Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 10:50
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Pasta La Vista, Baby

Pasta La Vista, Baby

Carbolicious foods are still great to eat, as long as you limit quantities

By Sam Graceffo, M.D.

I love carbs! Almost everyone is avoiding them like the plague and going on the Atkins or South Beach diet, but not me. In fact, my family presented me with a mug that reads, "I never met a carbohydrate I didn't like."

I've always favored carbs over fat and protein, but the preference became stronger during my years as a marathon runner. The last few days before a major race were always devoted to "carbo-loading": eating lots of spaghetti, bagels, rice, steamed vegetables and sugary desserts. This "sacrifice" was necessary to ensure a better performance.

Ten years ago dietary fat was considered the villain. Now Atkins claims the devil is in the carbs. The low-carb, high-fat, high-protein diet induces an abnormal metabolic state called ketosis. In this condition, appetite is suppressed. According to Dr. William Evans of the University of Arkansas for Medical Science, "So long as your carbohydrate intake is extremely low, you're not as hungry and you end up eating fewer calories and losing weight."

In an article in the Archives of Internal Medicine, however, Evans contends, "The big problem with Atkins is once you decide you've lost enough weight and want to eat bagels, bread and pasta again, suddenly you're hungry again and start eating a lot more food. The rate of recidivism of Atkins is extraordinarily high."

By contrast, the high-carb, low-fat diet does not suppress appetite but still reduces weight in a more sustainable manner. In one investigation, two groups of individuals were given exactly 2,500 calories per day. One group ate the typical American diet with 40 percent fat, the other had only 20 percent fat. The low-fat group lost weight while the other did not.

While the low-fat diet has been studied extensively, the American Heart Association reports there have been no long-term studies of the low-carb version. This is why many medical authorities are fearful that the new craze may cause health problems. Loading up on steak, eggs, bacon and other high-cholesterol and high-fat foods goes counter to all that is accepted about good nutrition.

The low-carb frenzy has been limited mainly to the United States. (The only country to follow our lead is Britain, but they seem to follow us in lockstep in all matters, even going into Iraq.) In America we have 1,329 low-carb products, and new ones seem to be introduced on a daily basis. As a true carb lover, my sentiments are in line with Dr. Evans': "Despite what corporate America may be telling you these days, decreasing fat intake is still the best way to lose weight." To that I would add: limit portion sizes, increase exercise levels and stop looking for a silver bullet.

http://newtimes.rway.com/2004/122204/bodymind.shtml
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 18:01

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Very nice to be complacent and there's certainly no need for the political comment. The UK is a small country; the US is a continent. Over here we reflect modern trends but we don't necessarily take them onboard, hook, line, and sinker!

Low-carb dieting is not unique to the US or the UK. It is a world-wide phenomena. Current research on the benefits of LC dieting is showing more advantageous results than calorie-restricted dieting. Presumably the author chose to ignore those moot points. He should seek to keep abreast of current medical research findings and a little more knowledge of what's shaping-up outside the US would be to his distinct advantage.

Last edited by Duparc : Wed, Dec-22-04 at 18:48.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 19:21

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

"The big problem with Atkins is once you decide you've lost enough weight and want to eat bagels, bread and pasta again, suddenly you're hungry again and start eating a lot more food. The rate of recidivism of Atkins is extraordinarily high."

Exactly, that's why you're not suppose t go back to eating those food, duh! Anybody who does that did not change their eting habits, they "went on a diet". The problem is NOT with Atkins, it's with people not doing it proerly.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271.5/233.5/210 Male 69 Inches
BF:35 - I am a Burger
Progress: 62%

Can I get an Ahmen!