Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 07:52

Plan: Atkins, KISS
Stats: 235/200/183 Male 6' 1
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default BFL just a money tree?

It is not my intention to be critical of this program or to troll, but something occurred to me that I thought I would share with BFL / potential BFL'ers with the aim of getting some feedback.

I had a recommendation to BFL, so last night I went down to the libraray, borrowed the book and read it.

The program itself looked interesting. But as I read through the book, I was equally interested in the way it was marketed, or 'sold'. Lots of customer testimonies, before / after photographs, motivational pep talks etc.

Not that this concerned me. I glossed over these parts fairly quickly and focused on the program.

What did jump out at me was that for all but those who want to prepare food portions all day, BFL is a program where half the meals are pre-packaged meals, most likely the author's. You see, the program requires 6 meals a day. This is a pain. But it can be eased by taking 3 of these are pre-packaged mini-meals.

I just looked up the cost of these. A 42 serving pack of the recommended mini-meal (Myoplex) retails for $100. That's $2.30 per meal. At 3 meals a day for the 12 week program, that works out to $580 from each customer.Not a bad take compared to many other diets that just get a $20 paperback from each customer.

Equally interesting is the "Challenge" the author offered. Show the best results and win his Lamborghini. The book says he had 45,000 entries. $580 per entry. That's 26 million bucks. I think at this point, the cost of the Lamborghini is incidental.

This supplements business looks like a real money spinner.

The question to me is: Does it work any better than any other low-fat program where you work out hard six times a week?

Why is a low-fat program, as BFL is (Those mini-meals are 23g each), in this low-carb forum anyway?

No flames please. This is just a different slant on what, to be fair, is touted as a 'miracle diet'.
Sponsored Links