Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 11:14

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Eat Sugar to Lose Weight

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...b-aso070907.php

A spoonful of sugar helps your waistline go down

New study challenges conventional thinking that high carbohydrate, low fat slimming plan should contain little or no added sugar (sucrose).

A team of scientists at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh has found that a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet (containing sucrose) combined with physical activity achieved the greatest health benefits in overweight subjects. The study, which will be published in the August issue of International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, provides evidence that the exclusion of sucrose, as is normally advocated in a weight loss diet, is not necessary to achieve weight reduction. In fact, the palatability of sucrose may even help dieters stick to their eating plans.

As part of a 12-week programme, 69 overweight women (average age 41 years; average body mass index [BMI] 32 kg/m2) were given advice on either diet, physical activity or both. A fourth group acting as the ‘control’ received no advice. Measures of body fat and markers of heart disease risk (such as waist circumference and cholesterol levels) were collected at the beginning and end of the trial.

The advice followed healthy eating guidelines and recommended:
  • a reduced daily calorie intake, which was low in fat (35% of calorie intake) and high in carbohydrates (55% of calorie intake)
  • that one tenth of their total calorie intake included sugar - around the average for a British adult. To achieve this goal, subjects were advised to include high carbohydrate snacks such as low fat cereal bars and low fat yogurts (containing at least 20g sugar) between two and four times per day, depending on their energy needs.
  • an increase in activity levels focused on including sixty minutes of brisk walking per day.
Writing in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, the researchers noted that after three months, the group combining the sugar-containing diet and activity changes recorded the greatest positive health outcomes, compared with diet or exercise alone. Significant reductions were observed in body weight (4.7% loss), waist circumference and percentage body fat. Measures of blood fats (total cholesterol and LDL) had also significantly improved.

‘This research contributes to the growing body of evidence that an effective way to lose weight is by adhering to a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet and by being physically active.’ commented Dr Drummond, adding ‘ it also provides evidence that the exclusion of sucrose, as is normally advocated in a weight loss diet, is not necessary to achieve weight reduction.’

Part of its effectiveness may be due to the palatability of sucrose, making it easier to stick to the diet. As Dr Drummond points out ‘Compliance with this palatable low fat diet was excellent and when combined with increased physical activity resulted in significant improvements in body composition for this group of overweight women.’ This study highlights the need for dietary advice to accompany increased physical activity in order to achieve weight loss. It also demonstrates that a low-fat, high-carbohydrate, sucrose-containing diet combined with increased exercise can be effective for slimming. Further studies are now required to investigate which methods will motivate overweight individuals to adopt these lifestyle changes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Gosh, that's been working so well for us over the last 30 years or so.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 11:29
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Let me get this straight. Some women are counselled to eat a low-calorie diet and get exercise. The other women are given no health advice at all. The dieters lose weight, the other women don't.

This proves sugar is okay because the dieters who were told to limit their sugar to 10% of their now reduced calories lost more weight than those given no help to lose weight at all??????

Umm... yeah. <thunks self on head for being stupid enough to give up sugar> I'll start eating sugar again I guess. I'll get right on that.

If the reduced calorie dieters had been told to paint their toenails red for the duration of the study could we assume that getting pedicures is a health benefit? I'd like to be able to write my pedicures off as a medical expense.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 11:43

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Hahahahahha! Yeak ok! I guess we were the dumb ones!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 13:33

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Holy bad science experiment Batman... do these people have a clue.

Everyone knows that if you eat less and exercise more that you will lose some weight in the short term, compared with doing nothing. You also lose more if you do both exercise and eat less versus one or the other.

Show me where they gave a group low carb plus exercise to determine that eating sugar was beneficial versus low carb....

I thought not...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 16:58

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Did you notice that low carb is now 'conventional thinking'? Wow, we've gone from a scary fad to conventional (and out of date) thinking overnight?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 17:01

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Weird - it's all about palatability? I wonder whether they've ever heard of artificial sweeteners???
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 17:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
sdrummond~qmu.ac.uk
44-013-131-73532
The Sugar Bureau

Think she might be just a tad biased?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 19:00
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Why not, its low in fat?

LOL
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 20:49

Plan: Atkins/PP/IF
Stats: 185/165/150 Male 70''
BF:
Progress: 57%

Good promotional material, really. The best thing is they can change the word "sugar" to "corn", "wheat" or anything else without changing much of the rest of the article.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 21:02

Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

She didn't even compair it to a low carb diet. And they only lost 4.7% of body fat. I lost more than that in 12 weeks low carbing and I didn't walk for an hour. For the first three weeks, I didn't excercise at all because I had sugar withdrawals!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 21:38

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Sponsored by the Sugar Bureau, as LisaN pointed out. Too funny.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 22:23

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I have heard nutritionists and dieticians say that you can't burn fat without sufficient carbohydrate intake...but this is a first!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 16:49

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Think she might be just a tad biased?

Part of me wants to write to her and call her a whore; part of me wants to cry over the waste of money, time and effort that goes into "studies" like these; part of me wants to do something productive, but I don't know what?

Who is really worse -- the journal for publishing the garbage or the "Doc".

Here's some more stuff she's written.

http://www.jcn.co.uk/journal.asp?Mo...e&ArticleID=100
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 08:03

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%

Time to control for one variable. What happens if we double "palatability" to 20%? Halve it to 5%?

It seems irresponsible to deny people this science. If 43%, for instance, is the optimal percentage when you weigh revenues versus customer mortality, we need to know about it.

PS How do I apply for a spot on The Bacon Bureau?