Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-08, 17:42

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Dr Eades: Another China Study

Quote:
I want to give you a few words of advice right up front. Keep this post close at hand so that you can send it out whenever anyone makes one of the following comments to you:

-The Chinese don’t follow low-carb diets and they’re healthy
-The Chinese eat a lot of carbs and they don’t get fat
-The Chinese follow a low-fat diet and they don’t get fat
-Fruits and vegetables don’t make you fat
-If vegetables really made you fat, the press would be all over it
-Researchers never misstate their findings
-Show me the study!

The current issue (June 2008) of the International Journal of Obesity, published by the Nature Publishing Group (Nature is the most prestigious scientific journal on the planet), contains an article titled Vegetable-rich food pattern is related to obesity in China that is most enlightening and interesting on many levels.

Read the rest HERE >>> http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...tudy/#more-1265
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 10:15

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default Flawed conclusions, again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7495330.stm

Check out fourth paragraph from the bottom. Professor Popkin concluded that increased meat and oil were the culprits, or at least that is insinuated by the report.

I was the last poster on Dr. Eades comments, and I will repeat here. Shame on the BBC. They, too, pass on this pseudoscience as fact and now it becomes part of the regurgitated dogma that plagues us all.

Thank for linking to this post.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 10:23

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It makes me want to cry. Authors of these studies are under pressure to produce conclusions that supports the dogma. So they basically make up a fantasy conclusion that will please their bosses, even if the data clearly does not support it. They are happy, their bosses are happy. Since doctors don't read the full text and journalists don't read it, no one notices. So an actually interesting study goes to waste, and more misinformation is added on top of an already overwhelming pile.

The only positive thing I see in this is that things have not gone so far that researchers systematically falsify their data (although I'm sure it happens). So the information IS there for some future generation to dig up. I fear it's a lost case for us.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 10:28

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

I could almost hear the thud of Mike's head hitting his desk from here when I read that. Send everyone into more "fat is evil" panic, way to go, dudes.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Authors of these studies are under pressure to produce conclusions that supports the dogma.
And here we have a difference of opinion. The authors of these studies are under pressure to produce grant proposals that sound as if they will arrive at conclusions that support the dogma, and the reason for that is they must submit proposals that are of mainstream interest. This is true of every scientific field, and is one of the reasons there are some foundations that are now willing to sponsor *only* research that cannot be funded through the normal sources of grants.

That is a far cry from being under the gun to produce a particular answer. In fact, all it takes to change the current beliefs is for people to actually publish the data, conclusions drawn from the data, and an explanation of how the conclusions are drawn specifically from the data. Oh, it takes one other thing: the guts to do it. But few of these studies are designed in a manner that clearly shows anything, and even fewer of the people doing them seem able to draw a reasonable conclusion about much of anything.

The guy I worked with in grad school published a paper that was 180 degrees from the accepted dogma in our field. It did take nearly 3 years to get it published, but it was published in the leading journal in physical chemistry. Less than 20 years later few people remembered the old dogma -- the new ideas were and today are still so well accepted that no one cites the original paper.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 10:32

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I really appreciate all of you on this forum who put in stuff like this that I wouldn't catch elsewhere. It's making a real difference for me in knowing I should stick with low-carb for my health and not believe the popular media like I did before discovering Atkins.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 10:41

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Then what do you attribute this hardheadedness? Simply the lack of guts to do it? I would think that producing conclusions that are counter-intuitive would have them branded as mavericks and could hurt their career.

Or are they really so blind as to believe their crap? They must be then. I would think the fear of having your data looked over and and being revealed for bad scientists who can't interpret data would keep a few researchers honest.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 10:54
Registered Member

If most people believe the same idea, and if an individual person believes that idea is true, then the natural reaction of that individual is to apply that idea to what s/he sees. It *does* take guts to publish a contrary view simply because of the number of people who's conclusions you are contradicting. Beyond guts, it takes compelling evidence.

Though not a scientist, Taubes has done the same thing in journalism. Publishing work that runs contrary to the prevailing scientific opinion that is parroted by journalists is a risky thing to do. It isn't an accident that GCBC has so many references to journal articles -- the initial article he wrote was a risk but the risk associated with the book far overshadows the risk from his first article. It could have meant banishment to the fringes of journalism. It took someone very bright and courageous to write GCBC, and it takes people who are equally bright and equally courageous to publish scientific results that are outside accepted theories.

Of course, the scientists most people know are those of scientists who bucked the establishment.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 354/325.6/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 15%

It makes me so mad. Listening to this report, even if they are eating more meat and oil etc etc, the issue is not the meat and oil (which they say has only added 100cals onto their diet, oh my goodness that will cause a problem :P ) but the total change from huge energy expenditure from very active lifestyles to much more sedentary lifestyles so cal consumption drops greatly. I bet they have increased their cosumption of empty useless processed carbs too! So 100 cals up on intake but probably 1000 down on expenditure! Maths isnt my strong point at all, but the BBC should be able to calculate that surely!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 11:49

Plan: PP-Vegetarian; now SB veg
Stats: 143/130/115 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl

Um, I don;t know; how much execize do they get now, as compared to 40 years ago? Do they just eat more of everything now than they used to, due to growing prosperity & open markets?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 17:17

Plan: lc
Stats: 93/75/74 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscany
Um, I don;t know; how much execize do they get now, as compared to 40 years ago? Do they just eat more of everything now than they used to, due to growing prosperity & open markets?

if you look at the table eades included you'll see that those who were characterized as obese reported being more active than the other groups.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 22:48
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I love this paragraph:

Quote:
Which they set out to do. It is obvious from the first two sentences of the quote right above what the bias of these researchers is: fruits and vegetables are good for you. And more of them is even better. Problem is that there really isn’t any definitive research showing this, although it is widely believed.

#13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 10:04

Plan: PP-Vegetarian; now SB veg
Stats: 143/130/115 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowers
if you look at the table eades included you'll see that those who were characterized as obese reported being more active than the other groups.

How accurate is self-reporting though? I was convinced I did not eat much until I started writing it...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 10:08
Registered Member

Not very. But there is no evidence that self-reporting by obese people is any less accurate than self-reporting by other groups.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 12:25
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Given some of the numbers literally seem to come out to 50% overestimate and 50% underestimate, it sounds to me like it's simply that almost nobody can EXACTLY estimate their calories. Even people who count calories, what's on wrappers and used by hand in spices, sauces, etc. is surely not going to be identical to what a metabolic ward would show. Miss either way, even with a pretty good guess, and you're "inaccurate" about your calorie intake.