Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 06:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Very low carb diets found to be good for the brain

The latest blog post from Dr Briffa:

Quote:
Very low carb diets found to be good for the brain

December 8, 2010

I am a fan of low-carbohydrate eating, and my position is based on the science (showing it to be usually effective for weight loss and improvements in disease markers) and my experience with it in practice. However, not everyone shares my enthusiasm for this way of eating. Many people like to paint carbohydrate restriction as somehow dangerous. In quite-extreme carbohydrate restriction the body will generally turn to ketones (created from the metabolism of fat and/or protein) as a fuel source. This results is a state known as ‘ketosis’. I don’t generally recommend extreme carb restriction, but I don’t fear ketosis either. I see it as a natural response of the body to carbohydrate restriction.

All too often, I think ketosis is confused with ‘ketoacidosis’, which is a whole other story. Ketoacididosis occurs when there are severe metabolic disturbances such as when blood sugar levels run out of control in type 1 diabetics. It’s a serious situation, and potentially life-threatening but, as I say, is not the same as ‘ketosis’.

Ketones provide fuel for the body and brain, but some have questioned how well they do this compared to other fuel sources (such as glucose). I was therefore interested to read about a recent study in which a very low carbohydrate ‘ketogenic’ diet was tested in individuals with ‘mild cognitive impairment’ (reduced brain function associated with ageing but not severe enough to be classified as dementia) [1]. Half of the group in this study were randomised to eat the ketogenic diet, the other half ate a diet rich in carbohydrate. The study lasted 6 weeks.

The researchers found that those eating the ketogenic diet, compared to the other group, saw significant improvement in their ‘verbal memory’ (memory of words and other abstractions involving language). Also, generally speaking, the higher their ketone levels, the better their verbal memory tended to be. The suggestion here is that ketones provide ready fuel for the brain, and may enhance ‘cognitive function’.

Aside from memory improvement, those in the ketogenic diet also saw significant benefits in terms of weight loss and waist circumference reduction, as well as reductions in fasting blood glucose and insulin levels. Taken as a whole, these results suggest that carbohydrate restriction sufficient to induce ketosis offers, in the short term at least, significant advantages for both body and brain.

References:

1. Krikorian R, et al. Dietary ketosis enhances memory in mild cognitive impairment. Neurobiol Aging 2 December 2010 [epub ahead of print]

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/12/08/...-for-the-brain/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 07:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Awesome!

And ties right in with Alzheimer's developing a reputation as "diabetes of the brain."
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 07:32

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

There seem to be a lot of potential "side benefits" to LC diets beyond weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 08:32

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I know my memory is way better when I'm low carbing!!
My depression disappears too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-10, 10:09

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
There seem to be a lot of potential "side benefits" to LC diets beyond weight loss.

Yes, there are many benefits. In fact, I like to think of weight loss as a "side benefit". I think lower glucose levels, less insulin, improved cardiovascular health,and a much reduced risk of dying of one of the diseases of civilization are the main benefits.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-10, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

#7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-10, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

If you like the work of that researcher, R Krikorian, you might appreciate this (for that once-in-a-while carb splurge):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047325i

Taste is purely subjective, but I love that stuff - and it's as expensive as a bottle of wine!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20028599

Similar benefits. Both are unadulterated, so no cheap stuff!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-10, 16:57

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17284577

it would seem higher concentrations of blood ketones increase angiogenesis in the brain,

As further anecdotal evidence, I tend to get drunk much faster when in deep ketosis aswell as getting more hyper from smaller doses of caffeine.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-10, 14:04

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindke
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17284577

it would seem higher concentrations of blood ketones increase angiogenesis in the brain,

As further anecdotal evidence, I tend to get drunk much faster when in deep ketosis aswell as getting more hyper from smaller doses of caffeine.

So economics are also part of the low carb equation. Getting drunk on just half a bottle and getting high on just one cup. Sounds like selling points to me. But I'm Dutch.....

On the serious side : ketones stimulate glutathione production; a powerfull detoxifier of the liver.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-10, 14:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy
ketones stimulate glutathione production; a powerfull detoxifier of the liver.

I did not know that. This is a very interesting side-effect. Thanks Dutchboy.