Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 04:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Dr. Atkins suffers heart attack

This is from Page Six, the gossip column in the New York Post. I just hope this unfortunate event does not cause a loud and sickening outcry from Dr. Atkins' critics. Wishing him a speady recovery.

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htmhttp://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htm

Heart attack fells diet doc

DR. Robert Atkins, godfather of the high-protein, low-carb diet craze, is out of the hospital after suffering a heart attack. Atkins, 71, collapsed in his East 55th Street office last Thursday morning while having breakfast. "One of his assistants gave him CPR and revived him," says our source. "But his heart stopped. He was clinically dead." Atkins was rushed by ambulance to Cornell Weill Medical Center. Just last month, Atkins disputed the findings of an American Heart Association paper that warned against high-protein diets. Atkins, released yesterday, says he's "absolutely certain" his diet did not prompt his heart attack. "I have cardiomyopathy, which is a non-coronary condition that I've had for a few years," he told us yesterday. As for his critics, "Of course I expect them to use this against me, but the scientific evidence does not support them. My critics hate me because they're pushing a low-fat diet, and the whole world knows that the only way to have a successful long-term diet is to lower your intake of carbohydrates."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Thanks

Thanks for posting that information Twiggy. I heard about it on the radio and was looking for more info. Of course they were saying it was because of this WOL! And they even said that he was not too old!

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Thursday April 25, 2002

Press Release

SOURCE: The Atkins Companies

Statement on the Status of Dr. Robert C. Atkins' Health From Dr. Atkins and From the Chief Executive Officer/President of the Atkins Companies

NEW YORK, April 25 /PRNewswire/ -- On Thursday April 18, Dr. Robert C. Atkins, the well-known nutrition expert and best selling author, did, in fact, experience cardiac arrest during breakfast. He was quickly revived by an associate and taken to the hospital. As this was not a heart attack (or myocardial infarction), but a cardiac arrest related to an infection of the heart he has been suffering from for a few years. Dr. Atkins experienced a speedy recovery and was released from the hospital on Wednesday, April 24. In fact, Dr. Atkins hopes to return to his responsibilities, including local speaking engagements and as chairman of the Dr. Robert C. Atkins Foundation, within the next week or so. His doctors have advised him to curtail his travel plans for the next 30 days as a precautionary measure.

The cause of this event was cardiomyopathy, not blocked arteries. Over the last couple of years, Dr. Atkins has had an infection of the heart muscle (called the myocardium) contracted during an overseas trip. Coupled with the extreme heat conditions of mid-April here in New York, the 71-year old Dr. Atkins suffered this event.

``We have been treating this condition, cardiomyopathy, for almost two years,'' explains Patrick Fratellone MD, Dr. Atkins' personal physician and cardiologist, ``and during the course of diagnosis, we discovered that Dr. Atkins' coronary arteries were normal as diagnosed by an angiogram performed at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital on the upper west side of New York City in April of 2001. Clearly, his own nutritional protocols have left him, at the age of 71, with an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system. Unfortunately, the infection-related cardiomyopathy is totally another matter.''

``I have had cardiomyopathy, which is a non-coronary condition and is in no way related to diet,'' says Dr. Atkins.

Cardiac arrest is an event in which the heart abruptly stops. It is not the same thing as heart attack in which the heart is severely deprived of oxygen but still beating. Certainly a heart attack (or myocardial infarction) is one of the known causes of cardiac arrest, but there are several others that have nothing to do with blocked arteries and other problems typically associated with a heart attack.

Cardiomyopathy is a condition in which the heart's ability to pump blood is weakened because of enlargement, thickening or stiffening of the heart muscle. In Dr. Atkins' case, this cardiomyopathy was caused by an infection that spread to his heart muscle.

``Up until today, this has been a personal and private family matter for Dr. Atkins. It is unfortunate for the family that it has not remained so,'' said Paul Wolff, Chief Executive Officer/President of The Atkins Companies. ``The Atkins Nutritional Approach(TM) is based on controlled carbohydrate nutritional science and has helped millions of people achieve their goals of weight loss, weight maintenance, good health and increased energy for the past 30 years.''

http://www.atkinscenter.com

SOURCE: The Atkins Companies
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 14:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default The article says it all...

Dr. Atkins did not suffer a myocardial infarction (heart attack) which is caused by plugged arteries in the heart. He suffered a cardiac arrest (his heart stopped beating), which can be caused by many things. In this case, it was an infection, not plugged arteries and diet had nothing to do with it. In fact, I'd say that the way he eats is likely responsible in large part for his quick recovery. I'm sure the media will have a field day with this and we'll see lots of "experts" saying, "Aha! We knew that eating all that fat would do him in!". We know better, don't we?