Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 02:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%
Default Update from Boots on The Sticks of Doom

A very nice lady called me this morning. She was quite understanding of my concerns. The gist of it is this:

The sale of the sticks is down to the individual pharmacist.

It is NOT a Boots policy to not sell the sticks to non-diabetics.

Should the buyer be well informed and not trying to diet into oblivion, they should sell them to us but again, it is down to the individual.

Boots pharmacists are governed by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society and as such, have to adhere to their guidelines and you can imagine what their guidelines regarding Atkins are.

This is the website for the RPS

http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/

I feel that perhaps it is them we need to voice our concerns to. They, in turn, are guided by nutritionists who unfortunately are drilled into the Low fat high carb way of life and most of whom will not be budged.
Despite our obvious results, which should not be discounted but are, they cannot see that we have every right to eat the way we choose.

One incident that this nice lady told me of did worry me a little. She has worked shop front and does indeed know of the Atkins plan. She didn't sound too averse to it either which is always an encouraging sign. Anyway, she had somebodyin the shop that was on Atkins and said that she 'couldn't eat tomatoes as they had too many calories in'.

Now, no WONDER that people think we're all crazy if that's the kind of disinformation that is given out. It is our duty to read the book and follow this plan how we have been taught. We must be as well informed as we possibly can so that any information we give out is correct and not misleading in any way shape or form. My heart goes out to that lady with the tomato probelm - she obviously had no idea what Atkins is all about.

My next step will be the RPS I think. I would like to challenge one of their nutritionists to stay with me and eat as I do for a week or two and see how they feel/what they think of how we eat.

Here we go!

(I feel a little like spouting "we will fight them on the beaches")
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 03:17
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Well done you!!
Even though there is the odd individaul ( like the tomato lady) isnt that the case with everything.
Look at people who are bulmic, they make themselves sick and buy laxitives not healthy at all but you can srill walk into a branch of boots and but them!! (and they have them in different forms sucha as ex lax its like eating a bit of chocolate what sort of message is that sending out?)
I know we can still buy those sticks at other chemists, buit what if they start jumpin on the bandwagon, and refuse to sell them also what then??
Keep us posted lisa and if you need me to do anything to help our plight let me know and I will do it!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 05:03

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Lisa

Glad they got back to you. As you say there is so much misinformation on there. That is one great thing about this site, it helps fill in all those gaps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:23
Yo-Yo

The more I think about this the more annoyed I get the lady in Boots told a bare face lie,she told me that the sticks where percription only If I thought about this at the time I would have realised if an item is perscription only NO chemist would have it for sale as an over the counter product!!
If you aint gonna sell the sticks for whatever reason BOOTS at least have the courage and conviction to state the reason why, instead on fobing us of with excuses like "they are only available on perscription for diabetics"
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:03

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

but yet they sell with no questions asked Slimfast products, their own diet products, and those tablets that are supposed to help you lose weight?? And as someone else said they sell the Atkins book!! Complete and utter madness.
Haven't asked in my local Boots yet, haven't had the time but the more i read the more effort i will put into getting there...lol
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:19

Well if we all call and moan...you never know what might happen!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:06

BF:

hehehe
Finally went in to Boots today to ask for the killer sticks and guess what i was refused!!
It started off ok the woman said good morning how can i help you, then i asked for the sticks and got a stern 'WHY DO YOU WANT THEM?'
Kept a straight face (should of been an actress) and said well i only know of one use for them, what else would i want them for.
Then got told they were prescription only but i could get them at another chemist. Asked her why i could get them from another chemist over the counter but not there and she said because they only allow people to have them on prescription. Still keeping a straight face i asked her again why i could only have them on prescription and she said they only sell them on prescription and that she didn't know why (Yeah right!)

I then accused Boots of trying to make a profit out of diabetic people, as obviously a prescription is a lot dearer than the sticks. The woman said that this wasn't true as all Diabetics get free prescriptions which i know for a fact isn't true. Only diabetics that have to inject insulin get free prescriptions, the majority of diabetics are tablet or diet controlled and they do not get free prescriptions, told her this but it didn't make any difference. Also said that i think refusing to sell the sticks over the counter was damn right dangerous.
Anyway the woman wasn't gonna sell me the sticks so i told her i will be taking the matter further. Going to leave it a few days then go back in and speak to the pharmacist armed with the information Lisa got, and demand to know why i cannot buy the sticks. Hehehe i'm such a little trouble maker.

Went to the chemist right next door and asked for the sticks, the girl went off and asked the pharmacist and i thought here we go. He asked me if i was diabetic and urgently needed them to which i relied no. He then appologised and explained he only had one lot left and he had put these by for a lady who needed them for her DOG, i think her dog is probably diabetic and not on the Atkins diet Anyway he told me he was expecting a delivery tomorrow morning would i mind coming back then, i am still totally amazed with the attitude of Boots who do they think they are the stick police?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:49
Yo-Yo

Good on you ebbie, but as far as I am aware and if I am correct it is a lie you can only get them on perscription. If an item is perscription ONLY then that is the case with all items. I have to get betnovate scalp aplication which contains a steriod (not like the one body builders use) it is percription only!! So say for example Boots refused me as I didnt have a perscription, I couldnt then march round to Superdrug to buy it there!!
So its not bad enough they wont sell us these sticks, but the fact they think we are stupid and can lie to us GRRRR!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:07
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I don't even use the sticks, and Boots' attitude infuriates me.

I think we should get all the UK lowcarbers together and have a National Pee-In at all the local Boots.

Emily
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:15

BF:

LOL i didn't want the sticks. If they had offered to sell me them i was going to pretend i had left my purse at home.

Sign me up for the pee-in!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 03:11
Yo-Yo

That will pee on their parade (excuse the pun!!)
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 04:26

I suggest you call Boots Customer Service, ask to speak to the Pharmacy Superintendant and report this woman. She was lying to you, out and out lying. That is misinformation and unaccaptable. Don't let it drop though.

Tell them exactly what you've said here and note the date and time.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 10:10

Stats: 287/284/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Prescription only medicines have POM written on the packet. Ketostiks do not, therefore not a prescription only item.
In fact thinking about it they are not a medicine at all since they are not swallowed or applied to the body like a tablet or cream!