Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 20:21

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Instant Low Carb Ice Cream

VERY fast and very tasty. Takes about a minute to make.

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...-ice-cream.html

Who doesn't love ice cream? With all the sugar in regular ice cream, I have had to avoid it. I did try some no-sugar-added ice creams, but they contain sugar alcohols. Not only did they not taste good, I got a stomach ache for my troubles. I tried making ice cream in my ice cream maker, but it was a mess, took forever, and cost me more in ice and rock salt than the resulting goo was worth.

Luckily, I did some experimenting with my food processor the other day. The result is a recipe so fast and easy, I could kick myself for not coming up with it sooner. It literally takes less than 1 minute to put everything together and have creamy, tasty low carb ice cream read to eat. In fact, I have an electric ice cream maker if anyone wants it. I wont be needing it anymore!!!

Wifezilla's Instant Blueberry Ice Cream
(Makes 2 servings)

Ingredients
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Da Vinci sugar-free simple syrup

Substitution options: You can use packets of Splenda or Equal if you don't have any Da Vinci syrup. Try 2 of each (mixing sweeteners tends to lower aftertaste). You can also use frozen strawberries, but they must be cut in to smaller pieces. Whole frozen strawberries are too big and hard to mix/cut properly. You can partially thaw them and slice, but they must be mostly frozen for this method to work. You can also dice fresh fruit and freeze it. Just keep the chunks about blueberry-sized and it will work great.

Directions: Place ingredients in a food processor with a chopping blade (mine is an old Black & Decker ShortCut). Pulse for a few seconds until heavy cream & blueberries turn in to nice, creamy, soft serve looking mix (you can also use a blender, but you have to mix & pulse repeatedly to get it evenly whipped). You can set it a bit more by placing in the freezer, but honestly, it seldom makes it that far. Hubby and I just take the food processor container and grab a couple of spoons (fewer dishes to wash!).

Yummmmmm....Low Carby Blueberry Goodness! Drooollll!

I am not sure what the texture would be like if you froze it overnight, but I do have some in the freezer right now. I will check it after work and see if it is still edible or if it turns in to a rock.

Here are the approximate carb and calorie counts. I list this recipe as making two servings, since hubby and I share a batch and it is very satisfying. This is not something you want to eat if you are on Atkins induction unless it keeps you from diving in to a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Other phases of Atkins, Barry Groves plan, or maintenance phases should have no trouble with this if you keep track of your total carbs for the day.

Per Serving...
Calories: 243
Fat: 23g
Total Carbs: 12
Fiber: 2
Net Carbs: 10

Enjoy everyone!

UPDATE: I froze some for about 6 hours and it did get kind of hard, but it also seemed to get "dusty" and crumbly. Yuck. I recommend only making what you immediately need.

Last edited by Rosebud : Thu, Dec-26-13 at 20:07. Reason: Adding the recipe...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/206/140 Female 163 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

sound yummy I cant wait till Im done with induction to try it out!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 05:10
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Ohhhhh yes, I've made this with strawberries, and it's SO GOOD. Top of the line luxury, thanks to the cream.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 12:49

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I have a regular ice cream maker and I am getting rid of it. Takes too much time, too much money for ice and rock salt.

Same here! I got so sick and tired of having to literally chip and chisel my rock solid ice cream out!! <dented the inside of the machine doing that anyway!>
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 12:50

BF:

Mine was plastic and I cracked it! LOL

I need to get to maintenance so I can try other fruits Maybe by summer I will be ready for cantaloupe ice cream!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

When I was eating my strawberries with whipped cream, I thought of your recipe. I will try that very soon!

Can you use fewer berries and have it come out OK? That carb count is kinda high, and I know I would eat the whole thing at once. I know, I'm a pig. But hey...whatever works? Right? I always eat 1/2 C of cream at one time when I whip it...so will it work if I use, say, 1/4 C of berries?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 15:27

BF:

If you replaced some of the fruit with some finely crushed ice, I think it would work. The point is you need something frozen to chill the cream and get it to freeze. Having a husband who knows the sounds of the food processor means something tasty keeps me from eating it all myself!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 15:33

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

i'll have to try this sometime... personally, i prefer making the ultra-premium ice cream that takes 3 days before it's ready to eat. it's a little on the tricky side and you have to watch it, but it is SOOOOOOO worth the time and effort.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 15:38

BF:

If I had any patience at all, I might agree with you. But I have the attention span of a 2 year old on pixie stix...so this works better for me...LOL
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 21:33

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've been making single servings for ages in my Magic Bullet with:
1/4-1/3 cup frozen blueberries (any berries)
1/4 cup heavy cream
stevia to taste

but never thought of adding lemon juice. It sounds good.

Single servings eliminate the chance of eating the whole batch or having a less-than-ideal taste and texture after a while in the freezer.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 21:52

Stats: 159/124/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 103%

Note to self:

-Buy a magic bullet or similar device.
-Ensure there's a plentiful supply of berries and cream

Sounds like a great recipe! Can't wait to try it.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 12:29

BF:

I saw the magic bullet on sale at Kind Soopers. They apparently brought in a bunch for Christmas and now they are clearing them out. You may want to check around.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 22:53

Stats: 350/285/210 Male six feet, four inches
BF:
Progress:

I have a magic bullet and it is great, use it to make shakes all the time in it.

I have eaten ice cream like this many times in the past in the magic bullet, expect I never included lemon juice.

Whenever I plan on having a frozen treat later in the day or at night, I just put some heavy cream, cocoa (I use Hershey's Special Dark), and sweetener (usually a combo of erythritol, xylitol, and splenda) in a container and shake well. Place in the freezer until frozen. It is a really good treat. Like chocolate ice cream. Very low in carbs and quite nutritious with the cocoa.

I find that just using splenda in a cocoa recipe produces a very bitter taste. So that is why I use a combination. Erythritol matches very well with cocoa.

Also, I highly recommend a dark cocoa over regular cocoa in this recipe and all other recipes. There is more of a chocolate and less bitter taste. Also, if you look at the carb count for Hershey's Cocoa and Special Dark, there is only one net carb per serving in Special Dark. While the regular cocoa had two net carbs.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:25

Stats: 372/236.6/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 78%

OMG I adore you!! Every time my TOM rolls around, I crave ice cream sooooo bad. I got a couple chunks of unsweetened dark chocolate and froze them and added a couple ice cubes extra and WOW the chocolate ice cream totally quenched my craving!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 11:19

BF:

Oooooooo!!! I adore you right back! That sounds awesome!