Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-11, 17:34
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Chicken Cacciatore

I haven't made this in a very long time. It used to be one of my very favorite pasta dishes. I learned how to make this when I was in college, working in a little cozy Italian restaurant, the Rome Inn, in Austin, TX. Don't think the Rome Inn is still there, however. I no longer server this on real spaghetti. But I do cook up a little Dreamfields pasta for my husband and just eat my serving of chicken with lots of the sauce on top. The red wine really makes this dish, but you will have to leave the red wine out if still on Induction.

This is one of the dishes I made him before we got married! He tells me me often it and my shrimp curry cinched the proposal. As I prepared it this week, it dawned on me I have not yet included this long-time favorite on my website. So here ya go! This one only take about an hour from start to finish to get on the table, so that’s always nice. This recipe is not suitable for Induction unless you leave out the red wine. But it just won’t be classic cacciatore without it, in my opinion.

INGREDIENTS:

1 chicken breast, (mine weighed 7 oz) deboned, cut into 3 slices
1 large chicken thigh
1 large drumstick
2 T. olive oil
4 oz. sliced onion
1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
1 can sliced mushrooms (or 4 fresh mushrooms sliced)
1 clove minced garlic
3/4 c. chicken broth, low sodium
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) diced or crushed tomatoes
¼ c. red wine

DIRECTIONS: Cut up the breast into 3 pieces, the thigh into two. Heat 1 T. of the oil in a non-stick skillet and brown all the pieces well on all sides. Remove the chicken temporarily to a platter. Add remaining oil and saute onion and bell pepper a few minutes. Add all remaining ingredients to skillet, stir and replace chicken pieces into the skillet. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until the largest chicken pieces are fully done. If it isn’t cooked down enough to be fairly thick on its own (tomatoes will vary in water content), I would thicken it a bit with a light sprinkle of your favorite thickener and simmer, stirring for a few more minutes before serving. This is traditionally served on spaghetti, but I usually just serve it by itself or with sauteed eggplant as shown above. My husband, not fully low-carbing, eats a piece of crusty Italian bread with his.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings each containing:

274 calories
13.23 g fat
8.83 g carbs, 2.33 g fiber, 6.5 g NET CARBS
26 g protein
741 mg sodium
346 mg potassium
29.5% RDA phosphorous, 35% Vitamin B6, 46% C, 26% iron, 10% magnesium, 67% niacin, 14% riboflavin, 39% selenium, 10% thiamin, 20% zinc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 13:56

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

This looks beautiful and I am definitely going to make it.

About the eggplant....how do you saute it? I've done it before...but it just soaks up so much OO. Curious to know your method.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-11, 06:39
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I use a good non-stick skillet and just barely put any olive oil in it. It soaks it up immediately, but I just lower the heat and let it slightly brown on side one. I add 1T. more when I flip it over and do the same. Always seems like it won't cook right in that little amount of oil, but it invariably does.

Hope you like this! We sure do.