Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default For Claussen Pickle Lovers

I only buy Claussen pickles every once in a while because they are very expensive.

It just so happened that I had a jar of Claussen sandwich slices in the frig. with one pickle left in the jar and some cucumbers lying on the table that I had just picked this morning.

I popped the last pickle in my mouth and washed and sliced some fresh cucumbers and stuffed them down in the jar, put the lid on and shook it. I planned to let it sit in the frig for a day or two and see what happened.

Then my husband unexpectedly came home from work for lunch. I was busy so I told him he'd have to make his own lunch.

Well to make a long story short I walked in the kitchen and he was sitting at the table eating a sandwich with some of the "Claussen pickles" that I'd put in the jar only a few hours earlier. He never said a word about these taste funny or anything. So I got one of the slices out of the jar and ate it. It tasted just like a Claussen pickle.

I'm thinking that I will be able to do this little trick 3 maybe 4 times before the vinegar gets too watered down and I will have to buy a new jar of pickles. But this will make these lovely pickles a lot more reasonable in price, and something we will be able to enjoy on a regular basis.

I don't think it will make any difference but the two cucumbers that I cut up to put in the jar were pickling cucumbers. Although they were a couple that I'd missed yesterday and they'd gotten a little larger than I usually let them get. I chose them because they were about the same hight as the jar. So I guess if you want to stretch your jar of Claussen pickles and can't find smaller cucumbers then you can just cut a larger one in half.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 21:40

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default yummy

Oh yes! I've done that lots of time! It's also great to try with onions, carrots, okra, etc. Just about anything! My mil does one with green beans..all different kinds..its pretty good also!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 00:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Pickled Eggs

I love pickled eggs....they add a diffrent way to eat eggs while on atkins diet....boil you up about 8-10 eggs peel them...put them In the Clausin jar with the leftover brine....put in frig...in a day or 2 you have great pickled eggs
Big John
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 10:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/200/145 Male 6
BF:
Progress:
Default Pickled Eggs

I'll tell you what brother, I love those pickled eggs too! But watch out, those eggs and produce the most offensive farts known to mankind. A little dab will do ya!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 12:02

Plan: Southbeach Diet
Stats: 169/135/115 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

We do this alot too.We let them sit for at least 3-4 days before eating them.We do it with the cucumbers.