Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 01:20

Plan: CAD
Stats: 208/200/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default CAD & chromium picolinate

Is it okay to take chromium picolinate while you are on the CAD diet? The chrome pic. is suppossed to help with sugar cravings, but does it also make your insulin levels go up, or whatever I am trying to avoid, go up?

Also, do you guys watch what you eat during your reward meal or do you eat what you want?

Thanks for the information!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 01:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi nightowl,

I'm not following CAD myself, but I do know that the Hellers discuss chromium in the book .. how it will help you, how much you should take and when, etc. If you don't have a copy of the book, that would be a good place to start .. in fact, you might consider having a look at CALP (Carb Addict's Lifespan Plan) which is their updated version. Your library may have a copy that you can borrow.

In the meantime, check out this info on glucose tolerance factor chromium from the Carb Addicts website.

hope this is helpful

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 04:36

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default DOREEN

Hey Doreen,

You're following CAD now??? When did you change?

I'm still on it and losing steadily. I had a bit of a "self distructive" bout not too long ago where every time I hit 180 I would eat something I wasn't supposed to and gain 1 - 2 lbs... thank God I got out of that and am FINALLY under 180.... and the needle keeps going down.

How are you doing? How's your sister?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 09:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi Josee,

Nope, I'm not following CAD ... but I understand the basics of the program, and the Heller's thoughts on chromium, and wanted to share that with our new member, nightowl

I have the Heller's book "Healthy for Life", which is based on the CAD program. It's geared more to lifestyle changes and health issues than on weight loss and specifically overcoming carb addiction, but ultimately the program at its strictest level is the same as CAD .. low- to no-carbs for breakfast and lunch, with a reward meal in the evening which must be consumed within the one-hour window to keep insulin under control. I tried it a few years ago, before I'd discovered Protein Power ... and found that eating the full carb load all at once just made me crave all the more throughout the evening, and I was constantly starving and wanting to eat all night long. Then during the day, the appetite-suppressing effects of eating very-low carb breakfasts and lunches tended to make me not hungry, and I ended up skipping meals altogether.

For those who are able to follow the program and be successful, my hat's off to you

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 13:43

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default DUH

I'm BLIND as a bat! I read that you WERE on the CAD instead of what you actually wrote ! DUH!!!!!

So far I'm doing well. Not losing as fast as someone on PP or Atkins but I'd say around 2 lbs per week (except when DH comes home and I cheat).