Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 05:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default LC Veggies

I have just started the Atkins LC diet and was wondering if anybody had a complete list of all the vegetables you can eat in your first 2 weeks?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 05:56

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi, Ahmed!

Welcome to the forum!

If you read Atkins New Diet Revolution he gives the list of allowed vegetables. I personally had green salads (spinach, rocket, watercress etc), broccoli or cauliflower. You might want to check Carbohydrate Counter on this forum (you'll see it on the right of the page in green under Quick Links). You can sort the vegetables or any other type of food by the carb content in ascending order).

Good luck!

ella
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 07:21

BF:

Thanks ella, thats give me a bit more variety than I thought.

I started the diet on saturday (9/01) and i have been eating the following:

Sat

Break fast - 2 boiled eggs

Lunch - Chicken Tikka with red cabbage and cucumbers (chicken tikka was prepared with a bit of yogurt and various spices an cooked in a clay oven)

Dinner - Burger (no bread or salad just cheese) with bit of donner kebab meat and cabbage, cucumber.

Sun

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs

Lunch - Soupy lamb curry

Dinner - fish with spices, cheese and cucumber

Mon

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs

Lunch - Tandoori chicken legs

Dinner - Chicken Curry

All the curry dishes were prepared without onions. Garlic and bit of corriander was used and various spices of course.

What do you guys think of the above? I am not carb counter person and find it very difficult to keep track of them sort things.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi Ahmed,

wao, the stuffs you're eating, sounds great. Hmmm, I've been on curry quite a lot aswell, cause I'm usually so busey and thats all my mum usually cooks...

Does'nt it get a bit tiring sometime..? When I'm at home what I do is put the chicken on a casserol dish, very little or no onion, slat, vinegar, pepper, and huge chillies and perhaps a bit of butter , bang it in the oven until its cooked. Its quite nice actually. You can ofcourse use anything else you like in ti. Its quick, simple and yummy...

Ciao
Sheila
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:00

BF:
Default Grilling!

Hi, Ahmed, sheila_K,

I sometimes just can't be bothered to spend more than half an hour in the kitchen, especially in the evenings after work. So I find the best way of cooking for me is grilling meat which I marinate in spices a day before. It comes very nice and never takes more than 15 min max. Add some green leafy salad with a drizzle of olive oil and good balzamic vinegar - yum!

Ahmed, those curries sound so good, but watch out when you have them in restaurants, I think they do add lot of sugar in them. Correct me if i'm wrong here.... and if I am... boy! I was missing those so much, I'll probably end up having curry take-away tonight

ella
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:50

Stats: 235/223/175
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Warning!

Balsamic Vinegar usually contains sugar!

Either you know that and don't care, in which case go ahead.

Or, you are consuming carbs you didn't know about!!

oh yea... I ate WAY too many curry bluegills when I was at college.. cant even stand the smell of curry anymore!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 11:13

BF:

Thank you for the tip, mattoman01.

I'm trying to watch out for sugar using balsamic vinegar. The one I'm using has no sugar but it still has carbs, so only tiny-whiny drizzle

I lurve Thai curries, but haven't had one for quite some time now. I wonder if there's a Thai Green Chicken curry in low-carb version out there. I'm even ready to spare over 30 minutes in the kitchen for such an occasion.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 11:56
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ella,

yes you re right, usually they put a lot of suger in the curries in those restaurents. To make the curry more British...

Why dont you try and cook some yourself, its easy, well atleat the basic one is.

Saute some onion then add 1teaspoon of turmeric, ground ginger, ground garlic and any other curru spicec you have. Watch out on the chilli powder though. Cook all in untill it becomes pasty, if required add just a bit of water and contimue to cook. Now add one whole chicken cut into pieces and stir and then either add some water or just leave to cook.

This is the basic (as basic as they come) homemade curry. Once you've tried this you can experiment with the amount of different spices, add a little cream too, yumm.

You talked about marinades , any suggestion...?

Sheila
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 12:26

BF:
Talking Curry!

hi, sheila_K!

I'm definitely going to experiment with that basic homemade curry. You know what... I'm actually going to check out the Green Curry recipe again and try to accustom it to LC. By the way, I've read somewhere on this forum that you can use coconut cream in your dishes as it's not so high in carbs. It's quite spicy though and without a good dollop of rice it would be a fire-starter! Hmm... what if I have it with some cauliflower.

About marinade. The base is olive oil and red wine, salt pepper. Then you can use your imagination as much as you like. Garlic, basil, ginger, dry herbs, sage any herb you fancy. I don't put it into the fridge, just leave it in a plastic tub with lid on for about a day. You could see how the meat starts changing its colour and smell. Then just whack it on a dangerously hot griddle frying pan for max 5 min on each side depending on sickness. The useful tip is the fatter meat the higher hit. But don't move it only turn over once, to keep the juices locked in. I like mine medium-rare. Chicken might take a bit longer though, goes well with some garlic in marinade.

#10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 12:33
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Ella,

thanx a lot, I will definitely be experimenting with it , although without the red wine part... religious beliefs.

As far a s coconut oil goes, donno, not from Thailand. There are so many pubs where they sell thai food, gosh, but yep, youre right need rice to with it....

Let me know how it tastes with cauliflower

Tara,

Sheila
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 13:41

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Tomato

A lot of curry sauces have tinned tomatoes (sugar laden) in them.

I agree with Ella. Easiest - and quickest - to spice it beforehand and stick it under the grill when ready to eat.

When I cook a whole chicken in a curry sauce, I remove the chicken to eat with greens.

The sauce I use as the liquid to boil my vegetables in. 3 mins in a microwave with just enough vegetables for one meal is fresh, quick, easy. Kept in the fridge the sauce becomes quite thick and gelatinous.

Take care.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 17:20

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

To those out there not familiar, no alcohol is left after using the red wine marinate. The cooking eliminates all that. Red wine is a solvent (as are all good marinates) thus tenderizing by chemically combining with meat and adds flavor.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 03:21

BF:

Hi all,

for my 2 week induction period i will not be eating out or eating meals prepared by other people.

With currys, takeaway the onions and add red/green peppers instead that works really well and you don't sacrifice much taste...

Marinating is fairly simple....add some oil, paprika, chives, chilli and a bit of cream if you want dampen the spices and anything else you want (use the carb counter - so you know what you are having) add, your meat and leave overnight. I usually use the oven to the majority of my coooking, but you can fry, grill whatever you like...

if you are keen fish lover, use the above to marinate the fish and deep fry it....it really tastes nice.....

Another good idea is something like keema dish with spinach or okra, that really is tasty..

My only concern with currys is the amount of carbs, which are contained in the spices, I do realise that you using only minimal quanties of spices, what is everybody else think?