones. Wait a minute, has anybody ever done something like that? I can't believe I didn't think of that before.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-14, 00:03

BF:

Another paper (don't have full paper either, sorry): http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.or.../8/738.abstract
Quote:
Epinephrine administration resulted in hyperglycemie, hyperlactatemia, and a modest increase in plasma insulin and glucagon concentrations.

This paper gives us a plausible reason why it doesn't work properly in the obese. This next paper explains it a bit more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC371414/

My take is that epinephrine shuts down insulin receptors at the liver, resulting in an increase in plasma insulin due to lower insulin clearance rate at the liver (which obviously surpasses the concomitant reduction of insulin secretion by the pancreas), and an increase in ketogenesis and glucogenesis in the liver, but somehow doesn't explain the increase in FFA and glycerol which should indicate lower plasma insulin, so it's more likely that epinephrine also acts directly on fat tissue either by shutting down insulin receptors there too or just having a strong enough effect to overwhelm the effect of insulin (probably through lipoprotein lipase or something).

If it doesn't work properly in the obese, then it's likely that insulin is just too high already, and shutting down insulin receptors in the liver and fat tissue to attempt to increase ketogenesis only bumps insulin even higher. If I use my paradigm, it could be due to too low blood ketones, which the liver interprets as a signal to shut down insulin receptors in an attempt to produce more ketones. But that's not the primary cause, there must be a third factor for insulin resistance and in turn for hyperinsulinemia. It's not obesity, since obesity is the result of hyperinsulinemia. It could be hyperglycemia, but the liver would open up insulin receptors in that situation to take glucose out of the blood and convert it to glycogen. But in doing so, ketogenesis would drop as well, and the liver would then try to shut down insulin receptors later on to produce more ketones. So, the likely primary cause is something that first shuts down ketogenesis, but I can't figure out what comes next. I wonder if fatty liver and fructose has something to do with it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-14, 00:19

BF:

Got an idea. Fatty liver would promote the liver to shut down insulin receptors in order to use the excess fat for ketogenesis. Until the liver is done with that, it keeps insulin receptors shut. In doing so, it keeps plasma insulin higher than otherwise. Low-carb but most especially low-fructose should hasten the process. So, we have a tentative explanation why it works properly in lean men but not in obese men: A difference in fructose intake and/or fatty liver.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-14, 01:23

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Shoot. Forgot the link. Here it is.

Link
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-14, 04:46

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Part of the rise in ketones can probably be ascribed to the rise in free fatty acids with adrenaline etc.'s increase of lipolysis--and as CarbSane has been happy to point out, free fatty acids are generally raised in obesity--with baseline free fatty acids higher than usual, even if free fatty acids go up in stress, they're going from high to higher rather than from low to high, so maybe that's part of the effect.

Some trolls like to use this to criticize low carb--saying the common idea that insulin locks fat into fat cells, causing metabolic starvation is wrong. But it's just an oversimplification, I think. Pennington's "balloon" thesis basically stated not that fat tissue had to grow enough to support normal levels of free fatty acids, but that it had to grow enough to support a level of free fatty acids that allowed a "normal" metabolism. If I remember correctly. If it didn't, then it should have. Higher free fatty acids are blamed on excess fat tissue--what if it's the other way around--something I find likely? High fat storage being necessary to support a higher than usual level of free fatty acids?