Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 11:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/158/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm bored and my body got sick of cheese, eggs, meat

Hello I am new to Atkins and just read a few posts. I went on Atkins a month and a half ago and lost over 10 pounds but now I got bored and my body got sick of cheese, eggs, meat and I fell off the wagon. I would like to get back on Atkins, any suggestions or information encourage me back on? Thanks!
Lau
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 15:37

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

I am finding that if I buy new/weird/different vegetables it is keeping things interesting for me. Try preparing them different ways than normal, and try new sauces, spices or combinations.

For example if you are tired of salad, is it because you usually buy one type of lettuce?
Try raddiccio, spinach, green or red leaf, butter lettuce, etc, etc.

I agree that meat & eggs & cheese gets pretty boring. Sometimes I feel like I have meat coming out my ears! Being sure to eat my veggies and not eating "low carb" prepackaged stuff (like bars, shakes) is the two things I am doing different this time around, and it is really helping to stick to this WOE.

Actually, I'm LOVING it!

I hope you find what you're looking for!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins & Primal
Stats: 207.5/194.5/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I agree with PinguChick. Try to come up with several different preparation methods.

Baked chicken is different than Grilled chicken, which is different than boiled chicken (in a soup). Also, marinades with different spices (mmm, I love dry rubs on meat!) will totally make a different.

For example, I baked up a bunch of chicken this week. I made an indian 'rub' with turmeric, a bit of garlic powder, salt & pepper. Then I made a traditional italian chicken, topping it with Italian herbs, etc etc. So, even though I'm eating chicken all week long, it's different tasting chicken.

Same with salads. Different dressings, along with different 'underpinnings' (the veggies) help too. I like olive oil + vinegar. Sounds boring, but balsamic vinegar tastes a lot different than rice vinegar, which is also different from apple cider vinegar, etc. Then you also have mayo based dressings.

Preparation methods and herbs & spices are your friends on this way of eating. I mean, think of all the ways you eat wheat. You eat bread, then pasta (in all different 'shapes), a tortilla, then cake. So, in one day, 80% of your food was WHEAT. But all those different ways of preparing it, with different herbs/spices, makes each one taste different, so not boring. All you need to do is apply that to meat, eggs, cheese & veggies.

Ami
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 00:07

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

What an excellent post about ways to change up the same food so that it tastes different and avoids boredom! This just goes to prove that boredom is easily avoided with a little imagination and even chicken every day can be entirely different every day!!

I wish I knew where this should be posted so that everyone who complains of boredom would see it and hopefully be inspired!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 00:33
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Ha, for me lately it's bacon&eggs, sausage&eggs, avocado, bacon&eggs, sausage&eggs, avocado -- rinse and repeat

Oddly, I do feel much better than I did the week after the T-Day feast
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 05:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

IMHO, if you become bored shame on you. You have not let your imagination guide you through this lifestyle and you are just making a "diet" out of it. I think of every meal as a reward and have become a better cook and meal planner. You know, you can also eat lobster, clams, mussels.

Also who says salad has to have any lettuce in it? My favorite salad is avocado/tomato/onion/shrimp salad. I drizzle almond oil or MCT oil with vinegar and I will have that as a side dish with a steak or chicken. And what about those cravings? If I desire mashed potatoes I will have mashed cauliflower with mashed turnips and a little sour cream and/or cheese. I have replaced yogurt with sour cream. Too much yogurt out there has nothing to it. But you can easily find sour cream that is made for just pure unadulterate cream. Mothers has a very good cucumber onion salad made with lowfat yogurt. I do get that from time to time but I am eventually going to start making my own with sour cream.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 10:26

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Try a couple of cook books - or better yet, the recipe section of this forum. Karen Barnaby's book saved me from falling off the Atkins wagon, and I found it on my library shelf. I've also found a couple of "treats" that kept me hanging in there. Diet jello with whipped cream, the 3 minute almond-chocolate cake were a necessity for me at night. Try the Just Like Baked Potatos as a side dish with a t-bone steak - or the cauli-fried rice with a stir fry. It's way more than meat, cheese and eggs. Hang in there.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 12:57
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquette3
Hello I am new to Atkins and just read a few posts. I went on Atkins a month and a half ago and lost over 10 pounds but now I got bored and my body got sick of cheese, eggs, meat and I fell off the wagon. I would like to get back on Atkins, any suggestions or information encourage me back on? Thanks!
Lau

Why does it appear that this has been posted so many times lately???!! Did you read the book? Just a question? Because Dr. Atkins states that if you are getting bored by your food choices then it's time to move out of induction into OWL.

The above posters all gave you good advice.

I have to agree with Black--shame on you for getting bored. Atkins is much, much more than cheese, eggs, meat. A plethora of choices abound. Time to think out of the box and go beyond the same 5 1/2 meals that you're probably eating every week.

Yesterday I had a pan seared salmon avocado red onion salad with a creamy garlic dressing. Took all of 12 minutes.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 14:28
Every day is day one

BF:

This morning...

2 slices mediterranian quiche, 4oz lox, 2 oz blackberries/1oz raspberries.

Dinner...

ground bison spaggetti sauce over, zuchinni "pasta", glass of Esser carbernet, lemon cheescake mousse.

Boring and falling off the wagon?

You tell me.

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:

Hey, no need to be mean! She came here for advice. Not to be told she is the problem. Sometimes we really can't see the forest for the trees. And sometimes people just aren't creative on their own. Hence all those cookbooks out there.

Lau, I think you need to switch up the varieties of meats & cheeses. Look outside your own cuisine to other ethnic dishes. Borrowing their cooking methods/spices really boosts the happiness factor in making low carb a way of life.

Remember, the basis of high carb eating is usually a grain or potato. Think of the different ways potatoes are prepared. Think of the different ways rice or wheat are prepared. These all lend the 'illusion' of variety. My anthropology teacher once said that the explosion of recipes occurred AFTER agriculture when the monotony of eating the same foods all.the.time, would be too much to bear. Something to think about.

Ami
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 15:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
This morning...

2 slices mediterranian quiche, 4oz lox, 2 oz blackberries/1oz raspberries.

Dinner...

ground bison spaggetti sauce over, zuchinni "pasta", glass of Esser carbernet, lemon cheescake mousse.

Boring and falling off the wagon?

You tell me.

Lisa

Off topic, but OMG I want some lox now. On everything.

Ami
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 15:33
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnS Mama
Off topic, but OMG I want some lox now. On everything.
Ami

Lox.

Staple item in my LC household.

Ahhhh.....so many things that you can do with it!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 16:29

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
good advice.

Yesterday I had a pan seared salmon avocado red onion salad with a creamy garlic dressing. Took all of 12 minutes.

Lisa

OMG, pass some of that down here.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 18:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Loxessessss! My precioussss!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 19:33

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Loxessessss! My precioussss!

keep them away from Gollum ... put on the ring!!