Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: Dillard Diet
Stats: 227/150/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Starting Again! Suggestions?

I started working out again today, after months of not stepping into a gym. I only did thirty minutes of light cardio with 3 lb weights in my hands, but it's something!

I realized that I have to start working out again if I plan of keeping my sanity. I started my low-carb journey at the beginning of this year, and jumped into it full-force- strict diet, and working out 7 days a week. I started small, but by February, I was doing two hours a day- an hour of hardcore cardio and an hour of weights. I was losing. I started at 226 and got down to 180 around the end of March/ beginning of April. Then....I stopped losing weight. Same crazy workout schedule, but no weight loss. I now know that it was probably due to my eating.

I hurt my ribs in May and had to stop working out- even cardio made them hurt. Lo and behold, the weight started coming off again (probably muscle mass, I know.) My stupid self freaked, though....I was terrified I would gain all the weight back because I wasn't working out, so I reduced my caloric intake. I continued to lose weight throughout the summer and have recently hit a plateau/ bump. I know that to be healthy I have to eat adequate amounts of food and work out.

Wow, that was so much longer than it needed to be, lol. Do you guys have any suggestions on exercise exclusively for losing/ burning fat? I have no interest in getting cut or gaining tons of muscle. I just want to stay looking skinny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-09, 11:34
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Wow, you seem to have stumbled into breaking your plateaus. Your right, you probably did lose some muscle when you stopped exercising and reduced your calories, now your kind of stuck right? You can't really reduce your calories too low, or your metabolism will come to a screaching halt. So, you must create a calorie deficit with exercise. So, start up again. The three hours a day is probably not necessary, your not going to lose as fast as you did in the beginning simply because you really don't have much more to lose, and the last 10 pounds is very difficult. Eventhough you may not want to be cut with tons of muscle, you should still lift weights. It'll benefit you in the long run, trust me. You'll be able to eat more calories and still maintain, without having to exercise more. You get more bang for your buck with lifting. But cardio is important too. Personally, I do cardio (running) 4 days a week (about 45minutes per session) and lift weights 2 days per week-at least. If I have more time do more lifting, I will. I do more cardio than lifting simply because I love to run. I don't enjoy lifting weights, but I know it needs to be done.