Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 05:56

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%
Default DO YOU KNOW...the difference between margarine and butter?

I recevied this e-mail today and it makes for some interesting reading, especially for those who eat low fat and shun healthy animal fats. I did not validate any of the facts in the note, I just wanted to post it to stimulate a healthy open discussion.

Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in
saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can
increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of
butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study. Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only
because they are added! Butter tastes much better than margarine and it
can enhance the flavors of other foods. Butter has been around for
centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in trans fatty acids...
Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)
Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) ...
Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold...
Lowers quality of breast milk...
Decreases immune response...
Decreases insulin response.

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.......And
margarine is initially BLACK, but it is DYED YELLOW to look like
butter.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life
and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance)..

YOU can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in
your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a
couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go
near it (that should tell you something) ... it does not rot or smell
differently because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow
on it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to
grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and
spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(Butter them up!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 06:55

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Here's the real answer

Dogs will lick a butter wrapper.

they won't touch margarine.

'nuff proof for me.

(same is true for tofutti, by the way.)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 12:08
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I stopped using margarine, for the most part, about 30 years ago. I argued with my aunt about this for 15 years using some of the same arguments as above.

Finally, one day, she bought a lot of Promise Margarine (supposed to be the best, most heart health margarine at the time, right). Promise was usually very expensive and it was on sale. I had told her about buying butter on sale and freezing it and she figured she could do the same thing with the Promise.

Well, she took the Promise out of the freezer. She had it out for hours in a warm house. It wouldn't melt. Or rather it wouldn't melt like butter/margarine is supposed to. It had turned to plastic!!! I'm serious!!! It remained in solid shape. She poured boiling water over it. It melted like plastic!!! She put some in the microwave. It melted like plastic!!! It stunk like plastic too!!!

She never used margarine after that.

Funny, you can freeze the old fashioned, cheap stick margarine and it will unfreeze just fine, but the new stuff turns to plastic.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 12:21

Plan: general lc
Stats: 165/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:-?
Progress: 660%

Black margarine...that sounds disgusting. I just wish butter wasn't so much more exspensive.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 12:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Actually, the old margarine was white and yellow would be added. In the 20's they used to sell it with little color packets!! It really makes me wonder about this new stuff!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 13:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I used to buy the fat-free cheese. One day I tried to make tuna melts. The 'cheese' turned to a plastic like consistency under the broiler. I thought that it would melt like real cheese, but it just got plastic like.

I like eating real food now.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 20:49

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I like eating real food now.

I agree Dodger. . . Real food RULZ!!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 14:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 150/135/130 Male 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Margarine Facts

I am constantly surprised by the people's ignorance. Back in elementary school I learned that adding yellow to black still makes black, I encourage you to try this. Anyone wondering whats in margarine and spreads should read the ingredient statements. I have never seen yellow dye on the list. Vitamin A beta-carotene is added by federal law according to CFR 21 standards of identity. This is to ensure that margarine is a competitive product to butter in all respects including nutritional content. Just read the nutritional panel. It also visually differentiates these two products as dairy farmers were once concerned about their livelihood. Margarine has a shelf life of six months due to mold formation. It is directly porportional to the amount of water present and the emulsion stability. Fruit flies and even dogs love the stuff. Set some on your from porch and see what happens. Trans fats are higher than butter but there is absolutely no cholesterol. In the end its a toss up. Being a serving size of 14 grams, neither item would put you over the limit. I love to hear people talking about fat free sprays used in their frying pan. Since a serving size is so small, 1.25 sprays, no nutritional claims have to be made. Yet the ingredient statement is 100% oil. Most people spray five times that amount. It is all fat, its a loophole that manufacturers love to use. Did you know water H2O is one atom away from hydrogen peroxide H2O2 but you don't drink that stuff. The large lady eating two Cinnabons at the airport has bigger things to worry about.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 14:15

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%
Thumbs down

I have some margarine labeled 'trans fat free' and the oils used in it look healthy, but I would never use it for cooking because the oils would turn into trans fats when heated to their smoke point. As a matter of fact, I haven't been using it at all because I feel safer using butter--and the taste! Can't beat butter for taste! So much for sales saving money --Gail
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 19:52

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg Manf
I have never seen yellow dye on the list.

I don't buy margarine, haven't for years so I don't have a label to look at, but I do remember my mom saying that when it first hit the market it was white and had a packet of yellow something that had to be mixed in. (She said there was initially an issue with the color....something about it couldn't be sold looking like butter?)

Here's a page on Scopes about this: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Last edited by CindySue48 : Thu, Mar-24-05 at 19:57.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 21:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
I don't buy margarine, haven't for years so I don't have a label to look at, but I do remember my mom saying that when it first hit the market it was white and had a packet of yellow something that had to be mixed in. (She said there was initially an issue with the color....something about it couldn't be sold looking like butter?)

Here's a page on Scopes about this: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Yep,

The dairy industry had (still has) a strong lobby and they had laws passed that prohibited colored margarine from being sold.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 02:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by niudog
purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in
your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a
couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go
near it (that should tell you something) ...

Not entirely true. A while ago, when I was staying in a shabby apt, I involuntarily made the experiment made above, forgot margarine out with the lid not fully closed. I can tell you, cockroaches LOVE it!!!
And that's how I stopped eating it, even before I was aware of its dangers. Yuck.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/196/185 Female 5feet 6 and a half inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

In Quebec it is illegal to sell yellow margerine
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 13:52

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Sorry, but a tiny bit of cholesterol versus toxic trans-fat isn't a "toss-up" for me.

I'll choose butter any time over fake food.

Although I'd estimate I only use butter once every two weeks or so . . . the rest of the time I use olive oil.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 14:05

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Angry

Doesnt this just make you wonder how the FDA can say that they are protecting us? The FDA supports these companies as these are billion dollar companies.......the same as some of these drugs they approve that are bad for you. Yet they disapprove of perfectly good herbs that heal us.....the reason why is because they are making us healthy, some of the things they approve keep doctors and the drug companies in business.

Did you know that there are natural ways to get rid of gall stones, and kidney stones, yet why would the dr. tell you this? Think about how much money they would lose if they told us to take St. Johns wart for depression, or to stop eating margarine or other things that are bad for us. What would happen to our medical industry? Just look around your city...how many new pharmacies are being built? I realize our generation is getting older, yet, why are we getting so sick??
Did you know Doctors get comission checks from these drug companies? yes.......a "kickback check" for prescribing some of these drugs.....especially antidepressants.I am sure the FDA along with the doctors and makers of these drugs would be hurting financially if they disclosed even a portion of the information we need to improve our health.