Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 15:53

Plan: dr clarks
Stats: 210/183/168 Female 5 ft 10inches
BF:43%
Progress: 64%
Unhappy colds ? flu ? bugs ? why ?

had a bad nights sleep, I was cold and restless, turns out I have a cold! yes, another cold, I am still clinging on to the end of the last one! Not happy at all, must be lack of something, Im taking vitamins and eating healthy. SO Y???? Is anyone else suffering like this!! I am always looking spotty and snotty......I have to say I am not giving up though!! I am enjoying this most of the time!

Oh, and why do I keep getting eggs in cups at the side of my texts ?????

Last edited by twiglet : Mon, Nov-03-03 at 15:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 02:14

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Well twiglet. I think that you just have to do one more post and the egg cups will change to chicken legs. If you double click on the egg cups you will see that this results from the number of posts you have made. That is why mine is a buffalo!!!!!

Sorry to hear that you have got another cold. This can be annoying and is probably totally unrelated to your diet. It really depends on who you are mixing with. I know that travelling up to London on the train each day I'm surrounded by germs.

This is a very healthy lifestyle and so provided you are taking your vitamins and minerals and eating lots of veggies then you are doing all you can do. Funnily enough I've noticed a couple of small spots around my mouth this week. Must be the time of year. These things will pass.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 05:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hi Twiglet,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling too good. As Anne has said, low carbing is a healthy lifestyle, but unfortunately germs and bacteria can still affect us.

Have you tried taking echincea? It reinforces our natural defences by targeting viral and bacterial invaders and can speed recovery from an infection. As a cold or flu preventative, it is suggested that you take about 2-3 capsules a day (capsules containing 700 to 1000mg each).

Garlic is also good for boosting our immune system.

Hope that helps and that you feel better soon
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 06:59

Hi Demi
THANKU for the posting, and also for the advice, can I buy this echincea at my local chemist over the counter??? if so I am off to get some now....anything that's gonna help is great! I have really had enough now. My poor hubby is sick of me being so 'ill' all the time! and I certainly am fed up with feeling unwell. I eat loads of garlic (always have done) but I have a bowl of satsumas that keep staring at me !!!!! I am missing them the most! Me and the kids have (used too!) between 4-6 of them in one sitting usually, but this time around they are gobbling them up without me (((
but you are right, I have eaten sooooo much more healthily now for 7 weeks. Everybody has this at the mo and they are all saying how difficult it is to shift nowadays too, must be my age!!!!! lol
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:03

I am taking holland & barrets timed release Super One multi vitamins and have been since starting this WOL can I take these others with these do you know?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:10

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

No problem in taking them both together. I know that Holland and Barrett do Echinecea. It is often on special offer.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:15

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hi Twiglet,

Just a suggestion - you could take 1000mg per day of vit C (on top of the multi-vit that you are already taking) - that should also help to ward off colds etc.

Re the echincea, you should be able to buy it over the counter from your local chemist - Boots will also sell it, as will Holland & Barrett. You can buy it in liquid form as well.

BTW, CHarles Clark's diet allows for an orange a day, so there's no good reason why you can't have one of those satsumas on a daily basis If you need to include it in your carb count, then a satsuma has approximately 8g carbs per 100g.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:19

thankyou both, on hand too!! excellent. got replies before I got my shoes on!!! thankyou I am off to my local....I am in between work and have the bus so I cant get into town today so please please fingers x'ed I can get these at the chemist and start them into my system asap
thanks girls you are wonderful.....im feeling sooooo much better just to know you are there for me
loves ya
xx
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

The echinacea, Vit C and zinc all help, but I don't think its related to doing lowcarb - there just seem to be some very nasty bugs around at the moment. Loads of people at both my work and DH's work have had two and three bouts of flu / colds and they're not low-carbing.
Hope you're feeling better soon, take care, Jay
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:57

I have been to the chemist and got some liquid (didn't have the capsules) form of Echinecea, I have had 2 doses now. I am running a hot tub and having a long soak and an early night
thanks girls
xx
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 06:19
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

My first winter in the UK, I got every nasty cold and flu that was going around. I wasn't low-carbing at the time--I think I just had no immunity due to moving such a long distance. Hopefully this winter will be better. I am in much better health this time.

Emily
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 07:59

My friend has just gone to get me some tablet form of the Enchinacea and some more vit C
I feel better in some ways but worse in others! its moving to my chest and I may need some antibiotcis to shift it, but I will wait and see how it goes in the next day or so. It's so weird, that I can be eating soooo heathily and feel so ill...lol. I have been on this CC WOL for 7 & 1/2 weeks now so my body must still be adjusting! + the weather change!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:02

hi all,
finally got to the doctors, I have a chest and sinus infection, so on antibiotics, also been awake coughing for last few nights so I have a better cough mixture. so by Monday I should feel a lot better.
thanks for all the nice wishes I have received, much appreciated xx
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 04:59

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

hope you feel better soon twiglet
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%

You can get a really nice blackberry and echinacea drink from M&S that's only 0.1g per 100ml