Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Indian food tonight

I can hardly wait, in some ways, in other way I dread this more than Olive Garden. My husband and I love Indian food, and we have a decent restaurant he's wanted to go to. So tonight we go for our Friday night dinner out. Sadly the english is to bad I won't be able to query the wait staff with what's in the food. From my own cooking of Indian food I know what I use however, as illustrated in Olive Garden's Alfredo sauce, just because I don't use sugar doesn't mean THEY don't.

Since I've cut my diet to almost all meats for a bit I'm going to go off that for tonight. I'm looking at eating Chicken Tikka, Mattar Paneer, and Cucumber Raita. I'll certainly miss the Samosa's but I'll survive. Ohhhh almost forgot Naan, sigh... al well it sounds good but I'm not really tempted. Oh dear and I can't drink my usual mango lassi (tons of sugar). Ah well. The food will still be excellent.

Do the Chicken Tikka, Mattar Paneer, and Cucumber Raita sound ok?
Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleolithic since Feb 2000
Stats: 218/190/182
BF:
Progress: 78%
Thumbs up Indian Food -- mmmmmh!!

I too am a fan of Indian food. Unfortunately, I am no expert of the carb counts when eating out (I always cook my own as I enjoy cooking and Indian food is the only thing I’m really good at).

Anyway, here is my best guess:

Chicken Tikka is generally OK provided it isn’t Chicken Tikka Massala (the creamy one) which will definitely have the dreaded sugar added to the sauce.

I have to admit I have no idea what Mattar Paneer is (I must look it up in my cookery book collection as I am curious!) but Cucumber Raita should be fine.

I too miss Naan bread, probably more than anything else about my low-carb lifestyle. Hell, you can’t have everything!

Enjoy the meal.

Yours aye, Scotsman
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 21:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Probably too late, but I'd keep away from the mattar panir and have saag panir instead. Peas are way too carby. Eggplant bharta or a cauliflower dish is a good choice too.

Chicken tikka is good, or tandoori chicken.

THe problem is with the restaurants. Some add sugar and some do not. Even before LC, I would wonder why sugar was added to by some restaurants. Indian food is not supposed to be sweet, except for desserts! Gulab Jamun, one of my biggest weaknesses...

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: 10-20g per day
Stats: 169/129/125
BF:
Progress: 91%

And remember that raita is made with yoghurt.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

I'm baaaaack It was very good. I mostly ate the Chicken Tikka with a little lemon juice. I had about a Tablespoon of the Matar Panir and about a 1/4 cup of the Raita.

There was possibly a tiny bit of sweet in the Panir and I didn't eat peas, well possibly 3 or 4 and instead ate a chunk of the Panir.

So the damage was small and it tasted good. The raita was wonderful very very sour. Yup it was a full fat yoghurt yum. Since I've eaten only meats with no salt or pepper for a bit now I'm sure I will be paying for this tomorrow.

But frankly I don't care. This is how I'm going to eat forever and there's no rush to lose although I won't feel like that tomorrow LOL!
Jo
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/167.5/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

But frankly I don't care. This is how I'm going to eat forever and there's no rush to lose although I won't feel like that tomorrow LOL!

That is the right attitude - in fact it is the only NORMAL attitude to have. Sometimes we get caught up in the diet (lose weight) part and forget that it is a WOL.

Before Low Carb we would go out and splurge occasionally. If we plan it we should be able to do this too - within reason and then just keep on trucking low carb style!

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%
Post Indian Food (From Protein Power)

I'm glad you enjoyed your meal! Pray for me, our family has been invited out to a homemade burger place tonight. I wonder if they have had anyone else ask for a double burger, hold the bun?
(Getting back on topic)
Here is what the Dr's Eades recommend for Indian Restaurant visits; (Protein Power, page 129)
Tandoori chicken, lamb; chicken, beef, or lamb curry, chicken tikka or chicken masala.
Tossed green salad, tomato and cucumber salad, pickeld onion, zukeni bhagi (stewed zucchini and yellow squash), saag panir (creamy spinach).
AVOID: the breads, breaded & fried vegetables, potato dishes, and limit rice to a tablespoon or two
<end quote>

Hope that helps!
Kipling
P.S. What is 'Chicken Tikka' anyway?