Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 11:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Lower-carb diet found to be better than a lower-fat one in pregnancy

Quote:
From Dr Briffa's blog:

Lower-carb diet found to be better than a lower-fat one in pregnancy

Posted on 22 October 2010

Pregnancy is a time when many women become a bit more focused on what they are eating. I recently had a conversation with a newly-pregnant women who was also a type 1 diabetic (a condition in which natural production of insulin is inadequate, necessitating the injection of insulin). She has found her way to a doctor who had advised her to eat a low carbohydrate diet which had been very successful in terms of controlling her condition and in reducing her need for insulin. Now she was pregnant, one of her questions was if it was safe to eat such a diet.

I, at the time, was not aware of any specific science on this. I did, however, point out that a low-carbohydrate diet was, essentially, no different from the sort of diet we as a species ate for the vast majority of our time on this planet. Plus, we do know of indigenous populations who eat relatively low amounts of carbohydrate who do not appear to have specific issues with regard to pregnancy or the subsequent health of their newborn.

This week saw the publication of a study in which a low-carbohydrate diet was tested in overweight or obese pregnant women [1]. Half of the group were randomised to eat a ‘low glycaemic load’ diet (45 percent of calories in this diet came from carbohydrate, with 35 and 20 per cent coming from fat and protein respectively). The other half was assigned to a ‘low fat diet’ (55 percent of calories in this diet came from carbohydrate, with 25 and 20 per cent coming from fat and protein respectively).

The chief outcome measured in this study was birth weight, and there was no difference here. However, the women who ate the lower carb diet had babies with larger head circumferences and had longer pregnancies too (both generally taken to be good things). Risk of pregnancy lasting less than 38 weeks was much lower in this group too.

In addition to this, the women eating the lower carb diet experienced, compared to the low-fat group, improvements in several markers of disease including levels of unhealthy blood fats known as triglycerides and an inflammatory substance known as C reactive protein. These changes would be expected to translate into a reduced risk of disease, particularly cardiovascular diseases such as heart disease and stroke.

The results of this study suggest that, overall, lower carbohydrate diets have benefits during pregnancy for both the mother and her child.

References:

1. Rhodes ET, at al. Effects of a low–glycemic load diet in overweight and obese pregnant women: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr (October 20, 2010)
http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/10/22/...e-in-pregnancy/

Quote:
From the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:

Effects of a low–glycemic load diet in overweight and obese pregnant women: a pilot randomized controlled trial

ABSTRACT

Background: The optimal diet for pregnancy that is complicated by excessive weight is unknown.

Objective: We aimed to examine the effects of a low–glycemic load (low-GL) diet in overweight and obese pregnant women.

Design: We randomly assigned 46 overweight or obese pregnant women to receive a low-GL or a low-fat diet. Participants received carbohydrate-rich foods, fats, and snack foods through home delivery or study visits. The primary outcome was birth weight z score. Other endpoints included infant anthropometric measurements, gestational duration, maternal weight gain, and maternal metabolic parameters.

Results: There were no significant differences in birth weight z score or other measures of infant adiposity between groups. However, in the low-GL compared with the low-fat group, gestational duration was longer (mean ± SD: 39.3 ± 1.1 compared with 37.9 ± 3.1 wk; P = 0.05) and fewer deliveries occurred at 38.0 wk (13% compared with 48%, P = 0.02; with exclusion of planned cesarean deliveries: 5% compared with 53%; P = 0.002). Adjusted head circumference was greater in the low-GL group (35.0 ± 0.8 compared with 34.2 ± 1.3 cm, P = 0.01). Women in the low-GL group had smaller increases in triglycerides [median (interquartile range): 49 (19, 70) compared with 93 (34, 129) mg/dL; P = 0.03] and total cholesterol [13 (0, 36) compared with 33 (22, 56) mg/dL, P = 0.04] and a greater decrease in C-reactive protein [–2.5 (–5.5, –0.7) compared with –0.4 (–1.4, 1.5) mg/dL, P = 0.007].

Conclusions: A low-GL diet resulted in longer pregnancy duration, greater infant head circumference, and improved maternal cardiovascular risk factors. Large-scale studies are warranted to evaluate whether dietary intervention during pregnancy aimed at lowering GL may be useful in the prevention of prematurity and other adverse maternal and infant outcomes. This trial is registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00364403.
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abs...cn.2010.30130v1
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 13:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder what the bigger head size means? Smarter? I remember reading recently that pre-agriculturally people had bigger heads.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 15:04
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

I think it means a larger brain, since your brain is limited by the size of your skull?

--Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 16:28

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wonder what the bigger head size means?
It means more ouchies for the mom when giving birth. My son was big - 8 lbs, 14 oz, 22 inches long - with a nice big head! (though I was not low carbing when I had him) but luckily I had a big pelvis too so he came out pretty easily.

My grandson was also big - 8 lbs. 10 oz., 23 inches long - and was said to have a big head. My DiL is on the shorter side at only 5'3". She did follow a pretty low carb diet throughout most of her pregnancy, though she eats a higher carb one now - but tries to concentrate on "good carbs". Though I know she did dig into the Boston Cream Dunkin Donuts at least once during her pregnancy and since!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 16:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't necessarily think birth weight is a good indicator of health since too-big babies often mean the mom's have blood glucose disorders.

Wouldn't it be funny to find out we're stupider than our paleo ancestors? Here we think we're the pinnacle of evolution.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

I'd like to know that, if low-GL translates to low-carb or lower-carb, then, what exactly were the diets? My understanding of low-GL is that it is the choice of carbs with their GI values that determines inclusion, not the amount of calories. Not only that, in the past, I've read that combinations of foods change the glycemic load, and also the quantity of calories in a meal.

I was surprised that the actual words 'carbohydrate restriction' were not used in the abstract.

'Lower Glycemic Load' means 'including carbohydrates' to me. How many carbs and which carbs? Did both groups have the same number of calories?

It's too bad the actual study isn't free. Dr. Briffa gives some information so he's seen the study. I'd rather read the study. The conclusion stated in the study is different from his ('overall, lower carbohydrate diets have benefits during pregnancy for both the mother and her child.) Even though almost every study I've ever read suggests further studies or gives a very cautious, guarded conclusion, Briffa doesn't bother with that!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 08:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

This is very interesting and I also wonder about the same questions in the above post.

I saw my endocrinologist last week (I have type I diabetes). This was the first meeting since I got married last summer. He gave me a "what to do if you unexpectedly get pregnant chat." This was important because some of the drugs I take would be harmful to a fetus....

Anyway, to get back to the point I wanted to make....He told me that a woman with type I typically needs 50% more insulin by her third trimester compared to her dose pre-pregnancy! He also told me in women without diabetes, the body naturally produces more insulin during pregnancy, so we are just mimicking that effect.

I have seen this (AMAZING) Dr for about 7 years now and he has never said much regarding my diet. He knows I follow a low carb plan and has also said it is fine.

This is the first time he really talked to me about diet (obviously many Dr.s do not really discuss diet). He said he wants me to stop eating off plan once a week when I go out to dinner with my husband. Stay low carb. And especially stay low carb during pregnancy, when that happens.
(He also told me he thinks I have PCOS and being very strict with low carb will help me conceive).

Sorry this post was so long winded!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 10:14

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

a nine pounder would've been considered huge in the '60's but now is considered in normal range.
ever notice that those 12-13+# babies are mostly in countries where the diet is very high carb; rice, beans, tortillas......
birth weight has increased along w our high carb diet.

when i was a L/D RN, i worked w one doc who specialized in high risk and was focusing on blood sugar related problems. not only diabetes and GD but PIH/pre eclampsia, etc.
he instructed pt in lc eating and monitored closely.
not only did the women not have the above problems but those enormous babies came back into normal range.
and what i mean by normal is 6-8# and for the most part deliverable vaginally. most were not as much as 8#; that was upper range.

reduced birth weight is not necessarily a bad thing. big does not = healthy.