Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 23:52

Plan: Starting SoBe
Stats: 140/140/130 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default YUM! or ewwwwwwwww

What are you oppinions on some of the recipies in the book or for this diet period? I would like everyone to share what taste really good, good, average or just plain ole nasty to them. Like for me the thought of drinking tomatoe juice for breakfast sound nasty so does riccote cheese and the Laughing Cow cheese, what kind of cheese is that anyways? But i start tomorrow......or should i say today since it after 12am so YOU GUYS WISH ME LUCK OK Anways, like i was saying share how you feel certain things taste on this diet. I will really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 05:53
Registered Member

Plan: Southkins
Stats: 280/252/190 Female 5'9"
BF:Let's/notgo/there
Progress: 31%

I had no problem with the ricotta cheese snack...matter of fact, I really am not a chocolate lover but I found the chocolate concoction very satisfing! I love tomato juice so that wasn't a problem. Laughing Cow cheese can be purchased in flavors and it has the consistancy of cheese whiz right out of the jar. It's not bad....no it's not a favorite cheese of mine, but it tastes just fine. I just prefer hard cheeses. I ate Laughing Cow cheese on cucumber slices as I really don't care for raw celery. Breakfast was my hardest meal because I don't care for eggs at all, but when I eat breakfast, I do want it to be breakfast like. I had to get a little more creative with that. The only thing that I made from the book was the dilled shrimp salad and honestly, I did'nt care for it. Luckily, cooking and coming up with ideas is not a problem for me, so I sort of just looked at the book, looked at the ok list of foods on phase 1 and modified my diet to fit. The first four days were my hardest. I relied a lot on sugar free jello to get me through the carb cravings as well as sugar free popsicles. I have lost and I have much more to lose, but today marks the 2 phase for me. I am a little scared of adding any carbs to my diet but as long as I don't gain, I will stay focused. Just keep an open mind and try some of the foods you are not familiar with. Naturally, ricotta cheese is not a big bowl of ice cream, but having it rather that ice cream as a snack isn't going to add to the weight issue either.Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 07:51

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

We haven't used any recipies from the SB book. Most of them don't look that great to us. My DW and I are pretty good cooks, one of the things that made me fat, and we use the 'foods to avoid and foods to enjoy' lists along with the meal plans and recipies as a guide.

We don't care for the fake foods or artificial sweets.

We grilled chicken, steak, chops, and fish. We have lots of fresh veg, salad, grilled veg, and stir fried veg. We use deli meats, fresh veg, cottage cheese, and low carb wraps at lunch. Snacks are mostly cheese and nuts. We've re-introduced small apples, strawberries and dried apricotes.

Getting enough fiber seems to be the hardest. I'm having Uncle Sams cereal 3 times a week. Eggs the rest of the time.

Day 32
Phase II
Down 16lbs.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:24

Plan: south beach
Stats: 180/169/155 Female 69"
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

I didn't like the riccota (sp?) cheese thing at all. I like my riccota in a pasta, so the sweetness was just not the flavor I wanted. I love the ff jello with ff whip cream (not a recipe, but yumm). I didn't like the dill shrimp at all. I could have made something, so much taster myself with that shimp. I also didn't like the chicken saute. It seemed dry to me. I like my george forman to cook chicken on. I pretty much just cook my own recipes now. I try one of his every once in a while. I have the idea of what to eat, and what not to eat...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 14:43

Plan: south beach
Stats: 205/203/165 Female 5ft.9 in.
BF:
Progress:

Hmmmmm... I must be the only one that found the meals quite tasty from the SBD book... and I love to cook... but had to change my ways and skip all the fats and high cholesterol foods... as well as giving up breads, rice and potatoes... so i did find some of the recipes quite clever
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 238.4/235.6/160 Female 5'7
BF:soo much
Progress: 4%

I love the laughing cow cheese. I cook it in my scrambled eggs, The cucumber and laughing cow sounds good. I will have to try!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 21:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%

I personaly dont care for those recipes at all. I dont mind ricotta cheese . but alot of those recipes are seafood and i dont do seafood. as far as laughing cow cheese goes(never seen it before) it sounds repulsive . Personally i like to snack on queso fresco made with skim milk.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 183/175/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 19%

I didn't care for the tomato juice either, but V-8 is okay, so that's what I drink. Some of the recipes are good, some too complex and bothersome. I pretty much do my own thing, sticking with the "Foods to Enjoy" list like pstar does. Grilled meat or fish, lots of fresh veggies. Trader Joe's has some fantastic turkey sausages.

I hate the ricotta. <gack>
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 224/213.0/145 Female 5.6
BF:??
Progress: 14%
Default South Beach Foods

Oh my gosh yall ~ OK, Listen...

Laughing Cow is the name brand of the cheese. Like Smuckers is the brand name of the jelly. I could understand yall thinking it sounds gross, since you have never heard of it before... If you had never heard of Smuckers before, and someone urged you to have Smuckers on toast, you would be like... what the he!! - I'm not eating that - Smuckers doesn't sound good... but we all know the truth - Smuckers is very good... So.... my point is... have an open mind, and just try it!!! I love Laughing Cow, I have eaten it for years. I like the Low-Fat Swiss. It comes in a cardboard circle-shaped box which contains 6 individual wrapped wedges (single servings) which is a perfect amount to fill up two sticks of celery. So, for $2.50 and 1 bunch of celery, you have an entire weeks worth of snacks! Not bad!

Be OPEN minded!!!

Last night I made the cauliflower mashed potatoes... they were pretty darn good!!! Even my husband ate some... I used one head of cauliflower, with 2 tablespoons of can't beleive it's not butter, 2 tablespoons of fat free 1/2 & 1/2, lots of freshed cracked pepper and salt to taste. It was pretty good...

I am only on day 4 of the induction phase, and I have stuck to the menu pretty good ~ tonight we will have flounder!!! I like all kinds of food ~ and stay open minded to try everything ~ and if I don't like it, I won't eat it, and I won't make it againg. Just at least TRY everything once... you will be surprised what you may fall in love with. I have to admit, I was saying "YUCKY" when I put the steamed cauliflower into the food processor last night and watched it turn to mush, but after I fixed it with the salt and pepper, I was saying "YUMMY" So, I will make those again, soon! But next time, I will add a few drops of BEANO to the mix.

Sorry it is such a long response ~ But yall have got to be open minded for this diet to work!!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:27

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Janeen, try the lauging cow cheese in your cauliflower mashed potatoes, its yummy!

Wee
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 224/213.0/145 Female 5.6
BF:??
Progress: 14%

One whole wedge? YUM, I bet that would be good! I will give it a try!!! Thanks!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 18:11

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I usually put cream cheese in mine and it helps to give it a more "mashed potatoe" like texture. I bet the LC Cheese would do the same. I have been eating mashed cauliflower for a few years now. I even at it when I did Weight Watchers.

Wee