Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/242/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Exclamation Jicama Chips

that's right i said it CHIPS!!!!!!

i was bored last week and decided to do some culinary experimentation and i came up with this. a little sweeter than potato chips but they really help with the craving for potato chips (i am a salt person so i crave them more than desserts). i would love people's feedback.

for those who don't know, jicama is a tuber that is extremely low in carbs and cals and is very versatile. it is kind of a mix between potatoes, pears and water chestnuts. it retains its crunchiness when stir fried and is not nearly as startchy as potatoes. It is traditionally used in south american cooking but is gaining head way in north america. I usually get mine at asian foodstores (T n T for those i Ontario, Alberta and BC)

2 cups jicama
3 tbsp olive oil
chili powder, as much as you want for spiciness (i used 2 tbsp)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp white pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Slice the jicama as thin as possible. mix oil, chili powder, cumin and white pepper in a large mixing bowl. add jicama and toss until jicama is covered. Place the jicama on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake in oven until browned at the edges. Remove from oven. Using a paper towl dab off any excess oil (don't dab too hard or you'll also remove all the spices). Let cool and set about 15 minutes.

Enjoy

serves 2 (the Jicama shrinks considerably in cooking)
Nutritional Information: 266 cals; 22 g fat; 18 g carbs; 10 g dietry fibre; 2.5 g protein

Last edited by nefarious : Mon, Sep-05-05 at 13:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 14:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/198/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 13%

I know this is an older post, but had to reply.

I have tried Jicama several times. Its got a fairly good taste. When you did your chips, were they crunchy?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

These sound really good - but I'm floored by the amount of carbs in jicama (well ....and the amount of fat too- not in the jicama, but the recipe)) - were the numbers for the 2 servings or divided and per portion? If I allow myself 15 grams of carbs per lunch & dinner - the chips would be the whole meal
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-05, 13:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you subtract the fiber it's only 8g net carbs. Also if that is for whole recipie not serving then the net carbs are down to 4g.

Not sure if you plan subtracts fiber or not.