Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 09:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/193/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Trying to lose weight? Skip the gym

Taubes in "Good Calories, Bad Calories" discussed the issue of exercise being a poor factor in weight loss (for many people). Others have been speaking the same tune for some time, or at least make such claims.

Spam Mail from Doctor WC Douglas
Quote:
Trying to lose weight? Skip the gym

Dear Friend,

For a long time, I've been a voice in the wilderness on the issue of exercise. I've always been stunned that the "work out" fad that kicked in back in the 70s has hung on for so long. Most exercise programs are a waste of time, largely because most of the people who start a work out program rarely lose weight.

Finally, I have some company here in the wilderness: Susan B. Roberts, a nutritionist from Tufts University in Boston and author of The Instinct Diet. Roberts says that in spite of what you see on those gym commercials, there's not a lot of evidence to support the idea that an exercise program is the True Path to weight loss.

Roberts and her team examined exercise and weight studies published between 1969 and 2005, and found that, on average, a one-hour-per-day exercise program will only result in a weight loss of about six pounds over several months.

Not much, right? And yet for years, we've all been getting a heavy guilt trip (especially from the $4.7 billion-per-year fitness industry) that we need to get our butts off the couch and into the gym. But statistics that I've pointed out to you over the years show that in an average year, millions of exercise fanatics that work out actually end up working themselves in to the emergency room.

"Feel free to kill yourself in the gym if it makes you feel good," Roberts says. "But it isn't essential, and by itself doesn't do much. All the evidence suggests that exercise is less important than what goes in your mouth, and when."

Roberts claims that 85 percent of the people who've participated in her no-exercise weight loss program lost between 10 and 50 pounds without touching a dumb bell or stepping on a treadmill – and they kept the weight off for at least a year.

If you're trying to shed a few pounds, just do what I've been telling you to do all along. Eat more protein, cut out the sugar and carbs, and you'll drop those extra inches in no time. No gym necessary.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 21:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Even if true — so what? Exercising moves lymph fluid around, which is good for helping the body clear out metabolic garbage, as is sweating.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 06:31

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Is this the source?:
http://www.douglassreport.com/daily...d20090601a.html
I think I just found a new friend!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 06:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think you need to realize the scope of the message from these folks is exercising to lose weight isn't really efficient. They're not saying anything bad about exercising and your health, just if you're thinking a bunch of exercise is going to shed a lot of pounds, it probably isn't true.

Can you imagine if people actually got the message and believed it? Biggest Loser would be a lot different TV show!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 07:03

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

Wow...

let's just stay seated in our air conditioned environments getting softer and weaker... hey I know.. why don't we eat a bunch of man made processed products too... oh yeah....!!

Sorry, people that don't take the time to learn how to exercise properly are always going to make the numbers slant the wrong way.

Invest in a licensed trainer, Move Weights, Increase Your Cardio, Eat Less, Supplement the difference... stop making excuses.

Profit!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 10:36

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Adding and MAINTAINING the added muscle is metabolically expensive. While you don't lose weight necessarily you do lose fat, and many of us find heavy-ish weight lifting and High Intensity Interval Training, HIIT, does not leave us famished. And as always, eating is about 90% of it. When injury or illness hit I always gain some fat back.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Invest in a licensed trainer, Move Weights, Increase Your Cardio, Eat Less, Supplement the difference... stop making excuses.

Yeah, come-on. Those physiotherapists, cardio and ortho surgeons have got families to feed and BMWs to service! If diet is 90% of the solution and exercise 10%, I choose to up my dieting another 10% thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 12:02

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41
Yeah, come-on. Those physiotherapists, cardio and ortho surgeons have got families to feed and BMWs to service! If diet is 90% of the solution and exercise 10%, I choose to up my dieting another 10% thanks.

Plus they gotta make the payments on their rows and rows of expensive elliptical machines. Plus those smoothie-makers and indoor tanning beds aren't free.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 13:16

Plan: low carb/IF
Stats: 206/182/168 Female 5feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

IMHO, killing oneself at the gym is not necessary, but some of us who have such sedentary lifestyles can only benefit from some kind of moderate exercise. working sitting down most of the day, driving everywhere, watching television for long hours in the evening and not cutting down on the amount we eat is not going to help. And by moderate exercise, it can even be doing housework, walking when we can etc.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 17:47

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I'm gonna exercise no matter what because I fiendishly enjoy it. But I do agree (and my own experience reinforces) that if you're exercising to lose weight, well good luck with that. It isn't the solution. I cringed last week when I saw a show about the Biggest Loser and it said they worked out at least 7 hours a day. 7 HOURS A DAY?!?!?!? WTF?!! WHY? And it just feeds people's belief that if you just work out a little bit more the weight will just fall off.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 21:22
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Exercise is getting me to goal!!!

So, yeah - it's true that one can't rely on the scale quite as much if they start exercising and so on, but at some point - the exercise is going to just blast off the fat, like nothing else (provided one's diet is in line).

I've dropped a mere ten pounds in three months of a new weight training routine.

And....

I've also dropped almost *three* clothing sizes.

I'm totally sold on exercise and I'm really looking forward to moving on from my beginner's weight training routine into something a bit more advanced. Debating between New Rules of Weight Lifting or just going with whatever the personal trainer comes up with.

I've had to eat a bit more food - and it wasn't exactly easy (those first few weeks were killer) - but I swear, weight training is one of the most powerful 'get to goal' things a person can do.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-09, 23:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%

I worked out for 8 months, using a variety of techniques (Slow Burn, Turbulence Training) and I got strong and had better balance. But it didn't affect my 1-1.5 lb/wk. wt. loss.

What made me lose weight in a hurry was being laid off after that 8-mo. stint at the gym. In fact, during the next 7 months, when I didn't work out, I lost my final 20 lbs in 2 months. I called it the high-stress, low-budget phase of the diet.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 09:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wish they'd compare hamster wheel type of exercise versus weight training.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 09:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Does anyone recall an article/link where Gary Taubes interviewed a bunch of 'Biggest Loser' participants a year after their exercise regimen? (or maybe I dreamed it)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 09:38
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I worked out for 8 months, using a variety of techniques (Slow Burn, Turbulence Training) and I got strong and had better balance. But it didn't affect my 1-1.5 lb/wk. wt. loss.

What made me lose weight in a hurry was being laid off after that 8-mo. stint at the gym. In fact, during the next 7 months, when I didn't work out, I lost my final 20 lbs in 2 months. I called it the high-stress, low-budget phase of the diet.

You did well then! I know that if I were in a high-stress scenario, I'd probably gain a bunch of weight back. If I get too stressed, I go into "I don't care" mode. Then, it's carb creep.

Good for you - despite the stress and turmoil - you've done it anyway. Took the (unwanted) 'stress test' and still got the job done.