Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228.5/208.5/125 Female 5 feet 3 1/2 iinches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Help! I've got diarrhea, cramps,and nausea.

Here's my story, I'll try to make it short. I was on Atkins several months ago, lost weight, loved it, went off it one night for a birthday party and had really severe cramps, and diarrhea for the next two days. Since then I've had these problems intermittently, I've been off Atkins most of the time. I had a colonoscopy during this time. My doc, who is an Atkins fan, says I have diverticulosis but he couldn't figure out why I have the problems. I've been free of problems for three weeks now, decided to go back on Atkins. Second day in (day before yesterday) I had terrible D. again, some cramps, some nausea. The only thing I can figure that's different from ordinary food is Splenda; otherwise, I had ordinary food, all of it on the induction list. I stopped the Splenda, none yesterday, none today. Still felt nauseated yesterday. Today I felt fine until I ate something, now I have nausea again. I really want to stay with Atkins but it's awful to be nauseated all the time and I'm just waiting to see if I'll come up with the cramps and d. I had before. I looked up Splenda side effects on google and except for a few "alternative" sites there doesn't seem to be much possibility that it's Splenda.

Thanks for any ideas or help about this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 08:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I have the same problem with induction for a few days. When you sent off it that one night you ate things your body has not had in a hile and it through you off. Same things happen to me. That why I dont go off!!! Now that you are back on your body is not used to this wol again and it takes time to get used to it again. Did the doc say you can take fiber?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 09:17
Registered Member

BF:

He didn't say I could or couldn't.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 09:47
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Well if you are going back on Atkins after being off of it-it could be just the normal carb detox you are experiencing. If that is it, it should clear up in a couple of days. Any fatigue?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 09:51
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hello Susanka!

I'm on the 5th week of Atkins and have had periods of nausea too, over time. It seems to help me to brew/boil some tea out of fresh thinly sliced ginger. Maybe worth a try? Generally, diarrhea, cramps and nausea is a dead giveaway of dehydration/water intoxication (different stages of the same thing, basically), i.e. too few electrolytes in your system. Do you take potassium/cal/mag/zink supplements? If not, try to get some asap.

Best of luck! I hope it'll turn out alright in the end.

Last edited by gilibel : Sun, Sep-28-03 at 09:56.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 09:52
Registered Member

BF:

Some. I was surprised yesterday by how tired I was. I'm more worried about the c,d,and n, though, since I've had them off and on now for a while. I guess my best bet is to keep on going with this for a week, stay off Splenda since that's the only new thing I've had, and see how I feel at the end of the week.

Thanks for this answer and the one above. I appreciate your help. I have a bunch of pounds to go.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 09:58
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I'm taking Atkins Basic 3 and fish oil, and I've ordered Dieters Advantage.

Thanks for your help.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 23:22

Stats: 300/300/130 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi guys I'm new to this thread but not new to Atkins, and I always feel nauseated and have diarrhea the first few days of induction. I think it's just our body getting use to it. However it always seems to subside after a few days as your body get use to the induction....
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 23:36

Plan: VLC + IF
Stats: 400/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:

i like having diarrhea, at least i know im getting rid of useless weight

diarrhea FTW
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 13:06

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeyounee
i like having diarrhea, at least i know im getting rid of useless weight

diarrhea FTW

i'd think you were joking if it weren't for the millions of people who abuse laxatives for weight loss purposes.

i would think twice about your claim that the weight is useless. when you flush out your innards you flush with it lots of minerals too. your body doesn't appreciate the loss and this says a lot about why the colon holds on to waste for so long in the first place.

you will also damage your colon lining doing this and once the damage becomes severe you will struggle with a lot of constipation in spite of the laxatives. then you will know the meaning of "useless weight".
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 14:39

Plan: Atkins 1972 version
Stats: 173/171/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38%/38%/19%
Progress: 5%

I wonder if your not coming down with something totally unrelated to Atkins or diverticulitis?? It sounds almost like a type of food poisoning or virus.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 15:32

Plan: VLC + IF
Stats: 400/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcass
i'd think you were joking if it weren't for the millions of people who abuse laxatives for weight loss purposes.

i would think twice about your claim that the weight is useless. when you flush out your innards you flush with it lots of minerals too. your body doesn't appreciate the loss and this says a lot about why the colon holds on to waste for so long in the first place.

you will also damage your colon lining doing this and once the damage becomes severe you will struggle with a lot of constipation in spite of the laxatives. then you will know the meaning of "useless weight".

I hope you're not suggesting that I am abusing laxatives...

Hot Sauce all the way lol...
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 13:01

Stats: 205/193/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I had this issue too and was thinking on several things that may have caused it - and now, having reads these posts, I have a better idea. My stomach and nausea issues started after I went off of induction for one day too. And it was never the same. But I also wondered if it was part of another ailment altogether - something not attributed to atkins, as I'd felt poorly (cold) during that time too. I still am not sure. But I too want to start it back up again and I agree that dehydration is a big key and am hopeful that if I increase my water intake and take some supplements, maybe iron/potassium - or a multi vitamin, I can make it work again. A coworker suggested I visit a local GNC store and perhaps do a 1 to 3 day cleanse (which I doubt I will do) and then get some vitamins. So I will give this one more try. I think also, I will try to incorporate less fast-food hamburgers and more healthy, acceptable carbs. I get the feeling I overdid it on the cheese/grease. But I'll say one thing, I sure don't want to feel the bad effects like I did before - from whatever it was - not worth it for me.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 14:53

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Try some broth to both settle your stomach, and replace any sodium you might be losing from both the carb detox and the digestive problems? (The electrolyte stuff, as mentioned, could be making it worse.)

I'd definitely try to eat clean lowcarb, though.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 16:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Give us some idea of what you're eating. Especially if you're eating something on Atkins that you're not when you get off the diet. In particular, some of the LC foods can be problematic.

My list of foods that give me GI issues includes: nuts, seeds, gluten, dairy

So perhaps it's a particular food you're eating when you eat LC.