Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-13, 17:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Why carb flu?

This is WAY over my head, but I think they're saying that you lose the ability to run off fat and lose mitochrondria from hyperglycemia.
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....-play-with.html

It sounds like this is the basis for feeling hypoglycemia at normal glucose levels like so many do.
Quote:
Dumping your mitochondria seems to be fine so long as you have continuous access to hyperglycaemic levels of glucose and can run on glycolysis. OK, I'll rephrase that: Dumping your mitochondria is an utter total complete disaster which is survivable, at a cost, so long as glucose is available in excess. Hyperglycaemia makes you hyperglycaemia dependent. If you really are running your nerve cells (and the rest of your body) on hyperglycaemia facilitated glycolysis then there appear to be a few follow on speculations available:

Quote:
You get hungry if you lose your hyperglycaemia. I can remember being desperately hungry, in pre LC days, and being disappointed to see a blood glucose of 4.7mmol/l on the hand held glucometer at work. Hardly a low enough level to explain the driving hunger which I used to feel so commonly in those days...

Acute normalisation of glucose levels is going to make you feel utterly CRAP. This takes me back to the concept of "Atkins Flu" and J Stanton's musing as to its origin. The Crabtree effect is whole body, not limited to neurons. A dependence on hyperglycaemic glycolysis makes sudden onset normoglycaemia quite a shock. It's correctable, more rapidly in some people than others.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-13, 18:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Sort of helps explain intermittent fasting, too--every other day, the body is forced to remember how to run off of fat. Doesn't always help weight-loss, but often good for metabolic flexibility.

The absolute blood glucose number needs to be left out of the discussion of appetite and hypoglycemia. What matters is whether cells are well-nourished--this can fail at a blood sugar of 60. Or it could fail at a blood sugar of a hundred. The number doesn't say anything about how much glucose is actually travelling through the blood and being taken up by individual cells.