Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-13, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Upcoming Obesity Drugs

The Best Obesity Drugs Yet To Come

Quote:
Obese patients have seen more choices for treatments over the past year, as new obesity drugs from VIVUS (NASDAQ: VVUS ) and Arena Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ARNA ) have launched. A third drug, Orexigen's (NASDAQ: OREX ) Contrave, looks as if it could be on the market by the middle of next year after a safety study ruled out excessive cardiovascular risk.

The best obesity drug, though, may still be in the pipeline.

Quick weight loss

Privately held Zafgen released phase 2 data this month showing that its obesity drug beloranib was capable of helping patients lose 24 pounds or about 10.8% of their body weight after just 12 weeks on the highest dose of the drug.

By comparison VIVUS', Arena's, and Orexigen's drugs helped patients lose 5.8% to 9.8% of their body weight over one year. Novo Nordisk's (NYSE: NVO ) Victoza, which is a diabetes drug that also helps patients lose weight, produced similar results.

The placebo-adjusted numbers are even more striking, since over 12 weeks, patients who received placebo in Zafgen's study lost less than 0.4% of their body weight, while over a year, patients in an obesity study typically lose 1% to 3% of their body weight while getting the dummy pill.

Best drug?
The difference between 10.8% for beloranib and 9.8% for VIVUS' Qsymia isn't all that much. The big question is whether patients taking beloranib will continue to lose weight beyond the initial 12 weeks. Zafgen is planning to start a phase 2b trial in the first half of next year. Hopefully it will test patients for longer than three months.

The other major issue is that beloranib is injected, while Qsymia, Arena's Belviq, and Contrave are all taken orally. Like Novo Nordisk's Victoza, which is also injected and will probably be primarily used in patients who need a diabetes drug anyway, the market for beloranib may be limited. Side effects, including nausea and insomnia, will also play a role in exactly who gets beloranib.

If belornaib is prescribed only for the most severely obese patients, there should be plenty of potential market for VIVUS, Arena, and Orexigen.

Time to prepare
After the phase 2b trial, Zafgen is still going to have to run a couple of phase 3 trials and the FDA may want to see year-long data for safety reasons, so patients will have to wait years for beloranib to be available commercially.

Fortunately, that gives the current obesity-drug makers a few years to get their act together; they've gotten off to a slow start so far. VIVUS' obesity drug Qsymia hasn't exactly been flying off the shelves, and Arena Pharmaceuticals' marketing partner Eisai hasn't done much better with their obesity drug Belviq. Orexigen and its marketing partner Takeda get a free pass for Orexigen, but that's only because Contrave isn't on the market yet.

I continue to think there's a potential market for obesity drugs, but the drugmakers are going to have to convince doctors that the benefits justify the side effects and secure insurance coverage so patients can afford to take them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-13, 10:48

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

No thank you.

If it can be done with diet and exercise, that's the way to go.

Drugs have their unwanted side effects, surgery does too. If you eat too much of the wrong kind of foods, sit on your posterior all day then come home and watch TV, the drugs aren't going to cure your problem, just mask the symptoms and bring along some baggage you might not want.

That's my opinion, anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-13, 23:52

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The older I get, the more I despise the privatized pharmaceutical industry. :\ Anything to profit, anything for a profit. Betcha it won't work as advertised without causing something else which requires drug therapy down the road as, in the long run, the industry needs (not wants, needs) repeat customers to thrive.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-13, 06:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch
The older I get, the more I despise the privatized pharmaceutical industry.

I agree. I think it has devolved into another capitalist cash cow. While we can debate its utility in gadgets and fashion, it's evil when it's done in health care.

I know people who take fistfuls of pills, every day, and could eliminate all of them if they only ate right. But there's another devolved industry, processed food, who is herding them towards the pills.

It's not paranoia if they are really after you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-13, 08:34

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

And our own FDA, which is supposed to be a watchdog for our health has turned into nothing but a support group for big pharma, big medicine in general and big agriculture. This is Capitalism's dark side.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-13, 11:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I'm a bit on the fence. Right now, I don't take anything if I can help it (synthroid and vitamin D are my morning cocktail).

Having said that, if there were an effective medication for the root causes of obesity, I'd be interested. Most people are in agreement that it's not a condition of energy balance, and that energy balance can only do so much to alleviate it. Yes, eating right is very helpful, but if you could attack the blood chemistry and hormonal issues effectively and safely, I can't say that I would be opposed.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-13, 12:24

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Having said that, if there were an effective medication for the root causes of obesity, I'd be interested.
That, I think, is the fundamental reason even beyond capitalist medical profiteers, for our sad drug and food situation. It's the belief of the consumer that medication is good.

As opposed to, the idea that drugs are to be avoided, and to let the body keep making healthy new growth as it wants to do - if only we could figure out what exactly we are to do, or to not do, to let the body do that. And it gets complicated by our environment which can be so harsh.

I know that we fell in love with drugs because of the golden age of bacterial infection cures and effective vaccines and simple deficiency diseases. But for me, the simple case is where it stops, when it comes to taking drugs. Metabolism is super complex. Metabolic drugs like statins where you have to treat 350 people to fix 1, and that have uncounted side effects, and that are barely effective, or not such a simple thing as "kill that bacteria" - no, no, no.

Last edited by Seejay : Tue, Dec-03-13 at 12:38.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-13, 19:41

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm in favor of drugs. Here's one I look forward to: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=435270

Active trial: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01262664

Note the lack of side effects. Rather, most side effects are positive. Also, it doesn't work on the lean, so there's little incentive for abuse.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-13, 06:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

You can also have your fat sucked our with lipo... but this does not address the underlying metabolism problems.

As always, they come up with drugs which choke off the symptoms without fixing the underlying issue.