Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 13:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Default Losing my religion?

Over the last few days, aside from a few spirited debates about other plans and low-carb vs. moderate carb vs. high carb, I've realized something that's likely not NEWS, but was one of those "aha!" moments for me.

Is dieting like religion?

Some people sit quietly in the "cheap seats" living their chosen plan, reaping the rewards.. leading by example.

Some people jump on a plan with a fervor only matched by starving wolves on a lamb, snarling and snapping at anyone who questions their plan! Anyone who questions what they believe to be THE truth are heretics to be ridiculed. Some of them go out of their WAY to find "nonbelievers" in person and the media and hold them up to be picked apart any way possible.

Yet others do all but travel door-to-door, preaching their plan. They feel compelled to "save" the unenlightened, and campaign to bring everyone over to their way of thinking. "Revival meetings" in the cookie aisle.... unsolicited advice at family gatherings, gentle "knocking" of other plans....

I've been feeling a bit philosophical lately.. comes from being snowed in and not wanting to deal with the -18 and colder temps outside..<sigh>

What brought this on was being told to "get your butt back on Atkins"...by a well-meaning friend.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 13:19

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

"Is dieting like religion?"

Yea, potatofree, I think for some it is. Especially the ones who have been morbidly obese, have developed health problems as a result, and have found a WOE/WOL that has improved the quality of their life so much they want to share it with everyone. Especially those they perceive to be as miserable as they once were.

I don't mind the preaching...think what a boring forum this would be if everyone sat in the back and "prayed" quietly to themselves!

Quote:
I've been feeling a bit philosophical lately.. comes from being snowed in and not wanting to deal with the -18 and colder temps outside..<sigh>

Cheer up! Spring is only a few months away!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

In a way, dieting is kind of controversial, everybody has their own opinions and sometimes is better not to mention what plan you're own on certain circles to keep the peace. You know you are not going to convert them nor do they feel the need to be converted...just do your thing silently and preach by your shrinking clothes sizes.
Remember how they say don't talk about politics or religion? Sometimes I think they should add dieting!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 16:12

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

It's not religion to me. Religion is faith based, one accepts something is true without physical proof. I approached low carb dieting sceptically, checked all the evidence I could, read scientific studies, and demanded proof. Because of what I found, I accept low carb as the best woe for me. I don't look on any of the authors of any low carb plan as having revealed truth. All have borrowed from others and have things in them that i find questionable, based on my study.
Nyah Levi
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 16:19

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I agree with the above.

Diet plans are very diverse probably more now than ever before. I guess is someone follows one plan others take it personally and feel something is wrong with their plan. It may not be intended at all , but just assumed. I have had so many comment on my plan when I first followed cad. I had a co worker just laugh and make jokes that I would take work treats home to eat at my reward meal. It was pretty cool to have this happen as I shrunk before her eyes!!!

Others had a real hard time with atkins. I was told over and over that it would make me diabetic, hurt my kidneys, raise my cholestrol.... A few family memebers actually started to read other things that advocated this way of eating and quit being critical. I am back to cad and know that it is hard for others to understand how any plan with a reward meal can work but fo me it does...It is also one that I can do with alittle more self control since the eating is 2-4 times a day. I tended to graze on atkins.

Atkins is a great plan. And I may use induction from time to time but Cad is also great.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 17:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

well my wife calls me a certified atkins preacher. evryone does seem to have there oppinions on diets and how to eat. It's like bringing up abortion or something,everything gets heated quickly. I find i do want to help people who are over weight but i try not to bring it up unless they ask then look out. ya know you really can't walk up to someone on the street and say "hey you look like you need atkins" you would probably be punched in the face. It's hard not to want to save the world.

Jon
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 18:49

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

>>>Some people sit quietly in the "cheap seats" living their chosen plan, reaping the rewards.. leading by example<<<

Reminds me of a line in the bible that goes something like "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary use words." In other words your best method of "converting" people to your way is by being a good example.

I think many things can become like a religion. We need to believe in something, if you choose not to believe in a faith then you can belive in diets, environmentalism, political views, whatever, all you need is for that thing to be important to you. Most of us simply believe without actual hard proof, others do their research and come up with what they think proves their case. Even some Christians believe that they have scientific proof of Creation rather that Evolution, so for them religion is not based on faith alone. Or so they believe.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 20:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

In a way I supose I approach diet the same way I approach religion. I study all the information I can and get as many varied views as possible. Then I formulate my own ideas and belifes, leaving my mind open and continually learning more.

I think blind faith in anything can be a problem. I'll even occasionaly argue with people who have the same ideas I do, just so they are forced to think about thier belifes. I've found the only people not willing to debate or discuss things are the people who are insecure about thier ideas.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it is a lot like religion. You have "faith" that it will work for everyone (because you may have had a positive experience), and so like a good christian, er, I mean atkinser ... you feel obligated to spread the word to other people.

It is normal for social animals like people to want to share things they think are good with other people. Unfortunately the people who have to listen to how *great* atkins is may not be quite as receptive as we would like .

I also think a lot of people feel that jumping from plan to plan isn't a good idea, which is why some pepole may be telling you to go back to Atkins. Sure, find something that works by all means, but I don't think it is a good idea to switch when it stops working. If it was working fine and then stopped it is more likely that your behavior is what is causing the plateau. Blaming the plan, and not looking at your behavior within it instead, is a recipe for disaster. Some people may be frequently cheating, eating "treat" foods too often, not counting calories, not exercising, and then blame the plan when they stall. Duh! No plan is going to work with that behavior. I'm not saying you were doing these things, but I am saying that what we choose to eat and what we do and don't do (like exercise) probably should be examined first before switching plans.

Like alcoholics, people with weight problems will only recover if they accept responsibility and make lifestyle changes.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 22:01
Fully Caffeinated

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result each time. I see no use in continuing a plan that wasn't giving me the desired result.

And yes, for the record, I exercise regularly, ate ONLY allowed foods after cutting out ALL "extras", tried raising calories, lowering calories, adding more fat, all in the name of staying on Atkins.

But thanks for the lecture, I guess you proved my original point.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 09:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I found myself the other day thinking "I'm sure Dr. Atkins didn't want people on his plan to be feeling hungry and desprived." Then I thought...eek, only one step to "What would Dr. Atkins do?" The word cult popped into my mind! I think that's a risk, especially when you have a single leader associated with a movement. And once he's dead, he can pass into myth....

I'm not literally calling Atkins a cult, nor implying that it is a religion--just noticing things that can happen when people bond around a powerful leader who offers to change their lives for the better.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 09:55
Fully Caffeinated

Quest-- I agree. I didn't mean to sound harsh in my earlier post to Woo, it's just that the implication that if you only do it "right" it works..the fault isn't the PLAN, etc...

We are all different, and when someone refuses to believe that their chosen plan just won't work for everybody, it teeters on the edge of religious fervor...it's like by switching to another plan, I've "wandered from the flock" and need saving to the "right" plan..which simply stopped being effective for me. If CAD is so wrong, and the reason Atkins quit working was some flaw on MY part..why have I lost 4 lbs this week on CAD?

No religion is perfect, no plan is perfect. I really feel uncomfortable seeing ANYONE push EITHER on someone, and refuse to see ANY flaw in their way of thinking.

My original point in starting this thread was just an observation about how diet plans in general, and the discussion boards in particular are a microcosm of society. It takes all kinds.

I was just wondering what it is about diets that makes people so evangelistic? We all want to see others be healthy, but I'm wondering what drives the need to "save the world"?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

So if we organize and form the Lc religion, think we can get our groceries tax exempt as long as they are low carb, or maybe a tax break at least?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:19
Fully Caffeinated

I'll be in charge of Low-carb communion wafers.....
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:19

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I dont know that diet is my religion, but lately my diet has become quite spiritual for me. I finally am understanding that everything I put into my body is going to directly effect how I think feel and function. I try not to preach too much about eating right or low carb, but when asked I could go on for hours. I do know this diet has given me hope.