Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 07:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Clinical Experience of a Diet Designed to Reduce Aging

Granted, this is a small, 31-person, short-term, study, and two of the researchers are known LC advocates, but wow!
Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831640/
Quote:
Abstract

Objective:
Aging is associated with elevated levels of glucose, insulin, and triglycerides. Our objective was to assess the effect of a nutritional program designed to reduce these correlates of aging.

Design:
This is a retrospective chart review of patients attending an outpatient metabolic management program including a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet, nutritional supplementation and periodic individual visits. Outcomes measured at baseline and follow-up included body weight, fasting serum glucose, insulin, leptin, lipids, and thyroid hormone.

Results:
Thirty-one patients were identified with complete information. The mean age of patients was 57.6 ± 2.4 consisting of 53% female and 47% male patients. The average duration between follow up visits was 91.5 ± 8.5 days. Of the parameters measured at the follow-up visit, body weight, serum leptin, insulin, fasting glucose, triglyceride, and free T3 significantly decreased by 8.1 ± 0.8%, 48.2 ± 3.8%, 40.1 ± 4.7%, 7.6 ± 2.1%, 28.3 ± 5.7%, and 10.8 ± 1.8%, respectively. Furthermore, the triglyceride/high density lipoprotein ratio decreased from 5.1 ± 1.7 to 2.6 ± 0.5.

Conclusions:
In the context of an outpatient medical clinic, a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet with nutritional supplementation led to improvements in serum factors related to the aging process. Further research regarding this dietary approach and its relationship to aging is in order.

There's more on the PubMed site about the background to the study, its methods, results, and a discussion.

On Dr. Mercola's site, there's also extensive commentary in lay language.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 13:03

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Great paper, thanks
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

From the paper:

'The diet included unlimited amounts of certain fats and oils, a restricted amount of protein, and a very limited amount of carbohydrate. Patients were told to eat when they were hungry. Calories were not explicitly restricted; calorie intake was determined only by levels of hunger. Recommended sources of fat included raw nuts and seeds, avocados, olives and olive oil, flax oil and cod liver oil. The intake of protein was told to be limited to approximately 1.0 grams/kg lean body mass per day (increased for exercise to 1.25 grams/day). As a result, most patients were instructed to eat from 50-80 grams of protein per day. Recommended sources of protein included sardines, fish, eggs, tofu, chicken, turkey, wild meats, low-fat cheeses (cottage, ricotta, swiss), seafood, and veggie burgers. Only non-starchy, fibrous vegetables were acceptable: lettuce, greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, mushrooms, onions, peppers, sprouts, asparagus, and seaweed. Though not explicitly stated, the general dietary intake as percent daily caloric intake from macronutrients for most people ended up by history to be approximately 20% carbohydrate, 20% protein, and 60% fat. For drinking, 6-8 eight ounce glasses of water and/or herbal tea were recommended. A written handout with a list of acceptable and unacceptable foods was provided.'

Sounds good to me. And, except for the fact that I eat lamb as my red meat of choice now, it's my diet, pretty much. Higher in Omega-3s, and this study was not about omega-3s!

But - I'm still ageing. Oh well.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 14:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, hopefully we're aging better than our peers? I think I am, for the most part.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 15:08

Plan: Primal
Stats: 173/135/132 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well, hopefully we're aging better than our peers? I think I am, for the most part.

Here's to aging well! (I was at the dentist yesterday and when I told the hygienist how old I am she almost dropped her tools!)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 18:24

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBass
Here's to aging well! (I was at the dentist yesterday and when I told the hygienist how old I am she almost dropped her tools!)

hehehe isn't that fun. The other day someone asked my aunt how old I was and she said "32" and the person said "What!, I thought she was 18!!!" That made me feel awesome the rest of the day!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 18:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This sounds sort of close to what Dr Davis has been recommending lately.

I refuse to stop basing my diet on 30 percent sour cream. I just won't do it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-04-10, 23:42

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%
Default Clinical Experience of a Diet Designed to Reduce Aging

This article was published in the Journal for Applied Reesearch :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...report=abstract

"Conclusions:
In the context of an outpatient medical clinic, a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet with nutritional supplementation led to improvements in serum factors related to the aging process. Further research regarding this dietary approach and its relationship to aging is in order."

Guess we knew this already. Low carbing extends lifespan! Nice to see how this message (fat is healthy!) begins to spread.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 10:53

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Why are studies like this one never covered in the popular press?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 10:57
Registered Member

Smile

If you go to NCBI, you will find zillions of studies. How to decide which to highlight in the popular press? As far as anti-ageing, calorie restriction is also very effective. Do a search in NCBI and it's just overwhelming how MANY studies have been done on almost anything. It's a fantastic resource, NCBI.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 18:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
On Dr. Mercola's site, there's also extensive commentary in lay language.

It didn't connect, could you re-link?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 19:21

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
Recommended sources of protein included ... tofu ... low-fat cheeses ... veggie burgers. Only non-starchy, fibrous vegetables were acceptable ....
Could almost be Optimal except for the avoidance of starch and the excess fiber. And no organ meats listed.

I smell PC ism in the low-fat cheese, tofu, and veggie burgers. Yuk oh.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 12:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Sorry that the Mercola link doesn't work any more. I searched the site, using several different keyword combinations, and I couldn't find the commentary, either.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Oh well, thanks.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 13:42
Registered Member

Smile

Here is the Mercola mention:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...n-level-is.aspx

I liked reading the actual study more than reading Mercola's commentary. The actual study is clear about what the scientists have for a hypothesis. The commentary just sort of goes off - supporting what Mercola wants to say, which is that lowering insulin level is key to increasing life, not calorie restriction.

One is not key and the other not. It is not an either-or type thing. IF you can show that calorie restriction plus some mechanism to raise insulin level produces a certain result, then, yes, now, you're talking. But that would be a study, wouldn't it.

Mercola looks for a study about insulin and calorie-restriction and finds one.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...8?dopt=Abstract

It's not the problem that the study is done with mice - it's that the mice have a ' fat-specific insulin receptor knockout (FIRKO)' So, yes, there is no calorie restriction but their 'food intake is normal'.

These mice (who don't gain weight but have normal food intake) have increased 'mean' lifespans (18% increase in life spans). The mean is given, but what would be a table listing the outcomes, a display of the frequencies of the various lifelengths? You know there are going to be mice who live longer and mice who die sooner, but how much longer and how much sooner? And all this, despite having this FIRKO!

What THAT abstract says is: 'Thus, a reduction of fat mass without caloric restriction can be associated with increased longevity in mice, possibly through effects on insulin signaling.'

As in all studies, 'possibly' and 'may' are used to give suggestions for further study. What they say is that 'reduction of fat mass without caloric restriction can be associated with increased longevity in mice... (possibly through...)'

That means that if I exercise the weight off, without calories restriction, I will live longer!

Last edited by mathmaniac : Mon, May-10-10 at 14:05.