Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%
Default Does anyone hard cook their eggs in the microwave?

I get so tired of hard boiling eggs. I know it's not really a tough job, but it's so tedious. First, I have to remember to take the eggs out of the fridge and let them warm a bit. Then, there's the boiling.....seems like forever. Then, there's the cooling down period. I place mine in cold water and let this sit for a long time so the shells slide off. So I was wondering if there's a way to nuke eggs (other than for scrambling), and found this:

>>>Hard-Cooked Eggs

Separate yolks and whites of eggs into 2 lightly greased liquid measures or small bowls. Stir yolks with fork. Cover each container with plastic wrap. Cook separately on 50% or 30% power, stirring once or twice, allowing about 20 to 30 seconds per yolk, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per white. Remove when slightly underdone. Let stand, covered, about 2 minutes. Cool long enough to handle comfortably, then chop or chill until ready to chop.<<<

I really don't ever eat just plain hard boiled eggs. I just boil eggs for deviled eggs or egg salad, so this might be a good alternative. Anyone ever try this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 09:38

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi - I actually poach eggs in the microwave. You do have to watch it closely, and it is not as fast as scrambled, but it is a nice change. I heat water for about two minutes, crack two eggs into the heated water, then heat the eggs for first 1 minute than 30 seconds at a time for up to 3 0r 4 times depending on the microwave. if you use a clear measuring cup you can see when they are done. I've gotten good at doing it so I still have egg yolk, but you can cook them hard.

Good luck,
Pecan Pie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I usually just whip a couple eggs in a bowl, and zap them until they are hard in the microwave, then cut them in chunks....they are great as a "filler" in soups, and stirfrys..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:44
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

I regularly crack 2 eggs into a cup, pierce the yokes and then nuke on high for about a minute.

Be careful though, if you do them too long / don't pop the yoke, they can explode and make a mess of the micro!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:11

Stats: 222/178.4/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 50%

There is also a great device that cooks up to 7 eggs in one go. You add as much water as you need for soft, medium, or hardboiled, and in just a few minutes it is done. Siemens manufactures the one I use.

If this solution won't work for you, you can hard boil more than you need, and then store them (still in their shell) in the fridge for up to a week - possibly longer but I've not tried. Just write an "H" on the shells so you can tell which ones they are!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 06:55
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

My steamer has a bit in the bottom for cooking eggs which is what I use if I want some HBs.... good tip Strudel182 about writing on them so you know which ones in the fridge are which!