Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 21:27

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%
Thumbs up Meat Shell "potato" pie

This was one of my favorite dishes way back when. it came out of a 1997 issue of Taste Of Home magazine. This is the original recipes, with our LCed substitutions in bold-italic and parenthesis. We make it so that it can be separated, as i'm the only one who LC's here, so If you are the only LCer in your house too... otherwise, you'll have to adjust the values a bit. (The nutritional values, as I plugged them into Fitday, are at the bottom for the LC servings - 5.22g carbs per serving, and you get 2)

Meat Shell Potato Pie (orignally from Feb/Mar 1997 issue taste of home, Pg, 53

1 lb ground beef, chuck or lean (we used 22 oz extra lean)
1 can [10.75 oz] condensed cream of mushroom soup, divided (we didn't use quite all of it)
1/4 cup chopped onion (we used 1 tsp onion powder instead, as i hate chopping onion!)
1 egg
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs (we used 1/4 cup crushed pork rinds)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (we used 1 tsp or so dried parsely)
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste, i don't tend to add any more salt to things myself)
pinch of black pepper
2 cups mashed potatoes (plus 1.5 cup cauliflower for the LC ones)
4 strips cooked, crumbled bacon (we used 5, we like bacon!)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (i never actually measure this LOL)

1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, 1/2 cup soup, onion (onion powder), egg, Bread crumbs (pork rinds), parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well (fingers work best for this, but it is gross feeling! LOL)

2. (separate 6 oz of the meat mixture. Start cooking your cauliflower and your bacon). Press meat mixture into the bottom of a 9" glass pie plate. (Take the reserved 6 oz of meat mixture, divide evenly, and press into the bottoms and up the sides of 2 10-oz ramekins). Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Drain excess grease off.

3. Combine mashed potatoes (we use simply potatoes from the refridgerated section of the store, btw, as they are easy and taste fine for the non-lcers) and remaining soup in a bowl. Mix with fork until fluffy. (actually only used maybe 2/3 cup in the mashed potatoes, sorry i didn't measure. In a separate bowl, mash your cauliflower with salt and pepper to taste, 2 tbsp butter, and a tablespoon of the soup. I had 1/8-1/4 cup of soup left in the can. If you use it all, the potatoes get kind of gloppy anyway).

4. Spread potatoes over meat crust (and cauliflower mix over the 2 small ramekins). Sprinkle crumbled bacon and cheese over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 more minutes. Let cool before cutting or it falls apart. Cut into wedges - The big one yeilds six servings, plus the 2 small ramekins, so 8 servings total.

We used to eat this dish often, as it is so simple and so good. The cream of mushroom soup adds a very small amount of carbs to the LC ones, as not that much is really used. Maybe 2 tbsp total, once the meat is divided and stuff. It's nice and filling, and i honetly could not taste a difference tonight in it from the old High-carb version i used to eat! I wanted to share this with all of you, as i hope someone else can enjoy it as much as i do!

Nutrition Facts
Amount Per 1 serving Calories 408.73
Calories from Fat 370.96
% Daily Value * Total Fat 41.22g 63% Saturated Fat 15.21g 76% Polyunsaturated Fat 1.89g Monounsaturated Fat 11.33g Cholesterol 113.93mg 38% Sodium 425.04mg 18% Potassium 537.38mg 15% Total Carbohydrate 5.22g 2% Dietary Fiber 1.94g 8% Protein 26.75g 54% Alcohol 0g Vitamin A11 % Vitamin C58 %Calcium8 % Iron15 %Vitamin D2 % Vitamin E2 %Thiamin6 % Riboflavin17 %Niacin25 % Folate13 %Vitamin B-621 % Vitamin B-1234 %Phosphorus23 % Magnesium8 %Zinc36 % Copper6 %*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 01:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/189/150 Female 6'0"
BF:42%/30%/18%
Progress: 70%

Wow, great recipe. I'll be sure to try it tommorow. Thanks and happy LCing!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 23:20

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

Let me know how you liked it!