Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 07:35
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%
Default Treadmill VS Ski Machine

I tried the ski machine (eliptical machine?) yesturday, and I noticed I actually dropped a pound, as opposed to the 2.0 miles I have been walking on the treadmill and not really having much effect on me. I also burned more calories in less amount of time. Should I switch over to the ski machine permantely? Or are there benefits of the treadmill that the ski machine doesn't have?

Also, do the stairsteppers actually help tone your legs and glutes? And how much time should I plan on spending on it to actually see results?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 08:41
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

You can use any of these machines for a good cardio workout... it really is a preference of your choice. I am not a big fan of the elipical's becasue my feet/toes always fall aslepp. Yes, stair steppers can build your glutes and tone legs.

They key on any of these machines is to get your heartrate up. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is one of the best ways to get your heart going and rev up your metablolism.... When I do my treadmill workout I start with a quick walk... at one minute I jog slowly for 30 seconds then back to a quick walk for another 30 seconds. At 2 minutes in I take it up to a faster jog/run for one minute. Then back down to a quick walk... back up, then down, etc.... each time taking the running speed a little bit faster. By the time I finish I am not only drenched in sweat but feel great!

You need to get your heart and body moving to make cardo effective. I usually do 20 minutes of cardio... i also do weight training.

Cardio is great for heart health but it is weight training that will really speed up weight loss. Have you considered mixing in some weight training with your cardio?

Kiks
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 03:40

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

Nets33- If you do the Elliptical next time focus on your heel to toe approach. Thats partly the reason why your feet fall asleep. Mine do as well because Im putting too much emphasis on the ball of my feet to move.
Akasha- I would also (like Nets) incorporate more weights if you do not already do. But to your question about the treadmill or the elliptical, I would prefer the Elliptical because you are using both upper and lower body simultaneously, you'll have less impact on your joints also so that you CAN increase the intensity. I would suggest running or inclines on the treadmill for increased intensity (or HIIT), but I love the elliptical because you can also vary it up a little by for example:
1 minutes- use your arms as the focus of movement
1-minute- use your legs
1 minutes use both,
Sometimes Ill use just one arm (keeping both on the handles though) and push/pull 10x, switch arms and then rest. Try that 3x.
Makes it alittle more fun that way too.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/153/120 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress:
Default Impatient to see results

How quickly can we expect to see results if we do 40min cardio (getting heart rate way up) 3 times a week (willing to up to 4 if will speed things up a lot...)

If I have an idea I think I can stick with it (only 2wks in) but I can't find any info on when I can start to see results (am trying to slim down and tone up)...nobody else as impatient as me???
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 11:13
weighing in....

Cardio will help you slim down...

Weight lifting will help you tone up...

If you can keep at it for at least 4 weeks it will become a habit for you. As for when you will see the results...??? Sorry to say that is different for everyone.

You may notice that you will be able to run longer or faster but how that will effect your body shape and size depends on your body chemistry.

I've been doing cardio and weight training since January and have been very impressed with the change in my body. It will take some time but it will happen.

Good luck,
Kiks
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/153/120 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress:
Default Feel better!

I know I just need to keep it up...I am impatient by nature and cannot wait to see results though!
Thanks for your reply nets33...4wks...hey, I'm half way there! I can keep that up for sure...hopefully you are right and by then it will be a habit...I do feel so good when I finish, rather than like a lump of lard as I do the rest of the day!
Well done on your progress, I hope to say the same in a few months Particularly if I jump around like that!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 13:58
weighing in....

Good luck....

There are still days when i don't feel like getting in the workout... but when I don't I feel guilty!

Keep it up...

And stop jumping darn it!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 19:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

nets33 is right on this one, i have started stairmaster, skiing machine and swimming and now i am turning into one of thoses cardio machines lol.

I dont really do the HIIT cause of my lower back but can still do a good hour on both plus 30 minutes of swimming.

I dont train legs at all yet they are shapping up like crazy.

I sometimes alternate days between stairmaster and skiing machine on thoses days i do 45 minutes.

I am up to 6 times a day and feel great.