Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 21:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Gary Taubes’ new book [Mike Eades]

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=858

Quote:
Gary Taubes’ new book
Posted by mreades

In going through the huge pile of mail confronting me when we got home from Europe, I found a prepublication copy of Gary Taubes’ new book Good Calories, Bad Calories.

I’ve read the book in manuscript form when it was 800 plus pages, again when it was cut down to 700 or so pages, and now I’m going through it again at its new, svelte 600 or so pages. It is a remarkable book, and one that, I believe, will initiate a sea change in the way everyone looks at nutrition. Unless I miss my guess, Taubes will be on every talk show known to man, and his book will be reviewed everywhere, and talked about by everyone. Just think of the satisfaction you will have (those of you who are long-term low-carbers) in just a couple of months when you can go around with big smiles on your faces telling everyone I told you so.

Here is a review from Pulitzer Prize winner Richard Rhodes that I cribbed from Amazon.com:

Gary Taubes’s Good Calories, Bad Calories is easily the most important book on diet and health to be published in the past one hundred years. It is clear, fast-paced and exciting to read, rigorous, authoritative, and a beacon of hope for all those who struggle with problems of weight regulation and general health–as who does not? If Taubes were a scientist rather than a gifted, resourceful science journalist, he would deserve and receive the Nobel Prize in Medicine.

I pretty much agree with Rhodes. The book is phenomenal. Gary has been working on it for as long as I’ve known him, and he has left no stone unturned in his quest for a complete understanding of how things have gone so wrong with the nutritional establishment. He has interviewed - and sometimes engaged in screaming matches with - all (and I mean all) of the living (and some who have recently died) ‘experts’ who have put their stamp on today’s nutritional paradigm. He has sought out the big names at the major institutions and the lesser lights laboring in obscurity, but who have made major contributions. He has read countless books and medical papers, and has crafted a highly readable, fully documented, authoritative history of diet and physiological primer of how and why the low-carb diet works.

I’m making copious notes as I read through this time and will post a more complete review when I’ve finished. The book starts by showing that by the late 1950s the medical establishment had pretty much concluded that following a low-carb diet was the most efficacious way for overweight people to lose excess fat and for normal weight people to stay thin. This idea came about as a consequence of a whole lot of clinical and laboratory research and wasn’t really in dispute. The first part of Taubes’ book tells how that (correct, as it turns out) conclusion came about and what has happened since to get us to the point where it is now academic heresy to recommend a low-carb diet.

Order your copy early through Amazon or your local book seller and prepare yourself for a great read. The book should hit the shelves in early to mid-September.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 23:10

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Wow, I can hardly wait! I hope Dr. Eades is right about all the attention it will get.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 08:21

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm completely thrilled. Big Fat Lie was what sparked my interest in low carb to begin with. I was bowled over when I read it. Had I been religious I would have described it as a revelation.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:46

Plan: Atkins, Primal influenced
Stats: 265/210/165 Female 64.5 in
BF:a lot/a lot!!/???
Progress: 55%

I already pre-ordered the book from Amazon. The article I read was published in Science: same author, slightly different audience, but essentially said the same thing. Reading that article made me go back on Atkins after I had done it in college and lost 40lbs. I stopped because I thought it wasn't healthy long term. I didn't realize then that this way of eating would be a life long commitment.

Last edited by gridcan28 : Wed, Aug-01-07 at 19:59.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:11

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

I am also very exited. The suspense is killing me!

The only thing I'm a little nervous about is Taubes take on saturated fat. Back when he wrote "...Big Fat Lie", I felt he was still (somewhat) a part of the "sat fat is bad" notion. Wonder if he's changed his position since then?

I, too, hope it gets the media attention that it deserves.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:26
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Oh boy, can't wait for this book and those long-awaited and deserved "I told you so" moments!

Another one just recently became available in the US and I highly enjoyed reading, was UK Dr Malcom Kendrick's "The Great Cholesterol Con", which does a great and fully documented job of explaining how the current diet-heart disease hypothesis was born and became so ingrained, and why we never really have to worry about our cholesterol numbers (unless they're too low!)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 16:49
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Another one just recently became available in the US and I highly enjoyed reading, was UK Dr Malcom Kendrick's "The Great Cholesterol Con", which does a great and fully documented job of explaining how the current diet-heart disease hypothesis was born and became so ingrained, and why we never really have to worry about our cholesterol numbers (unless they're too low!)

Amazon are offering a 'buy together' of Taubes' and Kendrick's books for $29.98.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 08:50

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty

I might go ahead and do the same, purchasing both books, to save the shipping cost. That's a good idea.

Has anyone read both this book and the one by Anthony Colpo with the same title ? If so how do they compare.

Last edited by Angeline : Thu, Aug-02-07 at 09:27.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 14:32

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I have both Kendrick and Colpo's book. They are both useful. with kendrick's being the easier read.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 14:42
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

I have also read both Colpo and Kendrick's books. Colpo's has references, Kendricks is funnier, but both have essentially the same content.

I can't wait for Taube's book, but I'll just have to bear it until the middle of September.