Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 07:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Dr Briffa: Magnesium for migraine?

Quote:
From Dr Briffa's blog
7 June, 2012

Magnesium for migraine?

Migraine headaches are generally severe and typically affect one side of the head, and may be preceded by neurological symptoms including visual disturbance. In some people, they can be common and extremely debilitating. The good news is that certain naturally-oriented strategies can be very effective in reducing the frequency and/or severity of attacks.

One of my standard approaches here will be to consider whether there are any food triggers. The classical triggers I learned at medical school include cheese, chocolate, coffee and red wine. Actually, in practice I find perhaps the most common food trigger of migraines and headaches in general is wheat. Actually, I had a conversation today with someone with coeliac disease (gluten sensitivity) whose predominant symptom (on eating gluten) is headache.

One other natural strategy I use in practice is magnesium. Studies show that, generally speaking, magnesium deficiency is more common in migraine sufferers than non-sufferers. There’s also several ways in which magnesium deficiency may predispose to attacks. For example, magnesium deficiency can make constriction in blood vessels more like (magnesium normalises the function of the ‘smooth’ muscle that lines blood vessels). It is thought that constriction and then dilation of blood vessels around the brain can be at the root of some migraine headaches. By reducing the risk of changes in the blood vessels, magnesium might help with migraines too.

Recently, the Journal of Neural Transmission (to be honest, I’m not a regular reader) published a piece from a couple of doctors with a special interest in headache who make a case for magnesium therapy for all individuals with migraine [1]. They point to the links between magnesium deficiency and migraine, and list a number of risk factors for deficiency which include poor intake and/or poor absorption, excessive excretion by the kidneys and stress (increasing depletion). They also point to a mixed bag of evidence in which magnesium has been given to migraine sufferers.

If the evidence is mixed, why give it to everyone? The authors reasons that one reason for why some studies are positive and some less so may have something to do with the fact that in some studies, magnesium was given to people who were not magnesium deficient and were therefore unlikely to benefit from it. Then why not test? As the authors point out, conventional testing for magnesium in the blood is not particularly accurate. Only a very small amount of magnesium in the body is found in the serum (watery component of the blood). Most is found within the cells and within cells. For this reason, serum levels are not a very good guide to overall magnesium status in the body.

This leads the authors to conclude that a reasonable approach is to treat all migraine sufferers with magnesium, particularly seeing that this mineral is cheap, safe and readily available. It’s an approach that I, largely, endorse. I do think, though, that such an approach is best taken with the support of a health professional.

As to what to take, I tend to use magnesium citrate in practice, and usually aim for a dose of about 300-400 mg of magnesium each day (this equates to about 1750-2350 mg of magnesium citrate each day).

References:

1. Maukop A, et al. Why all migraine patients should be treated with magnesium. J Neural Transm 2012 May;119(5):575-9

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/06/07/...m-for-migraine/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 11:15

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I used to get migraines on a regular basis.
By regular I mean 1:00 pm on monday and lasted until Thursday morning.
Every freeking week for years.

I finally found help in the form of vegetable juice. V8 and the like.
It's a huge source of potassium and magnesium, the best available.

you body cannot store Potassium, so you need a constant source.
also Potassium and Magnesium work together in your nervous system. If one is low, the other can't help

I also cut out beer, that helped a lot. (do you see where this is heading?)
See I would have 1 beer on friday nights, MAYBE 2, and then get my migraine on Monday.
after I cut beer I got fewer and more sporadic migraines.
When I added v8, they got fewer still.

I've been low carb for about a year, getting better at it as I get used to it.
Guess what?
no more migraines!

My understanding is that carbs require a lot of minerals and vitamins to process, whereas veggies and meat add too your stores of them.
So the V8 supplement is not required anymore!

But if I do have a carby moment, I do feel that twinge of headache, just the tightness, not a real headache.

(I still drink V8 though, I like it)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 11:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Many people report their migraines disappearing when they go gluten free.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 18:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Definitely agree with going gluten free helping, but will also point out my post here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...58&postcount=39
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 19:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

It's simple enough in the U.S. to do a test for intracellular mineral status, where K and Mg are concentrated. It's just a swab on the inside of one's cheek, then send the swab to the lab. The hardest part is persuading one's doctor to do the test. Doesn't the UK have something similar?

Ever since the evidence mounted that supplemental calcium was bad for the body, I'm looking askance at all mineral supplementation.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 23:51

Plan: SemiVegetarian Lower Carb
Stats: 335/323/150 Female 67 inches
BF:73%/73%/30%
Progress: 6%

I had a friend tell me for years to try magnesium for my migraines. After suffering most of my life with super bad head aches that last for days, I asked my dr about it. He agreed that in some cases magnesium can help, especially with people on certain medications that depletes their magnesium and potassium. So I gave it a try. I take a daily supplement and when a huge migraine comes on I drink the liquid form. It cleared up about 3/4 of my migraines! I used to suffer about 20 or more days out of the month, but now I only have issues for 5 or 6. So it is worth a try. BUT be warned the liquid version is a laxative!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-12, 08:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you want to get rid of the last 5-6 migraines a month, you should consider going gluten free.

Wow... 20 migraines a month? That's horrid. Even 5-6 sounds awful.