Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 06:18

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Dr. Eades: more on calories and weight

Quote:
The energy balance equation is much like the Arkansas Razorbacks football team this year: they both look good on paper. But the reality is much different. I don’t know how to explain the Arkansas Razorbacks, but I can make a stab at the seemingly bizarre workings of the energy balance equation.

Read the rest here >>> http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=957
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 07:14
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
And, finally, you can see from C that the laws of thermodynamics weren’t violated because the mice on the ketogenic diet ran at a hotter temperature than did the other mice.

Read this this morning and I thought aha...THAT'S why I've been getting hot flashes after I eat! I'm re-inducting and I've been seriously hot after meals. I figured it was my metabolism revving up.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 10:08

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Eades's blog is a fascinating read, and fits in with everything I've learned about diet and metabolism so far. I'm looking forward to reading Taubes.

I wonder if there's any way of directly testing for an increase in metabolic rate on people eating low-carb? Like, do people eating LC, on average, have higher body temps than those eating high-carb? That should be easy to measure.

Personally, I seem to run at a low body temp even on LC. The thermometer rarely goes above 98, and is sometimes way lower. I've often wondered if that's why I'm a slow loser and just can't seem to shake those last few pounds. My thyroid seems normal. (It'd be an interesting experiment to see if my body temp goes even lower if I switch to a high-carb diet, but I'm not going to take the risk!)

I have a familial history of deprivation going back several generations. I've mused that my parents may have survived their many hardships because their slow metabolisms let them live on fewer calories - then they passed on their "thrifty genes" to me and my siblings. Every single one of us struggles with weight control.

Rachel

Last edited by Rachel1 : Fri, Sep-28-07 at 10:15.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 10:58

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I read Dr Eades blog every day and I must say that this has to be one of his best post ever. It's a must read.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 11:07
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1
Personally, I seem to run at a low body temp even on LC. The thermometer rarely goes above 98, and is sometimes way lower. I've often wondered if that's why I'm a slow loser and just can't seem to shake those last few pounds. My thyroid seems normal. (It'd be an interesting experiment to see if my body temp goes even lower if I switch to a high-carb diet, but I'm not going to take the risk!)
Mine stays low 97.5F on either diet, check it in the morning BEFORE you get out of bed. I am sure its thyroid, my mom has low condition and is not on meds.

I just read "thrifty genes" are part of why Asians can do well on mainly brown rice, vegetables and very little protein-- they are used to it, but even they will get diabetes if they eat a Western diet.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 13:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Your temperature is always low in the morning. Monitor it at different times of the day to see where it averages. I figure if it gets up above 98.0 I'm probably pretty normal thyroid wise. If you go by your morning temperature you'll end up overshooting your thyroid dose and have a high temperature a few hours later. At least, that was my what happened in my case.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 15:07

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Here's Dr Eades answering Anthony Colpo without mentioning his name. Class shows when contrasting how different people with strongly held beliefs deal with those who disagree with them. Nyah Levi
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 19:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

During years of high-carbing, my temperature was 96.8F (I tried several thermometers thinking there must be a problem with the first one). Now that I've been eating low-carb and consistently high-fat for 2.5 years, it is always 98F or above. And I'm no longer cold all the time.

My thyroid levels used to be borderline low, but now it is normal. I'm thinking that stabilizing my insulin levels helped to stabilize my thyroid hormones, all without drugs.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 20:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
During years of high-carbing, my temperature was 96.8F (I tried several thermometers thinking there must be a problem with the first one). Now that I've been eating low-carb and consistently high-fat for 2.5 years, it is always 98F or above. And I'm no longer cold all the time.

My thyroid levels used to be borderline low, but now it is normal. I'm thinking that stabilizing my insulin levels helped to stabilize my thyroid hormones, all without drugs.
That's indeed very interesting, ill have to check my temp again. I usually get the chills in Winter and stave them off by wearing wool, drinking hot liquids and taking Ginkgo Biloba and asprin to increase circulation like the high altitude Mt. climbers do -- I don't look forward to Winters, this early Fall heat wave has not been a problem after losing so much fat.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 12:07

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
I just read "thrifty genes" are part of why Asians can do well on mainly brown rice, vegetables and very little protein-- they are used to it, but even they will get diabetes if they eat a Western diet.

And us Irish/German peasants can live on potatoes and milk. Not the BEST diet, but it WILL keep you alive. No doubt more thrifty genes at work. Of course, when you combine that with the typical American diet...you get...well...ME! (and I need to lose 30 more pounds)