Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/170/125
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile Just like McDonald's Breakfast Burritos

Hi Everyone! I haven't been here long, but I've been enjoying the recipes. I thought I'd share my own favorite egg variation.

Please note that I'm making this for my whole family, but the leftovers keep well in the fridge for a few days.

1 dozen eggs, beaten
1 lb. carb-free bulk breakfast sausage
One small can green chiles, chopped
Cheddar cheese...I used about 3 ounces, but you can play with it.

Brown the sausage, drain it and set it aside. Scramble the eggs. (I use the sausage pan.) Mix in half of the chopped green chiles (save the other half for next time) and the sausage when the eggs are about half cooked, but wait to add the cheese until it's very close to done, to avoid having it all stick to the pan. Mmm...yummy.

If you wanted to make it very McD's like, and you aren't on induction, like me, you could use a low-carb tortilla, put a slice of American cheese on it, then fill it with the scrambled egg mixture and roll it up. I think they also add some red pepper for color, but I can't taste it, so I didn't add any.

Enjoy

Last edited by AmandaH : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 08:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:08

Plan: I do my own thing...LOL
Stats: 220/207/190 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 43%

I LOVE BREAKFAST BURRITOS!!!

I just wanted to add a suggestion for anyone in a hurry and/or lazy (like me) who doesn't like to chop things up.

Rather than using the green chilis, I add about 2-3 Tablespoons (more or less to taste) of Pace Picante Salsa to the eggs. Add the salsa after the eggs are just about done, and heat just long enough to warm the salsa. The salsa has the green chilis in it and this way you aren't added chilled salsa to your warm burrito!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

low carb tortillias are allowed on induction.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:00

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

I'll try this for my husband -- he doesn't cook, but has ventured into making his own eggs cooked over-hard and even took a course on making deviled-eggs when I last made them.

I've figured that if I keep some shredded cheese available and reduce the number of ingredients in a recipe to manageable numbers (3 or less for his attention span in the kitchen) I can encourage him to make at least his own breakfast, if not anyone else's.

This sounds like something he would enjoy, and without the LC tortillas, as he avoids "extras" that boost carb counts needlessly. He began making wraps more than 10 years ago before they were "in", and used to be a carb-loader extraordinaire, so to forego a tortilla is a big deal.

Thanks the the recipe!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
Stats: 293/277/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALLQUEEN

What page in the DANDR is that on please?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 07:37

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALLQUEEN

I have not been able to find this information in the book. Is this trus?? Also where can I find low carb tortias and what is considered low cab??? How many carbs per serving
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 06:34

Plan: Atkins-modified diabetic
Stats: 259/259/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

There is a tortilia-like food that is acceptable on Atkins Induction phase, however the term used here is 'pancake' which, in the 1992 reprint of the popular 1970's DANDR, is used in the following context, taken directly from the book:

Quote:
Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution - Page 306 - Part V, Section II - Typical Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Selctions, listed under 'Induction'.

Basic pancakes--This deserves specal mention. The erecipe will work as crepes, as well as pancakes and can be used as the basis for blintez, tacos, dessert crepe or pork or chicken mu shu. It is an enormously adabptable snack ingredient.

Then, the recipe itself shown on page 373:

1/2 C soya powder
3 eggs
1/2 C water
1/4 tsp salt
cooking oil

Combine first four ingredients in a blender.
Heat 8-inch omlet pan or skillet covered with oil. When oil is piping hot, add 3 T of batter. Spread evenly in pan. Saute quickly on side, then the other. Put pancake on platter and finish batter.

6 servings

Total = 12g
Per Serving = 2.0

Just a thought...for anyone interested in making their own LC bases for these burritos.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 21:03

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Researched Induction

I researched Induction before beginning and torillas were not on the list. It said I could have certain veggies, certain cheeses, eggs, meat, butter, mayo, and certain oils. Exactly where on the Atkins site does it state that? You really can't go by the recipe selections because from what I understand some of those are shared by LCers and so when allowed is their opinion. Induction is meant to be pretty lean on choices. I can see adding the LC tortillas later, but not during Induction. If it were on the list then I would have definitely been having those because then I could have Quesadeas (I know, I need to learn how to spell)! What is the carb, calorie, fat, and protein stats on this item? And ingredients? I know, I can get all this from the store but I don't buy groceries until Friday evening!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 00:26

Stats: 198/198/121.2 Female 5"1
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejereeno
There is a tortilia-like food that is acceptable on Atkins Induction phase, however the term used here is 'pancake' which, in the 1992 reprint of the popular 1970's DANDR, is used in the following context, taken directly from the book:

6 servings

Total = 12g
Per Serving = 2.0

Just a thought...for anyone interested in making their own LC bases for these burritos.

Did you try substituting the soy flour with atkins bake mix?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 18:28
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Just to let you know: low carb tortillas are NOT allowed on Induction. Please refer to the allowable food list for induction.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 12:10

Plan: zone
Stats: 175/175/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Although low carb tortillas are not mentioned in DANDR (nor are pork rinds), the book may have been printed (2002) before the introduction of many of the new low carb choices. On the Atkins.com web page, there is a recipe for Ham-Cheese-Spinach Stromboli that uses low carb tortillas, and is approved for the Induction phase.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 11:49

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 190/145/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltjonn
Although low carb tortillas are not mentioned in DANDR (nor are pork rinds), .

I'm sorry, pork rinds are not specifically mentioned but neither is venison or rabbit, but they're all MEAT, which is definitely allowed on induction.

#13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 07:49

Stats: 305/214/175 Female 5,7
BF:
Progress:

I think she is right, low carb tortillas are ok for phase I, so is I slice of Low-Carb bread. When you look in his book for menu idea's he has it on induction.

GCS
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 21:29

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:

MissScruff if you read Atkin's newer books, I believe I read it in Atkin's Essentials, it DOES include Atkins Tortillas and Bread.

I too miss mcdonald's breakfasts! I make my own mock bacon, egg, and cheese bisquit. I will post it in a new thread, so check it out!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 08:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
MissScruff if you read Atkin's newer books, I believe I read it in Atkin's Essentials, it DOES include Atkins Tortillas and Bread.

Yes, but the Essentials book was written by Atkins Nutritionals, not by Dr Atkins. AN happens to sell bread and tortillas. Hmmm...