Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 08:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I did heavy duty martial arts for a few years without dieting. I didn't really lose weight, but I lost a lot of size. I wonder if they're not counting fat loss, but just pounds lost?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

People who look at excercise only as a way to burn calories are missing the point. When I lift weights I'm not thinking "now I'm going to burn away that cake I ate earlier today". I'm thinking about the lean muscle I'm slowly building that in turn will burn calories and fat 24/7, even while I'm asleep. As already stated, excercise will tone and define the shape of your body, a must if you have lost a lot of weight.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 12:17

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Exactly. It's wrong to focus on exercise for any weight loss benefits. Exercises brings it's own rewards. Apart from being toned you also gain strength and fitness. It's a pleasure to be able to walk fast without getting exhausted and out of breath. It feels good to be able to lift heavy objects without having to call for help. It just feels plain good to be strong and fit.

And there is another, yet often ignored reason for excercise. After a certain age, the expression "use it or loose it" becomes very true. If you don't want to end up a frail little old lady that needs a walker to get around, you need to stay physically active in order to maintain your muscle mass.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 12:51

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have been going to Curves since November. I have not lost any weight but I did lose a few inches. I am stronger and I have to work harder to get my heart rate up. Exercise is beneficial for what it is capable of doing.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 14:03

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up

Quote:
On an individual level, the failure of exercise to contribute to weight loss in a predictable manner could be a major deterrent to continued involvement in an exercise program. Overweight individuals who begin an exercise program would likely remain motivated only if they see some changes in body composition resulting from their efforts.

That's why I don't exercise. But I am active (I walk everywhere possible, I hike, I dance, and I bike). I wish they would look at activity versus exercising. I don't believe formal exercising is necessary if we are active. The real problem is just getting out there and being active.

Actually, to give this article credit, they do talk more about physical activity and fitness rather than formal exercise. And they talk about being active for the activity's sake.

Quote:
Weight loss is frequently cited as one of the most common reasons for beginning an exercise program. In light of the negative results from studies on physical activity and weight loss, continued efforts in this direction may be counterproductive. Many obese individuals have become frustrated with exercise since their efforts often do not lead to corresponding changes in weight or body composition. Rather than encouraging these individuals to lose weight it is more appropriate and probably more effective to encourage them to just become physically active.

Yup! I've never had any weight-related benefit that I could tell from exercising. When I was maintaining, increasing or decreasing my exercise made no difference. The real difference being active does for me is that I feel so much better doing it. And I have fun!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 14:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
That's why I don't exercise. But I am active (I walk everywhere possible, I hike, I dance, and I bike). I wish they would look at activity versus exercising. I don't believe formal exercising is necessary if we are active. The real problem is just getting out there and being active.

Walking, hiking, dancing and biking are all exercise activities. So you do exercise.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 15:33

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Walking, hiking, dancing and biking are all exercise activities. So you do exercise.

No I don't. I refuse to think of it as exercise. Exercise is dull and leads nowhere. I won't do it.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: looking into g.i. diet
Stats: 248/187/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Better lose skin than filled to bursting.

Donate the excess to burn wards.

you know, this is an excellent idea. I hadn't even thought about it. Thanks for posting this wonderful insight.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 10:06

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Donate the excess to burn wards.

Can you actually do that ? I know you can donate your organs, and that skin is an organ, but I was under the impression that skin was something they would take from one part of your body to put elsewhere. So do they actually sometimes "transplant" skin from donors as well ?

And let's say this is possible, I wonder who would pay for removing the skin. Interesting question