Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:21

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 225/205/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question White wine...

Okay, I'm a bit confused. I'm in the process of reading the SBD book (it's the first edition that a friend gave me) and have found conflicting information.

I can't recall what page exactly, but around page 65 or so the book talks about alcohol and rates beer as the worst, whiskey being okay, white wine better and red wine the best.

BUT - around page 80, when talking about eating out, the book clearly says "avoid white wine" and to go for red.

Thing is, I don't much like red wine. I'm only in Phase 1 here and don't need to have wine right now, but I'd like to know why, according to one section in the book, I can't have white wine... but according to another page, it's okay.

(I searched the forums but couldn't find anything regarding this question.)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:20

BF:

BUMP!

C'mon people - I know there are folks here who have read the book. Why hasn't anyone responded to my quandary???

#3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:32
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Howdy,

I don't think you need to worry about whether it's red or white wine.....

Wine helps to stabilize your blood sugars.

I also think in the book that Dr. Ag was referring to full fledge beer, not the low carb or lite beer. Beer has maltose in it, which is a form of sugar. If you drink a lot of regular beer you are really getting a carb overload plus your insulin level is going crazy. Low carb or lite beer has less maltose (sugar) and less carbs, (3-5 carbs per bottle/can).

You should probably limit yourself to 2 drinks of any type of alcohol drink while your trying to loose the weight.

Don't stress to much, all diets need to have some kind of "give" to them if we are to make them a woe (way of eating)

Good Luck
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 08:52

BF:

Thank you for your insight.

No worries about the beer. I can't stand it.

Now a glass of Beringer White Zinfandel from time to time is something I truly enjoy.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 17:14

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I think Dr. Agatson is a bit influenced by the Mediterranian diet which includes red wine with most meals. There are a whole bunch of studies suggesting that red wine is better for you - anti-oxidants, anti cancer etc., not so much weight-wize.

I also think in general red wine is drier (except for kosher ritual wine, which is sugar water!), so another reason why he might be suggesting red over white is less sugar. One reason why I am on SBD and not Atkins is that I like to have a glass of wine - rarely two - and it is possible. I have sometimes white, but would say you should look at the sugar contents and make sure you drink dry white wine. As with all SBD carb-added things in phase 2, try it for a while, and if you stall, see what happens when you drop it. Everyone has to find out for her/himself. Cheers-Prost!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:56

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

I didn't like red wine either until I tried a Shiraz red wine. It's good! It's not all dry and nasty like regular red wines!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 10:37

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

red wine goes straight to my head and I feel like hell the next day - I drink white wine spritzers.

Vikki