Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-14, 04:29

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default ABSI Calculator: What is the Obesity Test More Effective than BMI?

Quote:
From The International Business Times
25 February, 2014

ABSI Calculator: What is the Obesity Test More Effective than BMI?

A person's body shape index is a better predictor of mortality than the traditional body mass index test, researchers have said.

According to research published in the online jounal PLoS ONE, a person's ABSI is better at predicting a person's risk of dying than their BMI, the current method used to quantify the risks associated with obesity.

Explaining what ABSI is, researchers at the City College of New York said last year: "Unlike BMI, the calculation of ABSI includes waist circumference; another measurement used to estimate body fat. The additional variable helps account for the increased hazard faced by people who carry most of their fat around the middle – those with the so-called 'apple' body shape."

Current criticism of the BMI system of establishing obesity risk is that it does not distinguish between muscle and fat mass, so cannot tell if you have too much fat. The researchers showed that as ABSI increases, so too does the mortality risk from obesity.

ABSI supported

A follow-up study from the research last year analysed data for over 7,000 adults in Great Britain. They compared mortality with ABSI and other variables, including BMI, waist-hip ratio, waist-height ratio and waist circumference.

ABSI was found to be a strong indicator of mortality, with deaths increasing by a factor of 1.13 for each increament in ABSI. People in the top 20% had a 61% higher risk of death than those in the bottom 20%.

What does it mean?

Calculate your ABSI here

After putting in your measurements, the ABSI calculator gives a low score. Researchers explain: "A relative risk greater than one indicates greater than average death rate while numbers below one indicate a lower than average rate.

"For example, 1.2 indicates a 20% greater risk than average while 0.8 indicates a 20% lower risk."

On the potential uses of ABSI, one of its developers Professor Nir Krakauer said: "[For those with the highest scores] you could treat them more aggressively. You could reduce waist circumference and ABSI and you might be able to reduce their risk."
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/absi-calcu...ive-bmi-1437846
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-14, 09:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Complicated that, but good to know "I'll live".
Last year you posted a much larger study supporting the weight to height ratio. Any country doctor can do that one with pencil and paper.

Forget BMI, just measure your waist and height' say scientists

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...scientists.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-26-14 at 16:53.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-14, 10:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I got a point seven for relative risk. Point six is as low as it can go.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-14, 15:36

Plan: low carb/grain-free
Stats: 155/118/118 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

it is surprisingly difficult to get an accurate waist measurement I found. It is not your narrowest point, it is right at the top of the hipbones, which is wider (at least on me).

I'm above the recommended waist circ., yet still scored a .9. Go figure.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-14, 16:01
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I'm just under 400lbs and scored 0.7 - I have the waist of a much slimmer person.

My BMI score is 2 - I would have thought that would have been much higher too - nearer the top of the range.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-14, 04:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

From a practicing doctor in the US, support for using the waist to height ratio and a recent study why reducing obesity in older women matters.

Quote:
My office practice is old-fashioned, no nurse helping me, so I personally handle any measurements that need to be made. Rather than weigh people, I measure their waist and compare it to their height. If your waist is at or under half your height, you are at a healthy place. (Two measurements I find useLESS include BMI – which penalizes you just as much for muscle as it does for fat – and the oft-stated goal of less than 35” for a woman’s waist. Really? Regardless of height?!)

“Well, now that I’m alive and fairly well at 65, I don’t need to worry about these love handles, do I? Fearing a few extra pounds should be reserved for the vanity of youth!” As Ellen watched me measure her waist, I admired her cheerfulness, but had to question her conclusion. What do you think, is she wise or in denial?

Actually, we haven’t been clear about our answer before now. It turns out there are two distinct “misunderstandings” at work in Ellen’s wishful . First, it turns out that there are indeed serious health consequences of older women carrying extra weight, something which hasn’t been actually studied before now. Secondly, we as a society have become a little “numb” to the sight of overweight, and perhaps have allowed overweight to be the new normal! I am all for the acceptance and self-acceptance of people at any weight, for themselves personally, but not their excess poundage. The average American is 23 pounds overweight and not sufficiently motivated to do anything about that! So what about the Baby Boomers who have come to accept their extra pounds as normal or somehow acceptable?

A recently released study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (and summarized in the NY Times here) investigated various degrees of adverse consequences correlated with excess weight as women aged to 85. Not surprisingly, the investigators found that both underweight and overweight women are at increased risk for premature death. But the study also looked at disease incidence and in this case found the risk increased among all categories of overweight and obese women. What was most striking to me was the investigation of loss of mobility, where even the women termed “overweight”, not yet obese, suffered from 60% more mobility problems than normal weight women. Again not surprisingly, those rates skyrocketed to over 600% for the obese and markedly obese. The good news and the takeaway: many women aged to 85 in good health and with good mobility, so you, too, can maintain your mobility and age gracefully. This study suggests that normalizing weight might be a crucial component to your plan. Follow sensible guidelines* for re-sculpting those love handles into muscle and find an exercise, ideally with a buddy or a coach!, that you love doing.

http://www.drdeborahmd.com/aging-grace

Link to the NYT article and JAMA study: http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/...and-older-women

*Link to her guidelines, taken from Westman diet in Taubes book:
http://drdeborahmd.com/weight-loss-eating-plan

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Mar-01-14 at 04:36.