Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 06:26

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%
Default Protein Power Pals - Thursday, April 8

Yikes it is 8:30 (EDT) and no one is alive...wake up everyone!!

I am re-posting this from last nite.......I guess we have no nite owls amongst us

Well it was back to the gym for the first time in months, and it went well. I did a different workout, more of a circuit. Basically, 2 exercises per body part for 2 sets - 1st set 15 reps, 2nd set 12 reps with a heavier weight, and until failure. You go one round of chest/back, then repeat, and so on for shoulders, triceps, and biceps. It was different, and challenging as there was no rest between exercises, only between circuits. I thought I would be much weaker than I was, but I could still lift quite a bit So, next time I will up the weights.

Dawn...haha!! Dentist was no fun, especially since I will need 2 crowns Oh well, I guess it could have been worse!!

I upped my carbs today to about 50, not counting veggies. I will probably throw a few more in there. I am still afraid to add too many since I have been doing so well as it is now.

Have a good day all!

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 07:18

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, Robin! I'm here, but extremely busy. Couldn't pop in at all yesterday.

Good job on the workout. That's something I need to get back to.

"Clean PP" is going well. Appetite is way down. Menus are posted in my journal if anyone is interested (seems I have a few stalkers!)

Hang in there, everyone. Make good LC choices today!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 07:50
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi folks

Just wanted to share an article, that would appear that I could have been the woman asking and relating her questions! She talks about being postive, having great results healthwise, and the next minute busting out in tears in the grocery store! That is SO ME! With the T crosssed and the i dotted!

I have noticed that it is more overwhelming for me when I go in at the end of the day when I am tired, or when I go by myself. If my dh goes with me, say after church, It doesnt hit me like that at all. But his time is so limited, he works so hard, and long hours, I often feel guilty for traipsing him around the store w/ me. It is certainly NOT something he enjoys at all. Last nite he got home at 9pm, after leaving at 2 am, and had to leave out again this morning at 230 am. I don't know how he does it! I am cranky cause I didnt sleep well last nite either, but I certainly got more than 2-3 hours sleep!

Anyhoos, here is the article: Focusing on the Can'ts, mourning...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 08:52

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi folks - not going to post yesterday's menu because I didn't fix any of it so don't know the ingredients and amounts. Eating was not horrible, but not good either - had a cheddar bay biscuit at Red Lobster (rest of meal was very LC) and know my mom's coleslaw had sugar in it at lunch and suppect there was some white flour in the fried squash. Weight is 174 lbs this AM and I'm in very light ketosis (nothing on the stick, but the tell-tale funky breathe is present)

Bawdy, so good to see you back on track.

Dawn, your hubby and mine are twins... I'm also in awe over your schedule.

Interesting article. Parallels a lot of the things we teach newcomers to 12-step programs - especially the mourning / adjustment stuff.

Wendy, great to see you stick with the working out. DBF is sounding more and more like a keeper. Finding someone who supports your goals even when you are weak isn't easy. Re: not feeling like a workout is a workout - that is what happens when you start to really get into shape -- the workouts don't half-kill you anymore. The 8.6 mile hike I did Sunday was fairly easy - a month ago it would have left me drained for a week.

Robin, sounds like you are doing well also - listen to your body re: adjusting carbs.

Unity, congrats on the weight loss! How about posting what you are eating - inquiring minds want to know

Songberrie, sure hope you get to feeling better soon.

Kat, great to see you - I've PMed you my phone number - should be a local cal from your mom's house. Sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well - hope they can find a pain management program that works for her. My parents are also elderly and my mom has Parkinsons and likely Alzheimers - had dinner with my brother last night to discuss how to care for mom long-term as Dad is 82 and not going to be able to take care of Mom much longer.

Re: swimsuit - great find. Know about the chemicals and suits - I was in water therapy for about three years. Nylon and polyesters hold up better to the chemical onslaught than spandex if you can find suits made with those fibers.

acipenser (Michelle), I'm in awe over your busy schedule

Paris, hope TOM is behaving better today. I haven't had TOM issues in several years (menopausal), but things were really rough when I did. I didn't get cranky so much, but I got cramps so bad that I was unable to keep food down and landed in the hospital several times a year with dehydration from that.

Ellie, glad you are at the end of the BCP's. Sorry they don't seem to be working for you. Hope the docs can find a solution soon.

Your menus look great - as always.

Rob, Marnie, Carrie (eightc) - don't make me organize a search party.... Would be nice to hear from Karen and Kristine also, but know y'all are busy folks.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 09:42

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Good morning I am feeling a bit sore today, my ab/yoga instructor worked us pretty hard last night. I have noticed that when the class is overcrowded he does this. Think it is his way of making sure those who aren't serious don't return He did tell me that I have come a long since my first class...always good to hear.

Yesterday's menu:

B - 1 cup Keto flakes, 2/3 CCD 2% milk, coffee w/H&H splenda

L - 6-7 chili lime wings w/2-3 TBS lc bbq sauce, 2 cups mixed salad greens w/almond accents & cesear parmasan vinegrette

S - 1/3 carbwise bar, small handful ranch sunflower seeds

15 min ab class/1 hour yoga class

S - 1 inch square leftover lc pizza

D - 1 stuffed chicken breast, 1.5 cups mixed cauli/broccoli w/ 2 pat butter

Dessert - 1/2 cup SF ice cream

Robin - WTG on the workout!!

Orang - So good to see you post

Wendy - Good job on the cardio. I still have days like that and still don't know why. Lately my energy has been really good but when I have one of those days I just try to set a smaller goal..like 15-20 minutes and walk away. Are you sure you want to try CAD again? I think the reason you are feeling back in control is b/c you are back to eating the way you were before. Before you go back I would re-read all of your posts and really make sure you want to do this

Hello to everyone!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Thursday (is it Thursday already?)

Hi all!
Not going to post what I ate yesterday because I am really up in the air right now ! It is hard to concentrate on this WOE when there is so much else to worry about! On top of worrying about my Mom and Dad I am also very concerned about my brother who is extremely depressed (and I believe nearly suicidal) he stood me up on a lunch date while I was at Mom and Dad's house and told me later he just couldn't face anyone!
On top of all that my little rescue Yorkie does not adapt well to changes in routine and (having collapsing trachea which causes a VERY LOUD HONKING COUGH) has been HONKING nonstop, 24 hours a day for the past 3 days, has not eaten in almost 5 days and is driving EVERYONE (human and canine)in the house CRAZY. I am afraid I am going to have to take her back to the rescue group where I got her so someone with more experience can try their luck with her! Makes me feel rather helpless...........

Renee: I left you a new PM and sent you an email twice (they both came back undeliverable......SHeeesh!!!! I feel dense today! !

Hope everyone has a good carb day!
Kat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 10:47

BF:

Wendy, I would have to agree with what Ellie said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamellie
Wendy - Are you sure you want to try CAD again? I think the reason you are feeling back in control is b/c you are back to eating the way you were before. Before you go back I would re-read all of your posts and really make sure you want to do this

You know your body better than anyone, but I would hesitate to jump right back in.

One thing I really didn't like about CALP, but couldn't put my finger on before, was that it's more of the traditional "diet" mentality. Cut way back all day long so you can splurge at night. It hit me as I was reading someone's post from over there. She listed her menu for a typical day as a LC shake for breakfast and lunch, and then a "balanced" reward meal. Doesn't this sound an awful lot like the old Slim-Fast commercials?

I really like PP in that it encourages you to eat balanced meals throughout the day, so that you get a good range of nutrients. If you do the reward meal like you and I were doing (with lots of carby carbs and dessert), it's not a good mix of nutrients. Or, if you do it the way some over there say (and just have a light LC reward meal), you're still not getting many nutrients.

That said, we all have to find our own way.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 10:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

I think I'm going to live! Gosh, that was awful being so sick! I don't know if it was just the bladder infection or something else too. I sure didn't feel like eating, which just made me feel weak too. I feel so much better now.

The kids are home on spring break for the next few days, so I've got them cleaning up the house, because my parents are coming tonight from Coeur d'Alene. With not feeling well this week, I was lucky to keep the kitchen clean.

This will be kind of fun to see if my parents even notice my weight loss. I haven't told them I've been low carbing. I know they'll be very happy about me loosing weight. My dh says he can get his arms around me better now! I can't believe how many pounds I had gained and could still fit the same clothes! I know that won't work when I get down into more normal sizes.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 11:10

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Good afternoon, Pals!

I wanted to share with you that today is my 1 month anniversay on Protein Power. I am extremely happy with my results thus far, which include:

* 5 pound scale loss
* increased energy
* increase muscle tone
* better sleep habits
* smoother, firmer skin
* glossier hair
* decreased cravings and food obsessions

All of this after just one month! I am very happy with this program.

Have a lovely day, y'all! Paris
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 11:28

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Kat - Wow...I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time. I will be sending some prayers your way and hope things look up for you soon

Song - Glad you are feeling better. I am sure your parents will flip when they see you!

Bawdy - Your menus look awesome....I am having a hard time getting my calories that low. Mainly because I have been lazy and not planning my meals like I should. I am planning on stealing one of your snacks, apple w/Peanut Butter That sounds like a good before gym snack to me. I think the woosh fairy will visit soon How is your tan coming? What brand of bronzer are you using? I have been using Emerald Bay toasted twister and just bought a brand called Stylz - Jamaica which is supposed to be darker...let you know if it is or not

Paris - I so glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep up the good work

GUESS WHAT!! My Mom is coming back to low carb! I sent the PP book and bought her some supplies (almond flour, SF vanilla syrup, etc..) to get her going. I knew WW wouldn't work for her...it never has.

Well.....I bought a new swimsuit too but I haven't got it yet I hope it looks ok on me...this was a big step for me. Here is what it looks like:

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/...=57&parent_id=&

I will let you know if I keep it or send it back
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 11:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

Ellie - wow, that is a cute suit!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:17

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Unity, congrats on the weight loss! How about posting what you are eating - inquiring minds want to know
I have been doing my own idea of a fat fast....I make a latte with a cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and a 1/4 cup cream and take a sip every 10 min or so then for dinner I eat some protien hi in fat................I only plan on doing this for a couple days so don't worry,but I had to get the scale to move.I am GOING to get the a BR this summer and I won't let the IC tell me I weigh to much.Plus I am told after surgery your tummy looks a lot bigger all of the sudden...LOL
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:17

BF:

Ellie, I'm not trying to get the calories that low, it just turns out that way. Today they might get a little higher. For some reason the food isn't sticking with me today. I guess we all have off days.

My tan is coming along, but very slowly. This is my fourth week, and I'm really only starting to show. I've been at the maximum time for last week and this week, so I don't know why I'm not browner. I use an accelerator called "Mata Hari" in the shade "Sexy Tan." I'm quite disappointed, since the tube cost $35! I'd switch, but I have so much money invested in this one, I don't want to have to spend just as much on another brand.

Anyway, it looks like my vacation might get postponed again after all. DH is up to his eyeballs in work, and some major things came up this week at work for me as well. A key person that I will be working very closely with who is based in California will be coming here for a 3-day visit the week I'm gone. Someone can fill in for me, but I hate to miss the opportunity to put a face to a name (and for her to do the same). We'll see. We'll make our decision by the weekend at the latest.
BTW, the suit is cute!

Unity, have you had a consultation yet regarding the BR? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine asked her doctor for a referral to the surgeon, and the soonest he can fit her in for a consultation is the end of June and told her not to expect to have the surgery done before Fall.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:28

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi guys, still here

Kids are out of school for Easter and weather is nasty so I have a houseful of teenagers, empty fridge and stereos blasting.
I might run away

Will get back on later when everyone scrams.
Love, Carrie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 14:55

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Unity, have you had a consultation yet regarding the BR?
I have to wait till May 3 to call to get an app. for July,then it should take 2-3 weeks from when IC says yes.I can't wait!!!!!!!!