Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 22:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 397/315/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question If I lose 210 pounds will I need surgery,skin?

If I lose 210 pounds will I have so much extra skin that I will have to have surgery to get rid of it ? I have heard of others, who, had to have skin removed? Does the extra skin happen to every one, after much weight loss? Is this something I have to look forward to? I am concerned about this issue the answer will not change my mind or resolve.. If any one knows the answer please let me know.
Lee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 00:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/290/200 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've read alot of good threads on extra skin after weight loss...and it sounds like it all comes down to age, the amount of weight loss, how quickly it was lost, and genetics.

I'll take flabby skin any day over this big tummy :P
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 01:31
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 274/254/204 Male 76 inches
BF:33.3%/32.3%/24.8%
Progress: 29%

With that much weight, the answer is yes. I'd say that for anyone, even an 18 year old. I think that will equate to a good 20 pounds of skin.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 09:18

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

I think probably yes, but don't worry about it now. It might not bother you much in the end. Just take one day at a time and don't project into the future looking for problems. A lot depends on genetics. I have read on here some very young women losing 75 pounds having loose skin. That has more to do with genetics than weight loss and age.

Sunny!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 10:16

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'd have to agree with the above posters. I'd say most likely you will need it. The two people I know who have lost over 150 pounds, each had to have several surguries to remove excess skin and that was with exercising and resistance work. I'm glad you won't let the answer deter you, as losing the weight is important. Both people that I know are very happy that they lost the weight and had the surgury. They both look and feel and great! Good job on your weight loss so far. You are doing awesome! Keep it up!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 09:56

Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%
Default id say no

in the past i lost over 100 pounds in a little over 3 months and no loose skin...it comes down to how much water you drink a day, are u toning up while your losing, and of course how quick are you losing it...if your losing 3-5 pounds a week that should be ample time for your skin to catch up with your weight loss...look at the people on the biggest loser show. they are losing tons of weight and no lose skin...of course their exercising like crazy...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 11:12

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I have lost 100 lbs a couple of times and don't have particularly loose skin. I am not totally through losing and because I am in my 40's I would not be surprised if I did end up with a bit..BUT, loose skin is much better than fat filled skin..IMHO.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 13:50

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPass
I have lost 100 lbs a couple of times and don't have particularly loose skin. I am not totally through losing and because I am in my 40's I would not be surprised if I did end up with a bit..BUT, loose skin is much better than fat filled skin..IMHO.
You got that right!

Sunny!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 13:55
Registered Member

Stats: 328/328/190 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default It depends on the person

You may or may not need it. It all comes down to the individual. I know two people who lost over 100 pounds, the first one is a 26 year old guy who lost 160 lbs, and had to have skin removed, and the other is a woman in her 40's who lost 200 lbs and she is as firm as can be without any surgery whatsoever. So I guess it's a matter of luck and genetics. In any case, I can gantantee that you will feel so much better and healthier when you reach your goal.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 22:20

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I lost 103 lbs many years ago and my skin was just fine then. But a little while back I lost 60 lbs and there was definate hanging in the upper arm and thigh area. Even now, having lost only about 40 lbs I can see that the skin on my arms is looser. There is almost 25 years difference between the first big weight loss and my present effort. I suspect that the difference is in my age. Hope you find better results but either way, keep up the good work.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 23:40

Plan: WOW Rx
Stats: 435/390/265 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I know if I lose 200 pounds and get to the 190 I want (or 205 with 15 pounds of loose skin), I will have earned myself a skin surgery. . .
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 07:49

Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have also lost 40 lbs and am noticing some loose skin in the same areas joesfolks. I still have 80 lbs to go so I don't know how bad it will be. I do know loose skin is a lot safer that fat filled skin for my diabetes and arthritis.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 00:45

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I can't add much to what anyone else has said. I'd say the odds would favor having quite a bit of loose skin. You and I are in very similar boats and I expect to have to deal with the issue - but like others have said, it's by far the better of the two options and, at that point, I'll be willing to go for the surgery as a well deserved cosmetic treat - mayby they will be able to do something about the rest of me at the same time.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 22:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 397/315/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks everyone for all the advice I do agree losing the weight is the best thing, lose skin or not. I just never let myself believe that I could lose it until now. So I guess I dream a little,, turn the page....
I cannot thank you all enough...
Say a prayer that I make it to my goal.
Lee
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 21:35

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 451/434/287 Female 5'9"
BF:62%
Progress: 10%

Hi Lee,
I am betting that you will need to have surgery. I know I will. It was daunting when I first saw an Oprah and also an Extreme Makeover, with someone who had lost around 200 pounds. It was really difficult to come to terms with how they looked. Until then I didn't have a clue. But it is very true that I would rather be thin and healthy and saggy than fat and unhealthy. I have just resigned myself that I am going to have to have the surgery. I am not sure yet how I am going to pay for it, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I just keep telling myself to focus on getting the weight off and getting healthy. Then I will have the surgery and be perkier at 40 than I was at 20. (smile)